Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorised bicycle

• 25-05-2021 6:25pm

Firstly by motorised bicycle. I mean one that uses either a small petrol engine and yes, I am fully aware that they are illegal to use on public roads without tax or insurance.

The good news is I recently got a new job, which I will hopefully be beginning next week. Unfortunately I don't currently drive at the moment so my only option is to either beg for lifts off my parents or have to rely on public transport. For those of you that use our wonderful national bus service, you will know that sometimes they tend to treat the timetable as merely a good suggestion rather than you know. I timetable you should stick to

I reckon my chances of getting caught are slim to none. Because all of my commute will be along rural backroads most likely either early in the morning or later into the night and I plan to shut off the engine when I am coming into one of the towns on my route.

Will anyone here admit to using a petrol engine on their bike and could you recommend me a kit or a supplier of a whole bike with kit.

I'm also open to the suggestion of building a DIY E bike which I know is slightly more legal, but I have no idea where to even begin looking for the bits I need.

Sorry about the long post. Hope you are all keeping well during these difficult times.

Comments

Just get/build an ebike

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Firstly by motorised bicycle. I mean one that uses either a small petrol engine and yes, I am fully aware that they are illegal to use on public roads without tax or insurance.

The good news is I recently got a new job, which I will hopefully be beginning next week. Unfortunately I don't currently drive at the moment so my only option is to either beg for lifts off my parents or have to rely on public transport. For those of you that use our wonderful national bus service, you will know that sometimes they tend to treat the timetable as merely a good suggestion rather than you know. I timetable you should stick to

I reckon my chances of getting caught are slim to none. Because all of my commute will be along rural backroads most likely either early in the morning or later into the night and I plan to shut off the engine when I am coming into one of the towns on my route.

Will anyone here admit to using a petrol engine on their bike and could you recommend me a kit or a supplier of a whole bike with kit.

I'm also open to the suggestion of building a DIY E bike which I know is slightly more legal, but I have no idea where to even begin looking for the bits I need.

Sorry about the long post. Hope you are all keeping well during these difficult times.

Don’t be breaking the law.
    Get a suitable ebike that meets the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

All employers should be offering the bike to work scheme.
    If your employer is of any size at all, make enquiries. Then get yourself an e-bike.
    All kinds of hassle waiting for you with a petrol bike. Lawbreaking, insurance issues should you crash into someone else.
    It's a grand idea. But it's half baked. Focus on your new job and put your best foot forward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unfortunately if you want to build a bike you admit is a motorbike, it's not a cycling forum question...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement