Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-making Formula

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Measure out boiled water in bottles, then cool and add formula as needed

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

Wesser wrote: »
    Yes i totally agree.

All 3 methods as listed in the op advocate using boiled water...... no?

I feel like you're not even reading what I'm writing. One option suggested using COOLED boiled water. As in COLD water. As I've said unpteen times now, the water must be at, or above 70C when the powder is added. It must be! That is a fact and cannot be argued unless you are in the habit of argueing science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

My understanding from the original post is that the formula is added to boiling water in all 3 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,206 ✭✭✭✭fits

My understanding from the original post is that the formula is added to boiling water in all 3 cases.

Really. That’s your understanding?
    Public health nurse says to put measured out boiled water in bottles in a fridge after it's been cooled under a tap. Add formula powder to bottle just before feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Oh sorry. Just read it again there. Yes make sure that the formula is added to boiling water
    But outside of this i don't think it matters. Different parents use different systems and whatever suits your routine is fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

The caos it all causes ... I think from all just remember use boiling water when adding formula, do whatever you fancy after that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Milly33 wrote: »
    The caos it all causes ... I think from all just remember use boiling water when adding formula, do whatever you fancy after that..

Except freshly boiled water is so hot that it destroys some nutrient in the formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭noplacehere

screamer wrote: »
    I cringe when I see idiots mixing with cold water only.

Nutramigen has to be made with room temperature water (cooled from boiling). The amount of people who jumped on me shouting about it needing to be 70 degrees….

For me my son was in tallaght hospital at three days old end. They made up the bottles in the morning for the day for us. So that’s what I did. Although nutramigen on the second was painful and so freaking stinky ugh. No idea how he drank it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

so formula is not sterile neither is non boiled water.
    This is the issue and most of the time this is ok but there are the other times that could make the baby very sick.

the perfect prep machine is a goood solution for bottles fast or pre-made formula.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    so formula is not sterile neither is non boiled water.
    This is the issue and most of the time this is ok but there are the other times that could make the baby very sick.

the perfect prep machine is a goood solution for bottles fast or pre-made formula.

To be clear for anyone reading just in case nutramigen is a medical infant formula and it is sterile. Ours was on prescription. You cannot make it up with hot/warm water or you kill some of the good stuff in it. The instructions are clear it must be made with boiled water (as it’s sterile) cooled fully to room temp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

To be clear for anyone reading just in case nutramigen is a medical infant formula and it is sterile. Ours was on prescription. You cannot make it up with hot/warm water or you kill some of the good stuff in it. The instructions are clear it must be made with boiled water (as it’s sterile) cooled fully to room temp

We had it for #2 , it was a nightmare at times!!! and the smell ugh

We had it for #2 , it was a nightmare at times!!! and the smell ugh

It’s absolutely gross. And wow if you accidentally didn’t wash out the bottle straight away. Disgusting!!! I mean it was necessary but yeah not pleasant

Do whatever suits you. There is no evidence of any increased illness in the baby no matter what method you use.

That is not entirely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

It’s absolutely gross. And wow if you accidentally didn’t wash out the bottle straight away. Disgusting!!! I mean it was necessary but yeah not pleasant

We are weaning our baby off Nutramigen onto cow's milk....I will not be sad to see the back of it. The smell of those baby burps after it - rotten :(:p

CheerLouth wrote: »
    We are weaning our baby off Nutramigen onto cow's milk....I will not be sad to see the back of it. The smell of those baby burps after it - rotten :(:p

Oh I had definitely blocked that memory out..... yuk!!

Good Luck!!

I think mine was 3 before she could tolerate cows milk, it can take a while if ever.

Good Luck!!

I think mine was 3 before she could tolerate cows milk, it can take a while if ever.

Thanks, we've started with the lactose free stuff...not sure if it was the right thing to do but her brother is on it and it suits him so hoping for the same with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Thanks, we've started with the lactose free stuff...not sure if it was the right thing to do but her brother is on it and it suits him so hoping for the same with her!

Have you spoken to a dietitian about this? Lactose is the sugar in milk which some people have an intolerance to. CMPA is an allergy rather than an intolerance, and has nothing to do with lactose - it is an allergy to the protein in cows milk. If she has CMPA and has been on nutrimagen, you should be doing the milk ladder. Lactose free stuff still contains cows milk protein (it only has the lactose sugar removed) and could make her very sick.

I am lactose intolerant and my son has CMPA. They are two completely different things.

Have you spoken to a dietitian about this? Lactose is the sugar in milk which some people have an intolerance to. CMPA is an allergy rather than an intolerance, and has nothing to do with lactose - it is an allergy to the protein in cows milk. If she has CMPA and has been on nutrimagen, you should be doing the milk ladder. Lactose free stuff still contains cows milk protein (it only has the lactose sugar removed) and could make her very sick.

I am lactose intolerant and my son has CMPA. They are two completely different things.

Thanks for this - we are liaising with our GP on it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this - we are liaising with our GP on it.

Just be mindful our GP didn’t really know anything about it. It was the dietician (and google prior to that) who actually gave me all the information about the ladder. We made it up the ladder by maybe 18 months? But had two stalls along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Just be mindful our GP didn’t really know anything about it. It was the dietician (and google prior to that) who actually gave me all the information about the ladder. We made it up the ladder by maybe 18 months? But had two stalls along the way

Yes my GP also didn't have a clue. Told me he has CMPA himself so everything has to be lactose-free.... so he clearly didn't know the difference between CMPA and lactose intolerance either.

Thanks for that, I'll bear it in mind! Our GP is normally quite good to recognise her limits though and refer where needed.
    We have done the milk ladder with our son & discovered that he is fine with yogurts, cheese etc, it's just the actual milk that upsets his system.

I had a child on lactose free milk too , I completely forget the name of it but I think it it was called enfamil. It makes such a difference!

Good Luck with it , I hope it works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

The key is to use boiled water (so its sterile) cooled to 70C (so it kills anything in the formula without killing the nutrition).Thats why the recommendation is to boil 1 litre of water and cool for 30 mins (thats how long it takes for 1 litre to cool to 70).

We pour boiled water directly into the bottles and cool in a sink of water with a kitchen thermometer so it drops to 70 in a few mins. Pop the formula in, shake, leave to cool in the sink, then into the fridge. Pretty quick process. We use within 24 hours.

I gave up on this.

Tommee Tippee perfect prep now.
    Please don't tell me it's poisonous or lethal or highly dangerous to be using this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Is the 30mins to cool to 70 not very subjective? Tried this on holidays before and was definitely cold in 30mins more like 50C. Surely the kettle used, amount of water in the kettle etc.. all impact the cooling rate.

Used perfect prep and readymades if out and about when was at that stage.

Is the 30mins to cool to 70 not very subjective? Tried this on holidays before and was definitely cold in 30mins more like 50C. Surely the kettle used, amount of water in the kettle etc.. all impact the cooling rate.

Used perfect prep and readymades if out and about when was at that stage.

Supposed to boil a litre of water, let cool for no more than 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Supposed to boil a litre of water, let cool for no more than 30 mins.

Yes but the shape, colour etc of the kettle will impact the final temperature. I'm sure there's a significant variation in temperature. Have tried it on holidays using a pot (no kettle available) and it didn't work. But the waiting for 30mins with a bawling baby doesn't sound like fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Yes but the shape, colour etc of the kettle will impact the final temperature. I'm sure there's a significant variation in temperature. Have tried it on holidays using a pot (no kettle available) and it didn't work. But the waiting for 30mins with a bawling baby doesn't sound like fun

By far the biggest factor would be the volume of water. But ya, a 30 min wait with a bawling child would be a disaster!

Advertisement