Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

killing chickens - help

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Markcheese wrote: »
    Yup .. stops the birds getting bruised as they can't flap around , and allies you to control the where the blood goes , then straight into near boiling water for a minute or so to loosen the fearhers ,then cold water and pluck ...

The flapping takes all the blood from the breast meat should be no bruising or blood going all over the place if neck broken and bird suspended to flap out

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I saw a neighbour of mine used an upside down traffic cone with the top cut off it, he had it rigged up in such a way that he'd put the chicken into it head first and all that would stick out at the end was about 4 inches of the chickens head and neck, a good sharp knife and off with he head, all done in less than 10 seconds

Councils all over the country now puzzled by disappearance of traffic cones ......

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

I used to see old timers just grab a bird over their knee and pull and twist the neck. It seemed to be a fairly instantaneous way to do things although I imagine that the technique needed some initial practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 little bit of help

Dobloman wrote: »
    Hi All.
    I have a problem that I need help with.One of my Silke roosters has lost his balance and dosnt look well.Any ideas whats wrong with him and what can I give him.

Hi is your roo still sick? It could be a number of things it's very hard to get a proper diagnosis for chickens. Has he been wormed recently? Did it come on gradually or was it an injury? Are his eyes/nose gunky? A respiratory virus/ infection doing the rounds in my flock and I lost a couple of chickens to it, got synolux antibiotic off the vet one came round and is doing fine lost the other died (was never as bad as the first but just couldn't shake it)

then one of my silkie cross hens fell off the coop and dislocated her neck. Had to get a friend to put her out of her misery. Chickens can be delicate!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

Being a Silkie, I'd instantly think Mareks Disease. If its a younger bird 4-12 months old it would be prone to Mareks. Silkies, Seabrights and Sablepoots are particulary prone to this virus.
    Hi All.
    I have a problem that I need help with.One of my Silke roosters has lost his balance and dosnt look well.Any ideas whats wrong with him and what can I give him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Dobloman

He has it 3 days now but not getting a worse.Still the same.He is sleeping at night with his head under the wing and during the day just sits there not moving.It looks like his sight is poor aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

He has it 3 days now but not getting a worse.Still the same.He is sleeping at night with his head under the wing and during the day just sits there not moving.It looks like his sight is poor aswell.

Put the animal out of its misery.

Havn't seen too many animals with feathers and wings but I get your idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Hi All.

Silkies are very prone to Mareks Disease, causes paralysis of the legs and affects the muscles of the neck. The eyes also turn a grey colour. There's no cure so if any of those symptoms are recognisable I'd kill him off and burn the carcase.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marek%27s_disease

I removed him from a pen with 4 other hens.What should I do with them.Will they carry it.

• Advertisement

I removed him from a pen with 4 other hens.What should I do with them.Will they carry it.

Have you killed this bird yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If it’s maeraks disease he has he will eat normally if he gets food but the leg paralysis will not improve and will stay the same.they stumble around and end up dirty from falling.had it here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I saw a neighbour of mine used an upside down traffic cone with the top cut off it, he had it rigged up in such a way that he'd put the chicken into it head first and all that would stick out at the end was about 4 inches of the chickens head and neck, a good sharp knife and off with he head, all done in less than 10 seconds

Seen some fellas electrocute them before cutting the head off

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

I use my gun it's painless for chicken
    You need a machine to pluck the chicken or it's a lot of work to pluck

Dunfyy wrote: »
    I use my gun it's painless for chicken
    You need a machine to pluck the chicken or it's a lot of work to pluck

Pot of hot water and a bit of elbow greese

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Killed a few broilers last week and have more to do this weekend. Used the hot water (140 degrees) and it made the plucking very easy.

Killed a few broilers last week and have more to do this weekend. Used the hot water (140 degrees) and it made the plucking very easy.

Was that 140C?

Way too hot. Burns the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was that 140C?

I presume Fahrenheight 140 degrees is 60C would that be too hot

Slava Ukrainii

It worked perfect. The way I was shown was have it at 140C then dip the bird in twice for 3 seconds at a time and pluck like mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Fahrenheit, water at 140 Celsius would be pretty difficult to dip a chicken into!

I’ve found that 64c for 10 seconds worked best for mine although the birds were pretty big and the feathers were tough. Smaller birds may need lesss time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What was your process for slaughtering?

Gael23 wrote: »

I have one of these.
    Breaks the neck.

https://www.maceoinltd.com/poultry-equipment/poultry-processing-equipment/wall-mounted-poultry-dispatcher/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

Was that 140C?

Unless pressure was increased as in a closed system, it is not possible to get water to 140c.

Water evaporates at 100c

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

servant wrote: »
    Hello
    I wonder if there is anyone in my area (Co. Leitrim) who can help me (show me) how to kill chickens.
    Even though I keep chickens for eggs I have no idea how to keep them for meat. I really would like to breed them for meat but I think I need someone to show me how to do it, hands on...
    Anyone know where I could get help? How did you guys learn? What was your experience?

Thanks
    Mia
    Did you try talking it out with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    My reading of it would say, given the 'or' at the end of 3i, that if you're keeping it on a farm and slaughtering it there, in a place used for slaughter (i.e. some kind of mini-abattoir), you can eat as much as you like for your own consumption.

i.e. due to the 'or', ignore the part ii

Maybe there are other regulations that apply though.

There is always this kind of legal fear mongering on Boards

Gael23 wrote: »

I never even thought about whether it was F or C but it must be F alright! Anyway, we take the birds out just over 24 hors before killing. I have a table with a hole in the middle of it that a cut up traffic cone fits onto and we hold the bird head down in that so just the neck fits out the bottom and then we cut the throat. A bucket underneath is obviously needed. We dipped the bird for longer in the water this time (this is only our second time killing) - about 20 seconds I'd say and the feathers came off very easy. Cut and cleaned our birds and then rest in the fridge for 24 hours or so until putting what we want in the freezer.

We vacuum bag them before putting in the fridge for 24 hours. Then freeze.

Advertisement