Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last night in soho -Edgar Wright

• 25-05-2021 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭

trailer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Looks fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks really interesting, like something a bit darker than Wright's usual fare. That little freeze-frame at the end was a nice touch - I miss those kind of creative flourishes rarely seen with trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Looks fantastic.

kinda nice when a modern trailer give you a tone but hasn't given away the whole movie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

Getting some Black Swan/Midnight in Paris vibes. Looks great though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Getting a Hitchcock vibe from that teaser. Looks good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Here was I thinking it was Petula Clark bio pic at the start.

Anya Taylor-Joy has a great voice that girl is seriously talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Looks heavily inspired by the giallo films. Particularly Argento.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

p to the e wrote: »

Don't think it's a coincidence at all: Wright has spoken before of his love of Argento, Suspiria in particular so this must have been his chance to go all-in on his admiration;

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/28/from-rosemarys-baby-to-suspiria-five-directors-on-cinemas-scariest-moments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

p to the e wrote: »

get goblin in to do the soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Just read that he says Nicholas Roeg's "Don't Look Now" and Polanski's "Repulsion" were heavy inspirations.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/edgar-wright-last-night-in-soho-plot-time-travel-horror-1202185691/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,805 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thomasin McKenzie looks like Abigail Breslin

A new trailer has appeared; seems a touch more plot'y and what the actual set up is. Am always excited for a new Edgar Wright feature, especially such an obviously Argento inspired one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wow. Definitely gives a better idea of the plot.

Looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I saw this tonight.

It's kind of awful to be honest, a mess..but looks fantastic.

Really disappointed overall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

Kind of agree, was disappointed in this.

Thought the performances and visuals were pretty great but it felt a bit one note.

It's definitely a throwback but with all the drawbacks that come with that as well. It was slow and not especially scary or thrilling. Tonally it felt a bit messy and not entirely sure about the execution of the ending, there's a weird level of sympathy for one of the characters that feels a bit misguided.

Probably my least favourite of Wright's films and wouldn't recommend rushing out to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I saw this last night and it really begins to lose it's footing in the second half, and falls apart in the last act. Such a shame as the pairing of Thomasin & Anya worked well, and the mirrored/dancing set pieces were setting the mood well. It's like Edgar Wright had half an idea and just didn't know what to do with it. The ending was embarrassingly bad, and the film ends up confused with what its message is.

What a disappointing mess this was. Perhaps Wright might have been in such a hurry to get his Giallo on, he forgot the rest. It was an Edgar Wright flick so it was as stylish as always, but the story and shape was all over the place. He definitely should leave the writing to others in future. Easily his poorest film, with World's End now having a competitor for last place in his CV; though at least the older film snuck a story about addiction into an alien invasion - I'm not sure what can be taken from his latest.

And the most unbelievable aspect of this film's story TBH was the degree of patience and decency the present day boyfriend displayed. With the best will in the world, the film from HIS perspective would have had him exit her orbit after the first explosion of insanity.

You must have forgotten what it was like being 18 and wanting to get laid :D

Couldn't disagree more on your review though, I thought this was a really fantastic piece of work. Sure it was stretching things in the story, but I think it requires the viewer buying into it somewhat, seeing it in the right frame of mind. It reminded me of Cronenberg and Lynch a bit, a good dose of madness can be very refreshing.

What I'll say in its favour is that I was never bored for a second; always intrigued to see how it panned out. Even if the pay off and end product was a bit of a hot mess, I'll always give more dues for something that tries, than those that barely register an effort. (Severe stink eye towards Red Notice). The movie itself was disappointing, but it has value, creativity and is worth talking about. That's not nothing.

And I may have once been horny and 18 but not to the extent that a make out session ending the way that it did, or "the other thing" would make me return. Methinks Wright simply forgot the character hadn't the perspective we the audience would have had - but wanted "the good guy" who was emotionally more moral than the cretins of the 60s section.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really liked this, and while I can see the criticisms folk might have of it, in my experience those tend to apply to giallo films of the sort Wright was trying to evoke. It looked and sounded great, and managed that rarity for me - a jump scare that actually landed effectively and didn't feel like a cheat.

Definitely one that benefits from a cinema viewing, or if not then as good and loud a sound system as possible.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity which scare was that @Fysh ?

One thing remains true; there are few directors so talented at marrying music/audio to actions on screen as Edgar Wright.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 84,805 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's on Sky Premiere Movies now

Advertisement