Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Helmets for e-scooters

• 25-05-2021 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Some Informational findings on actual accidents involving e-scooters (Small percentage)

If not currently legal to use on a public road, why are they tolerated on the road??
    Saw one this morning in the middle of the lane with a line a traffic being delayed behind it. Should they be confiscated if used publicly until it's legal to use one on the road?

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2021/0524/1223683-escooter-injuries/

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Some factual finding on accidents involving e-scooters

The facts are in the report itself, not RTE's story, who's editorial slant is that it's recommended that people wear helmets, which wasn't actually recommended. The fact that out of the 1 or 2 injuries above the next, none would have been prevented by a helmet. It's also a tiny sample size.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hurrache wrote: »
    The facts are in the report itself, not RTE's story, who's editorial slant is that it's recommended that people wear helmets, which wasn't actually recommended. The fact that out of the 1 or 2 injuries above the next, none would have been prevented by a helmet. It's also a tiny sample size.

Not wearing a helmet on one of these makes you an idiot tbh. They can go anywhere from 26kmph up to 40kmph with tiny wheels and many no suspension. And tiny little steering wheels for control.

Literally an idiot would think no helmet is a sound idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

listermint wrote: »
    Not wearing a helmet on one of these makes you an idiot tbh. They can go anywhere from 26kmph up to 40kmph with tiny wheels and many no suspension. And tiny little steering wheels for control.

the vast majority of them are limited to 25km/h or less as that's the legal limit in most countries and will be the limit here when the legislation goes through

A helmet probably is advisable, as it seems your more likely to "take a header" off one of these than from a bike.

There was no recorded head injuries in the survey.

What do you think the rate of head injuries is in car crashes? With a higher risk, and a more severe head injury where they do occur, you'd be a bigger idiot not to wear one when either a driver or a passenger in a car.

In the states at least, car crashes are the second biggest cause of severe traumatic brain injuries, but the leading cause of death from brain injury.

Why wouldn't you wear one?

There was no recorded head injuries in the survey.

What do you think the rate of head injuries is in car crashes? With a higher risk, and a more severe head injury where they do occur, you'd be a bigger idiot not to wear one when either a driver or a passenger in a car.

In the states at least, car crashes are the second biggest cause of severe traumatic brain injuries, but the leading cause of death from brain injury.

Why wouldn't you wear one?

I drive a car, a motorcycle and i cycle .I wear a helmet on both two wheels transport because in vulnerable.

Your an idiot if you think a scooter with wheels that size speed that much and no suspension is more controllable than a bicycle in a dangerous moment.

Wear a helmet. You aren't cool...

• Advertisement

I drive a car, a motorcycle and i cycle .I wear a helmet on both two wheels transport because in vulnerable.

Why not wear one in your car where the risk of severe head or brain injury is higher?

This is your logic in fairness, you said you'd want to be an idiot not to use one on a scooter, where statistically the risk is not very high, but won't in your car where the risk is exponentially greater?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I was reading that study yesterday, as a previous poster said, it had a sample size of only 22 people. It also said one third of fractures required surgery....of course they do, as do all other fractures. Interesting to see 25% of injuries were from people who were only using scooters for one week. I’d be interested to see how many injuries were sustained in comparison to the total number of scooters....this study was only done on people who ended up in the ED.

FYI, I use a Segway Ninebot G30 Max....a great piece of kit....my commute to work is 3kms in ten minutes. I’m luckier than most.

Why not wear one in your car where the risk of severe head or brain injury is higher?

This is your logic in fairness, you said you'd want to be an idiot not to use one on a scooter, where statistically the risk is not very high, but won't in your car where the risk is exponentially greater?

No. Bollix. My logic is I'm entirely unprotected on a two wheel vehicle and I have an airbag in my car. I think your using stats with f all context to be frank.

Knock yourself out drive around on a tiny wheel scooter with scant controls because of its size. no skin off my nose. Telling people to wear helmets in cars when there's thousand times more of them on the road to play with your silly stats is gas.

I get it youre cool with no helmet on. All the girls love your hair etc etc. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Telling people to wear helmets in cars when there's thousand times more of them on the road to play with your silly stats is gas.

I get it youre cool with no helmet on. All the girls love your hair etc etc. ....
    this is just getting weirder and weirder, YOU are the one seemingly worried about looking "cool" and not wearing one in a car, likely for fear of looking like an oddball.

I remember the first guy in my school who got a helmet was ridiculed, he came off his bike soon after since some scumbag loosened the nuts on his wheel. Presumably a bully who thought he would be OK as he had a helmet. Like those scumbags who pushed a guy off his bike in Ireland, I reckon he would have been untouched if he had no helmet on.

The seatbelts & airbags is the usual utterly pathetic attempt people use to weasel out and explain their hypocrisy. As though seatbelts & airbags are some perfect solution, there are still plenty of deaths in cars where a helmet could have prevented it. Ask any doctor in A&E or coroner, they might find it a refreshing change instead of being asked about helmets usefulness for bikes.

http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/developments/headband/
    CASR Headband
    The Centre has been evaluating the concept of a protective headband for car occupants. In about 44 percent of cases of occupant head injury, a protective headband, such as the one illustrated, would have provided some benefit. One estimate has put the potential benefit of such a device (in terms of reduced societal Harm) as high as $380 million, compared with $123 million for padding the upper interior of the car. This benefit derives from the fact that in a crash, the head strikes objects other than those that could be padded inside the car.

For more information, visit: http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/2000/Protect_Head_3.aspx
    headband1.jpg

Helmets are so common on bikes now that I doubt there is any people worrying about "looking cool" wearing one, or not nearly as much as when I was back in school and only 1 lad had one out of hundreds who cycled. I would definitely think people would get slagged if they wore one in a car. The mayor of NY was considereing mandatory car helmets as a means of protection AND to alleviate traffic, as they would expect there to be a significant drop in numbers in cars just like what happens in countries with manadatory cycle helmets.

Advertisement