Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car with cash

• 23-05-2021 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering when buying a brand new car with cash can you get money off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Jayisplay wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering when buying a brand new car with cash can you get money off

Do you mean lots of pound notes or do you mean straight sale no trade in no finance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Do you mean lots of pound notes or do you mean straight sale no trade in no finance?

Better to buy a one month old ‘used’ car and put the cash balance saved on your next luxury 2 week holiday to Barbados.

Then negotiate a cash discount too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In my experience, without trade in, you should expect a nice discount off retail.
    Re buying with own funds versus finance, dealers will prefer finsnce as they make money off that so i wouldnt be going in shouting that you dont want finance.
    As for buying with cash in notes, thats not really happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Jayisplay

I have the cash in the bank for a brand new car as I was left some money in a will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I would never advise anyone to buy a new car with cash as an investment

It’s a depreciating asset

An ex demo is a better purchase

None of my business of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I have the cash in the bank for a brand new car as I was left some money in a will.

Just phone around a few dealers for quotes.

Make sure you are pricing the same trim level and spec in each case.

Good position to be in, all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

PCP be a better way of buying
    Say you get 0% finance on a VW.

Use the money to buy the car but over 3 years.

If anything goes wrong in life you have the money sitting there and not tied into a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

If anything goes wrong in life you have the money sitting there and not tied into a car.

Are you entitled to pull out of a PCP deal at any time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

A friend of mine buys his outright for cash but usually keeps them for up to 8 years. But as other have mentioned he focuses on demo models or those 1 to 2 years old, not a zero miler/brand new car. The most he gets is usually 5 to 10% off the price.

PCP deals usually have a minimum term (like 12 months) where you cannot withdraw from the deal but after that mine let me withdraw and simply hand back the keys and forfeit any equity in the deal (I didn't actually do this though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

PCP will not get you as good a deal as a straight deal discount.

OP - I'd say to dealers that you are looking for a "straight deal" price rather than "cash price" - they may think you are coming in with a wad of cash and that causes other issues :)

As for discount - it really depends on the car. If it's an in-demand car, expect a few hundred. If its a run of the mill car, such as Octavia, expect a couple of thousand.

I'd also wait until the 212 registrations. You will find that certain marques will have offers if you pre-book a 212 registration.

Yep, nearly new might be better value, but if you have the money, sometimes its nice to treat yourself and get something brand new and in a way a good way to don your cap to the person that left the money for you.

• Advertisement

Notch000 wrote: »
    Are you entitled to pull out of a PCP deal at any time ?

If you've paid 50% of the value yes.
    "The 50% rule"

If you haven't you take the hit on your credit rating.
    Far from ideal

silver2020 wrote: »

Don't think that is true any more.
    In fact some manufacturers happier to see their finance being used

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Not true. How you finance the car, whether pcp or magic beans, has no bearing on discounts offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,911 ✭✭✭tom1ie

But you have the debt of the finance you used to buy the car?

tom1ie wrote: »
    But you have the debt of the finance you used to buy the car?

Yes.
    The car isn't free.
    The op wants a car.

Now that I have a fair idea what you are doing and asking, my take is this

Yes, you will ultimately fare better as a straight buyer than one with a trade in, so you are in a good position. Don't show your hand to the dealer too soon, tell him you haven't thought about payment methods yet, you want to find right car first. You'll see, they will try to suss out how you might like to pay early on.

Don't come across as flush with cash whatever you do. And dont fall in love with the first car you see.

As for discounts, this will vary from car to car depending on how easy the dealer can shift them for certain amounts. The latest in demand, electric Audi Q4 ETron, wouldnt expect any discounts. The now 3 year old A6 Saloon that isnt new and exciting anymore, I see them offering them for low 50s now whereas they used to be touching into the 60s. They cant sell them any more and need to discount heavily.

Now that I have a fair idea what you are doing and asking, my take is this

Yes, you will ultimately fare better as a straight buyer than one with a trade in, so you are in a good position. Don't show your hand to the dealer too soon, tell him you haven't thought about payment methods yet, you want to find right car first. You'll see, they will try to suss out how you might like to pay early on.

Don't come across as flush with cash whatever you do. And dont fall in love with the first car you see.

As for discounts, this will vary from car to car depending on how easy the dealer can shift them for certain amounts. The latest in demand, electric Audi Q4 ETron, wouldnt expect any discounts. The now 3 year old A6 Saloon that isnt new and exciting anymore, I see them offering them for low 50s now whereas they used to be touching into the 60s. They cant sell them any more and need to discount heavily.

They cant sell the current A6 thats only 3 years into its life cycle - its news to me. Sure they will be moving to better finance rates but Id say they are still flying out as they are quite a sought after car.

mickdw wrote: »
    They cant sell the current A6 thats only 3 years into its life cycle - its news to me. Sure they will be moving to better finance rates but Id say they are still flying out as they are quite a sought after car.

It was an example, I don't know if OP is looking for an Audi or an Aston Martin. Generally a car well into its life cycle and hasnt been updated yet will need better offers than when it was the newest kid on the block. For this particular one, the A6, they have upgraded equipment now and all dealers seem to have garage loads of demos to get rid of at a big discount from list. But may be irrelevant if OP has no interest in it, just an illustration how some cars will be very rigid on pricing, others not.

OP - I'd say to dealers that you are looking for a "straight deal" price rather than "cash price" - they may think you are coming in with a wad of cash and that causes other issues :)

As for discount - it really depends on the car. If it's an in-demand car, expect a few hundred. If its a run of the mill car, such as Octavia, expect a couple of thousand.

I'd also wait until the 212 registrations. You will find that certain marques will have offers if you pre-book a 212 registration.

Yep, nearly new might be better value, but if you have the money, sometimes its nice to treat yourself and get something brand new and in a way a good way to don your cap to the person that left the money for you.
    Yes my plan was to buy a brand new car and then every 2 years trade it in for another brand new car, so I would never have an nct or tax as it’s 2 years free tax and 2 years free servicing . My mother and father both passed away in the last 3 years and the family house was sold and divided between me and my 4 sisters, I’ve never had a new car and always wanted 1.

Yes my plan was to buy a brand new car and then every 2 years trade it in for another brand new car, so I would never have an nct or tax as it’s 2 years free tax and 2 years free servicing . My mother and father both passed away in the last 3 years and the family house was sold and divided between me and my 4 sisters, I’ve never had a new car and always wanted 1.

Sorry for your loss, go spoil yourself if you have other things taken care of. What cars are you looking at?

• Advertisement

Sorry for your loss, go spoil yourself if you have other things taken care of. What cars are you looking at?

Thank you it was actually a very sad day last week standing in the family home for the last time. I want an suv and I’m really interested in a ssyanyong korando, I want to keep it between 24k to 28 just to have a little bit of cash left

Thank you it was actually a very sad day last week standing in the family home for the last time. I want an suv and I’m really interested in a ssyanyong korando, I want to keep it between 24k to 28 just to have a little bit of cash left

Jesus - dont do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, sorry for your loss.

Regarding what you want to do. With you wanting to buy a brand new car and then change it every two years I think one option you should look at is PCP which might work out better for you in that situation rather than going in and paying a bit lump sum of cash. For example the likes of VW are offering 0% PCP finance on alot of their models now. A medium sized deposit up front and monthly payments for 3 years. You will have 3 options at the end of year 3, pay the agreed remaining lump sum to make the car yours, trade it in for a new one (you should have some equity to use as a deposit again) or hand it back. Even at year 2 you can go another new car on PCP again. Keep a chunk of your money aside for a rainy day or for when you no longer want to go PCP again/keep the car long term.

I'd be very against buying a SsangYong especially a brand new one, they don't sell in any sort of significant numbers here due to lack of desirability and limited dealer network so you will lose a good bit of money on them when you go to sell it on It will also cost you a substantial amount to trade one in against a different branded car next time.

Jesus - dont do it.

I second this. Strongly.

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, sorry for your loss.

Regarding what you want to do. With you wanting to buy a brand new car and then change it every two years I think one option you should look at is PCP which might work out better for you in that situation rather than going in and paying a bit lump sum of cash. For example the likes of VW are offering 0% PCP finance on alot of their models now. A medium sized deposit up front and monthly payments for 3 years. You will have 3 options at the end of year 3, pay the agreed remaining lump sum to make the car yours, trade it in for a new one (you should have some equity to use as a deposit again) or hand it back. Even at year 2 you can go another new car on PCP again. Keep a chunk of your money aside for a rainy day or for when you no longer want to go PCP again/keep the car long term.
    What if I was to trade it in for the same brand

I'd be very against buying a SsangYong especially a brand new one, they don't sell in any sort of significant numbers here due to lack of desirability and limited dealer network so you will lose a good bit of money on them when you go to sell it on It will also cost you a substantial amount to trade one in against a different branded car next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will probably do a bit better but you will be married to that brand then and it will cost you dearly to trade it for something from a different brand.

Ya you may do ok but you are basically married to them at that stage.
    Generally suv do ok on resale so anything bar the one you are looking at.
    Surely the likes of a 2020 plate sportage would be a better buy even if its due a model change shortly.

Ya you may do ok but you are basically married to them at that stage.
    Generally suv do ok on resale so anything bar the one you are looking at.
    Surely the likes of a 2020 plate sportage would be a better buy even if its due a model change shortly.

To be honest I really want a brand new one, I always have and this is my only chance . I was looking at new sportage but that would be all my money gone, what about Suzuki s-cross or Suzuki vitara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

To be honest I really want a brand new one, I always have and this is my only chance . I was looking at new sportage but that would be all my money gone, what about Suzuki s-cross or Suzuki vitara

Do you need a bigger car? Would you consider something smaller like a Yaris?

If you're changing every couple of years you'll want to purchase something with strong residuals

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Do you need a bigger car? Would you consider something smaller like a Yaris?

If you're changing every couple of years you'll want to purchase something with strong residuals

No unfortunately I don’t want a really small car, as I have 2 kids

Advertisement