Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Earth bank against house

• 24-05-2021 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all!
    I've attached a photo of my garden. You can see behind the house is a 1 meter gap (where all the wood is piled) and there is a retaining wall holding back about 5 feet of earth. This earth continues back to the main part of the garden / lawn.
    The retaining wall is in a terrible state and could collapse any time...

Up until recently, my plan was to dig out behind the wall remove the wall and put in solid foundations and build a block on flat wall to replace the old retaining wall.

The question I have is could I fill that 1 meter gap and bring the earth forward to the level of the window in the photo? My gut tells me this is a bad idea... firstly the house may not hold up against all the extra weight against it. Also, the damp earth against the house may cause problems. However, I wanted to explore this option and perhaps there is a way to do it safely by reinforcing the wall of the house. The only services on that wall is a drain from the sink out, you can see the white pipe. This could easily be diverted to wall facing the camera.

I hope you can help, thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: bad idea: you need to protect the dpc
    2: the tree in the corner of the shed needs to go
    3: is that a live power cable in white?

You should move the wall back almost to the shed and let some air in around the bottom of the walls, already water lodging on the path

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Definitely don't fill it in for all the reasons you know and mentioned yourself.

While the wall looks to be in poor shape it's not a job you have to do right now while renovating the house and money may be tight. It's something you can tackle next summer if needed. Rather than having it as a meter high retaining wall you could look at having it stepped.

see sample from google:
    32f0e64c71f7b02f414c1d845ef70fc0.jpg

e6b0b66f8b36204aca6dc0a8f16e9b94.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

Thanks for the replies.yes there is some water sitting there, it usually drains pretty quickly. I've moved a lot of junk from there and I need to clear mud so it drains again properly.
    My main motivation for doing the job soon is having 2 young kids, the youngest has just started walking so this part of our (small) garden will be of limits.

Advertisement