Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yet another new bike query on BTW scheme

Options
  • 24-05-2021 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

I have a now 10yo Lapierre Audacio 400L, Tiagra groupset & shifters, I upgraded wheels to Shimano RS80 C24 about 8years ago, basically all is very old, bike weights 9.4kg.

I have an option to purchase a new bike on BTW scheme which is worth 1250eur.
    I'd like to move up the level from the entry level bike and purchase something more errr.... refined?
    My plan is to sell my current bike (I'm guessing it might be worth around 300eur), add another 500-600eur in cash, which brings the total budget up to 2k.

I don't ride much, up to 100km per week, I go out for 20-30km spins, push hard and go home style.

Do you think it's worth messing around, or I just end up with more or less the same bike which rides the same as my old but perfectly good one :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

To be honest I'd buy a new bike if I was you. €2,000 should get you something decent and the bike to work takes the sting out if the up front costs. Should be a decent upgrade from a 10 year old bike to something modern.

I have a carbon bike with upgraded wheels. Nothing high end or anything but a decent bike even though I'm only out for 30-40km once or twice a week, you don't need to do big mileage to enjoy it or to warrant an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Always worth buying a new bike and 10 years means the ils bike owes you nothing at all. You've gotten your value out of it.

Couple of things I would say:

For the sake of the couple of hundred quid you'd get in the sale, if the lapierre is a working bike in rideable condition it is worth far more to you to keep and use as a winter trainer / foul weather trainer / indoor trainer / faffing around bike and save your new bike as your "good" bike

Also, while a new bike is always nice, right now is a particularly bad time to buy a new bike. Record high demand at a time of record low stock. So your choice is severely limited and there are NO bargains anywhere. So you take what you can get, if you can get it, and pay full whack, like it or lump it.
    Therefore, there's a strong argument for me to hold off, (you've waited 10 years, what's one more) until some normality returns to the market and you can walk into a bike shop and choose from a range of specs and colours and brands. Instead of empty shelves, head shaking and shoulder shrugging and vague promises of maaaaybe being able to get you one in mid September, but not in that colour and not sure about the wheels... :(:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I cant see you selling a 10year old bike for €300 when you can outlay €400-500 on a new bike worth €1000 with btw. Keep it for the trainer or a spare.

no, you can't mention that here

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

lochdara wrote: »
    Listen to ED E. ED is a clever man

Tax fraud for a few hundred saved? Very foolish if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I wouldn't keep it as spare because I have no intention of doing indoor training and don't ride in bad weather either. It'd be just sitting and rotting away together with my hybrid and mountain bikes (BTW scheme forces people to buy bikes they don't need!!). I'm just guessing the sell price, I haven't even looked at the second hand bike market yet. And no, I didn't have an intention this thread to be an advertisement of any sort.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    <...>
    Also, while a new bike is always nice, right now is a particularly bad time to buy a new bike. <...>

Yeah, I was thinking that too but the problem is that work is running BTW scheme for limited amount of time and I think it only comes up once a year, so it'd a years wait for another opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ah grand, happy shopping so. The benefit of the shortage will at least mean that you should sell your own bike handy enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

j@utis wrote: »
    I wouldn't keep it as spare because I have no intention of doing indoor training and don't ride in bad weather either. It'd be just sitting and rotting away together with my hybrid and mountain bikes (BTW scheme forces people to buy bikes they don't need!!). I'm just guessing the sell price, I haven't even looked at the second hand bike market yet. And no, I didn't have an intention this thread to be an advertisement of any sort.

Yeah, I was thinking that too but the problem is that work is running BTW scheme for limited amount of time and I think it only comes up once a year, so it'd a years wait for another opportunity.

It may be a bad time to be buying a new bike, but its probably a good time to sell your old bike. Price it right and it'll be snapped up.

Advertisement