Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner score expectations

• 24-05-2021 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all
    Im new to golf. Last Summer our local club ran a get into golf course for 6 weeks. So 4 group lessons (20ish women) focused on swing and putting and two evenings on course with a member doing about 4 holes.
    I played 8 holes one other evening then winter lockdown etc meant i didnt swing a club for about 6/7 months.
    Back at it now and have been out twice for nine holes with a volunteer lady from the club to mark card for handicap.
    So now to my point. I am REALLY bad. I never thought Id be great but am shocked myself at the rubbish shots and mi****s etc etc.
    Im embarrassed to type my scores here but it can take me 8,9,10 even more shots to do a hole. So can be over double par. The lady says Im doing fine and she has seen worse but I think she might be too polite to say otherwise.
    So for what I would consider a complete beginner what kind of score would you be expecting or did you have?

I know i need to work on getting under ball more as i miss hit a lot that way. Others just career off in the wrong direction. I usuall hit a great one just near the green where it rises up and sails off over the green! (So not so great really)

Is this normal or should I bow out? I want to be able to play and have already spent a fortune between membership, clubs trolley, shoes etc All basic entry level equipment but adds up.
    Am I a lost cause?
    Thanks in advance for any experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

You're doing fine.

I did a GIG two years ago and I was really awful for a year. Last year I got a few lessons and started competitions. Handicap is coming down and I was competing well in comps last year.

I believe the key is getting a lesson every two weeks and practice what your pro is telling you between the lessons. It takes time, but lessons are the best money you can spend on your golf for improvement.

Some of the more experienced players here might well give other advice, but I would surprised if most don't say "lessons".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

lessons is the #1 thing

but also just forgetting about the score, also forget about most of the clubs in the bag. Find one you are most consistent with and just keep working on getting the ball airborne. as you get more confident you can move onto the other clubs. Most important is to enjoy it, its a great sport to clear the head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

If you enjoyed it, just forget about your score completely

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

To be honest 8/9/10's on holes is normal as a complete novice. I started playing about a year and a half ago with 3 other newbies and this was what we were doing. We were happy if we had a couple of good shots each round. Then happy to have good holes and now only scratching the odd hole a round.

We started improving very very slowly, went from going around in 110 - 115 shots a round last May to low 90's by the end of the year. Went backwards a bit since lockdown I'd be hoping to break 90 regularly this year.

It can be very frustrating when it's not going well but stick at it, you will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 elgstring

Try not overthink it, you have to start somewhere and scoring shouldnt be the priority now, you can always pick the ball up and reset for the next hole if you feel really uncomfortable. The fact you want to play is all you need to keep going, theres so much room for you to improve which should be a very exciting prospect, enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Thanks for your encouragement. I do enjoy it and its great when you get a nice shot or putt even if at this stsge its more luck than anything.

Its a little disheartening when it looks so clear in my mind but then the actual shot is awful.
    I will definitely look into a few lessons and try get more practice in now the evenings are bright.

Good advice on favourite club too. I keep trying to use a hybrid and its a disaster, much prefer the 7 so might use that s bit more for now. At this stage a good strike on a shorter club is better than a bad little roll off a long one.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

henrietta wrote: »
    Hi all
    Im new to golf. Last Summer our local club ran a get into golf course for 6 weeks. So 4 group lessons (20ish women) focused on swing and putting and two evenings on course with a member doing about 4 holes.
    I played 8 holes one other evening then winter lockdown etc meant i didnt swing a club for about 6/7 months.
    Back at it now and have been out twice for nine holes with a volunteer lady from the club to mark card for handicap.
    So now to my point. I am REALLY bad. I never thought Id be great but am shocked myself at the rubbish shots and mi****s etc etc.
    Im embarrassed to type my scores here but it can take me 8,9,10 even more shots to do a hole. So can be over double par. The lady says Im doing fine and she has seen worse but I think she might be too polite to say otherwise.
    So for what I would consider a complete beginner what kind of score would you be expecting or did you have?

I know i need to work on getting under ball more as i miss hit a lot that way. Others just career off in the wrong direction. I usuall hit a great one just near the green where it rises up and sails off over the green! (So not so great really)

Is this normal or should I bow out? I want to be able to play and have already spent a fortune between membership, clubs trolley, shoes etc All basic entry level equipment but adds up.
    Am I a lost cause?

you are describing my game perfectly well - and Im about 3 years in. Ive parred par 5s and the next hole I could be 2 or 3 over.....so I can hit well, its just consistency and relaxing

It takes a long time, so if you enjoy it, it will be no bother. The most important lesson I learned is that no-one cares about your game, no matter how bad you play, once youre not getting upset at yourself. Just try and keep pace and if you are double bogying, consider picking up the ball to save time rather than insisting on holing each time (if course is busy)

Also depends on where you play - I started on a champion course and was disheartened by the course (water or sand everywhere). Have joined a more standard club course now and am enjoying the game even more.

Lastly, agree with lessons, but at some point when you have the basics just play for a few months and develop your own comfort with your swing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

if you are a member on a big difficult course with high rough, deep bunkers and fast greens. As long as you are in a casual round don't be afraid to pick ball up and give yourself a nice lie. I find what demoralises beginners is when they knock the ball into a difficult situation and it requires a skill they don't have to get themselves out of it.

Just tell your playing partners you are picking up but still want to play it out. If you keep the pace of play up I can't see anyone being annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Good advice on favourite club too. I keep trying to use a hybrid and its a disaster, much prefer the 7 so might use that s bit more for now. At this stage a good strike on a shorter club is better than a bad little roll off a long one.

This 100%. There's no need to use hybrid when you're just starting out. If you can hit a 7 in any way decently then the 8, 9 & PW will be no bother to you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgy0_tM7so

This is video is designed for absolute beginners and might help you. I've been playing for a couple of years and have only just found out about some really basic elements of the swing.

If you're conscious of others and having fun yourself then you're doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Well consensus seems to be to just enjoy it for now and things will improve with patience and practice.
    I will keep getting the scores marked to get the handicap out of the way and then relax some of the stress of ball drops and penalties etc and focus on getting more consistent shots in and building confidence.

I will check out that video link also.
    Thanks so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

Hi all

Am I a lost cause?

Stick with it and you’ll have a pass time for life. Everybody struggles at the start but you have been given some great advice above.

Stick with it, enjoy it & don’t worry about scores for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Hi all

Am I a lost cause?

Hey Henrietta, Great to hear you took up the game last year. You should 100% stick at it. Very common for both male and female beginners to be shooting double the par of holes when they take it up. Takes a good while to get to know your game and get a feel for it.

One of the earlier posters made a great point. You should try and get comfortable with one club for a start off the tee, then have a favoured club for next shots such as a 7 iron to get you to the green. Then try and get down in 2 to 3 shots when in ot around the green.

Most holes off the ladies tees should be in range for most in 3 to 4 shots. Plus another 2 or 3 shots around the green you will then have it sussed

Just don't let it get to you. I play off 5 and I have plenty of disasters on a regular basis still. That's why we love the game.

Get comfortable with a few clubs at the start and then work your way into the rest. You'll be flying in no time. The handicap system is there to help you out. Looking forward to hearing about your progress sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Well consensus seems to be to just enjoy it for now and things will improve with patience and practice.
    I will keep getting the scores marked to get the handicap out of the way and then relax some of the stress of ball drops and penalties etc and focus on getting more consistent shots in and building confidence.

I will check out that video link also.
    Thanks so much

Personally speaking i would avoid online videos/tutorials.

Focus on whatever a pro tells you to do in one to one lessons.

Advertisement