Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How are you able to work full time ?

• 23-05-2021 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

In general how the heck people manage to work 5 days a week or more ? Even if you don’t have too much of a commute, work still takes over the majority of your life. If there is one thing that this pandemic has thought me is that I never ever want to work 40 hours a week.

I am currently on 24 hours and my work life balance is unbelievably better. I remember getting out of work Friday eve and thinking to myself whooo I have two days off what can I do with me time ? Do I fancy a drink or maybe I shouldn’t because the house could do with a good clean, I need to buy some food, oh I would really like to watch some movies, I want to go and exercise or go for some sort of a trip. You get what I am saying. Before I get a chance to do half of these things it’s already Sunday eve and the whole cycle starts again.

Is it not a bit much to work 40 hours a week ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭shane b

Great first post. Just joined too. Amazing 😜

I agree but we are conditioned to believe that’s the norm. We give the bulk of our day 5 days a week then have a couple of days off at weekend. What’s it all about. Just to afford to live and buy some nice things.

I think 4 days or a 30 hour week would be plenty. I’m sick of working full time and nearly feeling grateful to be allowed take my annual leave when I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

More of an AF thread.

I think it's an odd question, to be honest, the same way as someone looking for a handy number, life experience has shown me that looking for a handy number usually equals laziness or they have issues that make working with them very difficult.

We may end up with a 4 day week who knows.

If you can live on the income from a job working 24 hours a week and are not being subsidised by a partner or parents go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

The issue is needing to fund a 7 day a week, 365 day a year costs. Can be quite difficult on a 24 hr a week budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

A lot of people don’t have a choice - rent/mortgage to pay, mouths to feed, bills to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Howcanyou wrote:
    Is it not a bit much to work 40 hours a week ?

You ll find many actually work in excess of 50 a week, we should also be including other work related activities such as commuting, in such stats, in order to see the bigger picture. You ll find this is having a detrimental effect on our well being, both physically and mentally, particularly mentally. We re slowly killing ourselves by doing this, this is leading to all sorts of complex health problems, in particular psychological issues such as complex addiction problems including obesity etc, and to add insult to injury, wealth is becoming extremely unequal, so we re working harder for longer for less.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Tails142

I hate my job but like the cash, tried discussing part time working even using parental leave but it wasn't a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Civil service. Doing 50+ hours per week currently to get all tasks completed.

Our region has 6 people doing the work of around 12. Oh and most days covering colleagues who are off sick or on leave.

Don't know these levels of output are sustainable without people literally breaking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I like my job and money and wouldn’t change a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭starringme

It's raining constantly when I'm off, including lunchbreaks so I hardly even get a walk or if I do it's miserable. Sun splits the stones whenever I'm stuck at the computer.

I'm clinically depressed I think, don't have time to get it checked out.

I think you've joined the dots yourself there. In my own experience when it seems the weather is against you personally i.e. only raining on your time off, the issue is your mental health.
    I'm not sure why it has to be this way, why 9-5, why so many demands that need to be met yesterday. Why not 4 days and 10-4. Id probably be more productive knowing the work needed doing in shorter space of time.

Speaking as a CS, having worked in awful private sector jobs, short of teaching (mum having been one, so that's all I knew growing up), you can't get better from a work/life balance POV. (I assume you're not top brass or you wouldn't be complaining about 40 hour weeks on boards.)
    If you want to work 10-4, 4 days a week, why don't you change your work pattern? Investigate shorter working year as an alternative? Contact Employee Assistance Service? Put in an EOI if you hate your unit?

The mechanisms in place for staff welfare, codified into the CS Action Plan etc., are vast. I really suggest you look into alternatives, you're definitely in the right place to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I can barely get by working full-time; there is no chance of me working 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I love my job and although I could afford to work less it wouldn't be worth the drop in income for me. I work fulltime hours, 13 hour shifts x 3 days a week so still have 4 days to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I've been trying to reduce my hours for ages now but I find it impossible because there's shortage of employees. I constantly do 30hrs+ on 15hrs contact.

When it comes to money - I rather be poor than sacrifice my free time which I enjoy so much. And on the other hand you don't need half the stuff you think you need, so you don't need that much money afterall, it comes with age I think. When I was younger it was all more money, more things, more hours, more overtime. Now I'm over 40yo and it's completely opposite - the less the better, our family of 3 could easily live on 1200€ per month, not including motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Some people actually like working.

I'm quite happy to work long hours if it's something I like. But equally I like my free time.

I work 3 days a week and no plans to ever return full-time if I can avoid it as I'm senior enough in my field now that in salary terms I don't need to work full-time. I don't do anything particularly exciting on my days off but knowing that I have more than just the weekend to do whatever I want (even if that is absolutely nothing) is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Hoboo

shane b wrote: »
    Great first post. Just joined too. Amazing 😜

Very important for boards to ensure fresh engaging content continually appears, sponsors love engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Howcanyou

Bootsy wrote: »
    I work 3 days a week and no plans to ever return full-time if I can avoid it as I'm senior enough in my field now that in salary terms I don't need to work full-time. I don't do anything particularly exciting on my days off but knowing that I have more than just the weekend to do whatever I want (even if that is absolutely nothing) is amazing.

I feel exactly the same. I earn a decent wage so don't really have to work full time. I mean the extra money would be nice but I am more then willing to give up on it if it means I can have extra time for me and my family. I have a few year old and was constantly feeling like I was missing out on so many things while stuck at work 40 hours a week. When he was younger he would literally go to bed half and hour after I came home from work. Everything was such a rush between dinner, getting him to bed it was often 10pm before I had a chance to sit down, completely wrecked just to repeat it all over again the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm lucky enough to like what I do but also realise that it shouldn't consume my life. I'm also lucky enough to work for a company that respects this by paying relatively well, generous benefits like example gives everyone the afternoon off on Fridays during summer.

That being said, not everyone is this lucky I do not take it for granted and if I had to work more to provide for a family you can bet your ass I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kopy

I changed job in 2020 and joined a company on a 3 day week with a view to going 5 days after 6 months.
    Have remained on 3 days due to covid pandemic but was asked to go 5 days in January.
    Like previous Poster I have no intention in going 5 days ever again.......Job would be to stressful ( Direct Sales with unachievable targets )
    The quality of life I have now is far far better than when I worked 5 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

'm a full time worker but I don't work full time, that helps.

• Advertisement

Anyone who is working a five day week but would love a four day week and thinks they can't really afford it, should sit down and do the maths.

I went from a five day full time to a four day week and my take home pay was not reduced by that much - what was reduced significantly was my tax and other deductions. Most of that fifth day's pay went to deductions!

I needed to do it for family needs at the time and have increased hours again since, (thinking of my pension) but it is definitely worth sitting down and working it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

I work Monday to Friday on a 37.5 hour week and I genuinely like my job, so full time doesn't bother me at all. If I had extra time all I would be doing is sitting at home on my arse at home playing games since all my friends work full time. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be sat at home playing games all day, but it's not exactly productive. I was off for seven weeks during the first lockdown last year and honestly having too much free time is not a great thing. I much prefer being out of the house and at work five days a week being productive.

That's just my experience of course. There are a ton of factors that go into it that are different for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Unfortunately I am saving to buy my own house and have a child to support, therefore the luxury of working part time is not afforded to me. But great that your circumstances allow for it.

A bit naive of you to think everybody works full time out of choice - but interesting to see there are some people who could afford to work less but work full time because they love it - and hats off to them that they worked hard and were smart enough to secure jobs they love - thats the dream.

YellowLead wrote: »
    Unfortunately I am saving to buy my own house and have a child to support, therefore the luxury of working part time is not afforded to me. But great that your circumstances allow for it.

A bit naive of you to think everybody works full time out of choice - but interesting to see there are some people who could afford to work less but work full time because they love it - and hats off to them that they worked hard and were smart enough to secure jobs they love - thats the dream.

Of course most people don't work full time by choice but as somebody mentioned above when you do the maths you might actually be surprised that by working less hours your take home pay might not decrease by as much as you thought it would. 

I actually have this one friend and we used to work for the same company. She has two kids, a pretty high mortgage (for our area anyway), two cars and various other bills as we all do. She used to say to me that she doesn't know how I can afford to work part time (we both knew what wages we were on). She has since moved to a different area and had to look for new job. We recently met up for a few drinks and to my surprise she now WFH 3 days a week. 

She pays less for childcare, commute costs went down to 0. She will occasional use her car for school drop offs, food shopping or little trips like that so she spends nowhere near on fuel. Even little things like not getting a takeaway as often because you are too tired to cook or going out for lunch add up. 

When I worked full time and had the extra cash I used to buy a load of crap that I don't actually needed. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Yes I have done the maths, I’m not stupid! I don’t pay for childcare as my son is a teenager. I did the maths when 4 days were offered to us and I’m still down money, money I can’t afford to be down if I want to buy a house next year.
    It’s doable for some depending on situation (particularly when it comes to childcare) - but naive to think it’s workable for everyone.

Now if I already had a house and was paying a mortgage instead of double that in rent - I could go for 4 days then, and use the 5th for something useful outside of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Personally I think the more pertinent question is 'why am I doing this particular job' if the thought of a 40 hour week and the pending doom on a Sunday afternoon are pre occupying your mind then there is a fair chance you simply hate your job and should, where possible, look at other options.

I would estimate that I work roughly 55-60 hours in a typical week but I really like my job so it never feels like 'too much' - I have at different stages of my working life work in set 39 hour week jobs and hated every second of it and an 8 hour shift felt like an eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Loueze wrote: »
    Anyone who is working a five day week but would love a four day week and thinks they can't really afford it, should sit down and do the maths.

I went from a five day full time to a four day week and my take home pay was not reduced by that much - what was reduced significantly was my tax and other deductions. Most of that fifth day's pay went to deductions!

I needed to do it for family needs at the time and have increased hours again since, (thinking of my pension) but it is definitely worth sitting down and working it out.

It’s not just about my week to week pay. It’s about pension contributions and service too. Have to be practical unfortunately.

Addle wrote: »
    It’s not just about my week to week pay. It’s about pension contributions and service too. Have to be practical unfortunately.

One is entitled to the exact same number of PRSI contributions regardless of hours worked unless you earnings are next to nothing or you work on a week on week off basis.

Now as to making additional payments into your pension fund that's a personal choice.

Addle wrote: »

Pension and service is why I increased my working hours again when my family circumstances allowed it.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion, and one seriously worth looking at and weighing up the pros and cons.

You will need different arrangements at different stages of life, and sometimes it works out more practical to work fewer hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

OP I completely agree with you, working 40 hours a week can be torture. Obviously enjoying your job is a plus.

This is actually something I looked at in a lot of detail in recent years. Because my costs of living are relatively low (Low mortgage, no kids, etc) I worked out that I could live comfortably by working 3 to 4 days a week, which is what I plan to do eventually.

It all starts with keeping outgoings/expenses low. Obviously this will all depend on your personal circumstances. But one thing I've learned is that it's not always about earning as much as possible, it's about cutting back on expenses. Live below your means. Unfortunately this day in age a lot of people are trying to keep up with the Joneses which is a never ending cycle.

Personally, I don't see myself doing a 5 day/40 hour week for much longer. I have plans in place to change that all very soon. I think life is just too short to spend decades working full time waiting for "one day" at retirement age. Some of us won't be lucky enough to make it to that age unfortunately.

Advertisement