Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GIRO D'ITALIA - STAGE 16 SACILE-CORTINA D’AMPEZZO

• 23-05-2021 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

This is the big one, 5700m of climbing with three climbs going above 2000m and the weather is not going to be good - so much so that there must be a chance that the alternatives routes (there are apparently 2) might be invoked to keep the riders safe. This is especially the case as above 1800m rain falls as snow and there are strong winds forecast. Blizzards, anyone? This is going to really tough on some of the guys who are already well fatigued, but that is GT racing. I'd be surprised if there are not a good number of DNS/DNFs.

48d51b9a-c9cd-438d-a435-2797ca80a77d?w=580

https://twitter.com/igortavella/status/1396555465635635201?s=20

https://twitter.com/igortavella/status/1396555465635635201?s=20

It is a stage that might favour Dan Martin, but he is clearly still expected to ride for a top 10 in GC - rather than go for stages - so I don't think we'll see him up the road in a breakaway and the finale comes after a descent of the Giau, so I don't see him taking chances? He is now in 12th after Buchmann's retirement today, and only 1 second off Valter in 11th, but 2:20 from Foss on 10th..........so I think it will take more retirements for him to move into 10th.?

7e77166f-17c4-4dbe-967e-389ccb35fb89?w=580

Of added interest is that Sean Kelly turns 65 tomorrow, so perhaps the ES/GCN have something planned to celebrate this - though they might also want to be cautious about mentioning that he qualifies for the pension!!!

Comments

I've heard Kelly mention before that his birthday is wrong on some of the sites? Have it in mind that it's the 26th not the 24th or I might be misremembering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I seem to remember qualifying for the O.A.P. at age 66, however it's so long ago, I could easily be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Would love to see attacks and isolated leaders, but fear it may be an Ineos procession. Everyone dropping like flies...maybe Yates and BikeEcxhange can do something. Dont think Astana will pull much for Vlasov after the last day...

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

It's Bernal's to lose - definitely the strongest rider out there. If the back holds up then this Giro is a foregone conclusion. Yates and Hugh Carthy for podiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Talking about it now on ES/GCN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Pity it’s shortened. The cold and the climbing would have been a real test for Bernal’s back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Bernal may win second cropped tour

Lightweights, get up them mountains!

• Advertisement

New stage profile -

cmgpyxD8fMtwTatR5LXCDM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It seems these days a lot of bike riders have gone soft. Bettiol saying a lot of them want to race the full thing. A joke really, same last year when they got into buses for two hours because it was raining and they were cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

There is plenty of fresh snow looking at Passo Giau webcams. It's going to be interesting stage.

I feel sorry for any fans who are already on the Passo Fedaia and the Passo Pordoi :o

Kelly must be mortified! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

What would Charly Gaul say? Must be turning in his grave (which is up around the corner from where I live, about 250 metres from where I sit typing.) I think Charly put 15 minutes or so into his rivals in one Giro stage that had particularly nasty weather.

Charly_Gaul_1959.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wonder what Mercxx thinks

Thomas De Gendt is a non-starter today due to consistent knee pain for the last two weeks. It's very rare from De Gendt to be a DNF in a GT so he must be in a bad condition.

Lotto-Soudal now only have two riders left! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

New stage profile -

cmgpyxD8fMtwTatR5LXCDM.png

Balls. I’d set aside all plans for today.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Almeida and Formolo in a group of 25 off the front

EDIT: Dan Martin in there too! And Nico!

• Advertisement

Might not matter about the route if we can't see pictures.

Roche and Martin in that group out front.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

I know its hard for the commentators to waffle on during the long stages when we have pics and nothing happen but trying to spout crap when they havent got a clue whats going on and constantly apologizing must be hard

Glad I didn't take annual leave today :o

neris wrote: »
    I know its hard for the commentators to waffle on during the long stages when we have pics and nothing happen but trying to spout crap when they havent got a clue whats going on and constantly apologizing must be hard

Especially when there are no ad breaks either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Wonder what Mercxx thinks

He's probably having a lie-down after giving out about Caleb Ewen's departure. (Funnily enough, not a peep from Big Ted about Nizzolo buggering off "to recover for future goals")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Could be worse,.... Could be Carlton.

In case anyone is getting their info from the cyclingnews live feed, CN have made a bit of a balls of their list of riders in the break. They've omitted Dan Martin and have Dina listed instead of Fortunato.

(Fortunato should win todays stage so that Contador has to ride back from Milan too - saves the train fare)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Give the lens a wipe lads.

• Advertisement

There's a small group of 6 off the front of the break on the descent but no-one is reporting it.

Advertisement