Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on secondhand car please - choice of 3

• 24-05-2021 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I’m looking for a car around 2016-2018. I’ve narrowed it down to the following purely because I like the look of them, and they are within my budget, but I don’t know a whole lot else! Your opinions would be appreciated

1. Ford Fiesta - I would probably go for one around the year 2018 as I think they got a new look both internally and externally that year (maybe 2019?). Also their brand-new cars at the moment don’t look drastically different so the car wouldn’t age too much.

2. Hyundai i20 - Nice looking on the outside however the interior seems pretty basic. Also the new models for this year look a bit different so it might age quicker. Seems slighter cheaper than the Fiestas though.

3. Renault Clio - they seem cheaper than any of the other two and I really like the look of them. However my mother had a Renault Megane a few years ago and any problems she had always seems very complicated because of the electronics and I have it in my head now that Renaults are problematic, probably undeservedly! I also read they don’t hold their value as well because of the negative name some give them. I think they might use a key card rather than a normal key and I think that would annoy me. The new were models still look very similar so this car wouldn’t age very much. They look very good for the price and if they’re a good car, there seems to be good deals to be had on them.

To give an idea of my needs, I don’t drive a whole lot - in and out to work, etc. The longest journey I would mainly do would be seeing my parents 80km away every 3/4 weeks. I drive a very old car and only have my full license 2 years now, so anything would be an improvement, drive-wise!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

A3 is Golf size, the others are superminis. My wife has a 1.33 Yaris 6 speed. Very reliable and grand on motorway journeys. They are rarer than the 1.0 but are far better. The luna model has cruise, reverse camera but no a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

A3 is Golf size, the others are superminis. My wife has a 1.33 Yaris 6 speed. Very reliable and grand on motorway journeys. They are rarer than the 1.0 but are far better. The luna model has cruise, reverse camera but no a/c.

I'd look at Yaris hybrid, even if it had to be year or two older...

Hers is non hybrid, dont think the extra price justifies buying hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Oops, major typo - I meant to type Hyundai i20! Big difference, haha! I was looking at an A3 online at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What’s the actual budget?

• Advertisement

Hers is non hybrid, dont think the extra price justifies buying hybrid.

But it gives you smooth automatic plus all the possible benefits of "hybrid-and-electric-only" benefits in future.

grogi wrote: »
    But it gives you smooth automatic plus all the possible benefits of "hybrid-and-electric-only" benefits in future.

Ya I get you, I believe the 1.8 hybrid in the current Corolla is very good.
    Fuel economy not near where claimed in mk3 Yaris hybrid also auto box not great and the extra you'll pay over regular petrol one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Clio..looks good/goes good/very comfortable/5 star cap. 1L is frugal and nippy with the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Depends what year Clio you are looking at but it sounds like the last gen before the new one came out. In that case it should be well made and reliable. Renault upped there game over the last decade after going through a bad patch. They are better built and more reliable than the German cars now.
    The kia Rio is also quite nice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What’s the actual budget?

Up to around €16k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

The Fiesta is objectively the best car there and as you know it’s the new model you really want to go for. Will be the dearest but it also the best to hold value. It is widely regarded as the best supermini. Try get the newer 1.0l engine in Titanium spec.
    The Clio is a very good option too, I personally hate the Hyundai I20 think it’s a hideous looking thing but each to their own.

Up to around €16k

I will be super boring with my never-to-change love for automatics :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-hybrid/28237435

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    The Fiesta is objectively the best car there and as you know it’s the new model you really want to go for. Will be the dearest but it also the best to hold value. It is widely regarded as the best supermini. Try get the newer 1.0l engine in Titanium spec.
    The Clio is a very good option too, I personally hate the Hyundai I20 think it’s a hideous looking thing but each to their own.

Thanks for the info.
    I actually think the i20 looks good in white but no other colour!

Thanks for the info.
    I actually think the i20 looks good in white but no other colour!

Love the look of the new I20, bit over €16k though.

grogi wrote: »
    I will be super boring with my never-to-change love for automatics :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-hybrid/28237435

I’m weird in that I like driving a manual and want to leave it as late as possible to switch to an automatic!

Good looking car though!

Love the look of the new I20, bit over €16k though.

The new one looks good alright, in any colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The new one looks good alright, in any colour!

Agreed. The new i20 is really good looking. There is two red ones around here.

The Peugeot 208 is another car for the OP that they could look at.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Agreed. The new i30 is really good looking. There is teo red ones around here.

The Peugeot 208 is another car for the OP that they could look at.

That’s true my brothers gf got a brand new one for just under the OPs budget with scrappage a few years back. Lovely car, nice spec and finish on them- that was the older model and I'm sure they’ve gone up in price since then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

For 16k you can get 2019 Fiesta with extended 5 years warranty left, not sure how good the warranty is, though.

There are very few 1.0 ecoboost in titanium available unfortunately, most low miles I found were zetec for some reason, and you should avoid zetec. Really it's like different car.

Titanium from 2019 should have heated seats and steering wheel and plenty of other equipment, pretty impressive.
    1.1 is 85hp now which is OK if you only drive around town and even motorway, but not so good if you live around Wicklow or other hilly areas.

• Advertisement

My mother has a 18 Titanium 1.1. Sounds like if the budget can stretch it’s well worth trying to get a 191 for the extra goodies and the 1.0 if possible too. Zetec is miserable alright.

Thanks guys ^^

I actually never really knew what the difference was between the Zetec and the Titanium.

At first I thought it was the difference which model had the chrome trim! I really don’t know anything about engines!

So Titanium good, Zetec not so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

Just curious why you wouldn't get something a bit bigger, especially with a 16K budget. The cars you mentioned won't hold their value.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Since you already have an i20 on the list, how about a Kia Rio? They are sister companies, so models are based on the same class. I'm biased as I've now had three Ceeds in a row, but a 211 plate, great spec and a 7 year warranty for 16k would be a good choice in my view.

https://www.carbuyersguide.net/kia/rio/2021-petrol-silver-hatchback-1.2-dublin-60a4554c4fd8e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Fiesta from the list mentioned for me, and yep titanium trim would be preferred for that little bit extra spec, it is definitely worth it

Good value in Kia’s also

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just curious why you wouldn't get something a bit bigger, especially with a 16K budget. The cars you mentioned won't hold their value.

I'm not sure I understand your logic in saying small cars won't hold their value but slightly bigger ones will.

Yes they will and far better than something bigger. All 3 are always in demand used as they are simply good cars. The Fiesta especially- they always hold their value as they have a vast audience and are part of the vernacular as regards motoring reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

What did you decide debbie?

Im in the same situation as you but slightly smaller budget.

Looking at a 2018 fiesta.

Wesser wrote: »
    What did you decide debbie?

Im in the same situation as you but slightly smaller budget.

Looking at a 2018 fiesta.

Not really sure yet! I prefer the Fiesta, but I want the newer model and that might stretch me a bit. A lot of the Fiestas are UK imports, which doesn’t really bother me - only thing is that the speedometer has MPH as the main display, and KPH as the smaller one.

I’m thinking maybe the Renault Clio as even the slighter ones have a better spec and they still look like the more recent ones and it won’t cost me as much.

I’ll probably still keep an eye out, but start searching properly in July as more trade-ins will have come on the market after people getting the new 212 regs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Your budget is OK op to get 2019.

I only got one last week from main dealer at 16.4k, original Irish car with just under 17k km on the clock. 5 years extended warranty left and in titanium spec.

Unfortunately it is 1.1 85bhp, but tbh for my type of driving now it is just fine. If you mostly drive around town with some random trips here and there it is all right.

But sure ecoboost engine would be better ;)

Did Kildare to Donegal and back this weekend, Kildare to Cork the weekend before and while I wish I had a little more power at times, especially around Donegal, it did just fine.

Comfy enough for a super mini and happy with it.

Advertisement