Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Henry Cavill has been cast in The Highlander reboot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Reboot….

When’s the last time somebody had an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just leave well enough alone FFS. Highlander is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

There can only be two!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭con747

Toss a coin to the Highlander :(

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

So many people have come and gone for this reboot, I am not holding my breath. They should try finding some original material instead of rebooting older movies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Long while since I saw the Highlander movies, but can we really gripe about reboots when the original movies rebooted themselves already? IIRC the batshít 2nd film just retconned the whole first film on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I love the first Highlander movie. It's on my annual watchlist, even if it is not actually a great movie. It's absolutely one of those cases were the spinoffs and sequels made it worse, because they had to retcon so damn much.

Henry Cavill is one of those actors that has massively grown on me over the last few years, and I can't actually think of a movie or TV show that I didn't enjoy him in. He was a great Superman, even if the movies weren't great and he amazing in The Witcher.

I think with him cast as the lead there's a much higher chance the movie will actually happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

All the highlander movies except for the first one were ****e. However I was a fan of the series with Adrian Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Has a Scottish dude been cast as a Spaniard yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,920 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Henry is bit devoid of charisma imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'm actually all for this.

Feel the franchise deserves a proper expansion.

First one is a charming mess, and if we just ignore the rest maybe we'll see what should have been.

As much as I like Geralt, hoping for a bit more obvious levity from Cavill here. Lambert had a bit of silliness to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Henry is bit devoid of charisma imho

Yeah ,I think he is positively woeful, unbelievably wooden in anything I've seen him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Couldn't disagree more. Great in Mission Impossible and Man from Uncle.

There isn't a ton to work with on the Witcher but he did a passable job with it.

As for Superman, I firmly believe he has been the best Superman we've had since Reeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Super, Another 80s classic dragged out and milked for some last drops of flavour to add to a standard formula entertainment product

Popular culture in the West is a zombie, its best "beloved" moments long dead but shuffling through the motions for the zombie customers who'll buy the action figure and franchise cap. "Yay!! I vaguely remember that this was a thing once so I looove it!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Slydice wrote: »
    Has a Scottish dude been cast as a Spaniard yet? :D

Egyptian!
    A man famous for only being capable of his own accent finally does a film set in Scotland and he’s cast as an Egyptian and called a Spaniard.
    Love the original movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

salmocab wrote: »
    Egyptian!
    A man famous for only being capable of his own accent finally does a film set in Scotland and he’s cast as an Egyptian and called a Spaniard.
    Love the original movie.

While a French man with little English was cast as a Scot.

While a French man with little English was cast as a Scot.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

salmocab wrote: »
    Egyptian!

I didn't have a clue from what I'd remembered! They did that well!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Slydice wrote: »
    I didn't have a clue from what I'd remembered! They did that well!

He was really an Alien so neither a Spaniard or an Egyptian ;)

He was really an Alien so neither a Spaniard or an Egyptian ;)

Luckily his planet had a Scottish accent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The challenge with rebooting Highlander is finding a way to expand the mythology beyond the story of the original film. Aside from their belief that "there can be only one" etc, the immortals and their ages-old war against each other was not very well developed. Highlander II tried to explore their power and origin with results so disastrous that nobody attempted it again. The heart of the original film is just a story of a man cursed to live forever, which isn't a particularly original or interesting concept in itself. The rest of the film is just sword fights and '80s music montages. There's not a lot to reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The real question is, will Cavill be able to pull off Christopher Lambert's iconic laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Lambert had such a peculiar acting style which made it very memorable. Will be curious as to whether they opt for a Kurgun character again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Considering the original this is my favorite movie ever and I loved the Adrian Paul series, a reboot like this is fantastic and I really hope it happens.

I love Henry. Hes a handsome nerd who really loves what he does.

Lambert had such a peculiar acting style which made it very memorable. Will be curious as to whether they opt for a Kurgun character again?

I hope they keep it dark enough, I’d worry we’re going to see the Rock in it and it being w colourful romp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For those interested and haven't seen it, the original film is on Netflix (IE).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I rewatched it a couple of years back with junior, as 80's movies go now I wouldnt describe it as top tier , at the time it was made it was a super cool film but the idea of someone living though history has been done to death with vampire films and shows, cant see any curiosity for this film

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Queen soundtrack or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I won't see it as I hate when modern society puts their slant on old classics. It never works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

p to the e wrote: »
    Queen soundtrack or nothing

dont you miss that though, the tie in with music at the time, Breakfast Club, Ghostbusters, Top Gun.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement