Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Is it too hard to guess at the moment when the late 30's age group will be opened up for booking on the portal? I would presume June sometime?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Corholio wrote: »
    Is it too hard to guess at the moment when the late 30's age group will be opened up for booking on the portal? I would presume June sometime?

When is the 40-45 one likely to open? I know several ppl in 40-42 range. Just curious what the likely timing would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I thought this was already resolved and with huge media and publicity about the fact that you could get J&J or AstraZeneca if no mRNA was available and you were happy to proceed and that otherwise, you could opt to wait?

I mean unless you were living under a rock for the last week or two, you’d surely know this? It’s not some obscure memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yeah. I mean they have sfa to be worrying about these days. Useless dossers.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I mean they have sfa to be worrying about these days. Useless dossers.

Sending people home who’ve vaccine appointments is pretty shocking. They operate in a state of permanent crisis anyway, so it’s nothing new.

Personally, I will never get over having waiting over an hour for an ambulance in the middle of a major city because my mother had a stroke on a Sunday. She died 24 hours later. This was before any pandemics.

We don’t have a competent, adequately resourced healthcare system. It’s beyond broken and barely functions even in normal times.

I strongly suspect that’s why we’ve been so badly hit by hackers. If the IT systems are as precariously wobbling along, held together by sellotape and good will, like large chunks of the rest of the system, it’s no surprise it was highly vulnerable.

It’s nothing to do with hardworking staff. They’re run off their feet because the system itself is an absolute mess and has been for decades.

Dismiss it with a quip of you like, but very few people in Ireland have much confidence in the health system or health policy. It will eventually become a major political crisis and it’s actually quite amazing it hasn’t been to date.

The fact that it’s limped though the pandemic without melting down entirely is more of a surprise than something most of us would have taken as a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Got my first dose of Pfizer here in London (thrilled :)). Second dose appointment is in 12 weeks. I'm moving back to Ireland over the summer. Does anyone know if I can get my second dose back home (once I'm eligible there)? I can travel back here for it if needs be, but would prefer not to. Though I'm wondering if it would cause a major headache being on two vax systems and not fully vaccinated on either?

If you go through the training guides for the vax centres, this is one of the questions. So yes they would be able to facilitate you. I’d guess you would need to ring the HSE though to get on the system and get set up for the appointment. In short they will put into their system the first dose and then out in the second dose when you are there.

ddarcy wrote: »
    If you go through the training guides for the vax centres, this is one of the questions. So yes they would be able to facilitate you. I’d guess you would need to ring the HSE though to get on the system and get set up for the appointment. In short they will put into their system the first dose and then out in the second dose when you are there.

Within Ireland: 1850 24 1850
    From abroad: +353 1 240 8787

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

ddarcy wrote: »

Are these training guides available online?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

revelman wrote: »
    Are these training guides available online?

Yep.

In relation to the question:
    [url] https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/dose-1-in-another-country.pdf[/url]

In total for the overview:
    [url] https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/hsecovid19vms.html[/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

Happy, I got Pfizer this morning in Abbey hotel Roscommon.I had twice texted back new to AZ. In fact I canceled off the portal rang again Monday and was re-entered into it. Got appointment Thursday for today.

Since early April the Germans have been expecting 540,000 J&J doses delivered on the last week of May. This would work out at 32,000 J&J doses arriving for us next week.

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Impfstoff/Lieferprognose_Praxen-Betriebsaerzte_2._Quartal.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

My brother and sister in law down for J & J in Brett house Castlebar today and tomorrow. 53 and 54 .
    Since early April the Germans have been expecting 540,000 J&J doses delivered on the last week of May. This would work out at 32,000 J&J doses arriving for us next week.

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Impfstoff/Lieferprognose_Praxen-Betriebsaerzte_2._Quartal.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

In Citywest today don't know why but I was expecting to walk in when given a timed appointment :D:D..........after an hour and a half of being herded like sheep was thinking what was the point of giving a time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

My OH got his second dose Pfizer from GP today , high risk.
    Efficient , lovely service and in and out in 15 mins .
    That's both of us now ...I love this country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Sending people home who’ve vaccine appointments is pretty shocking. They operate in a state of permanent crisis anyway, so it’s nothing new.

Personally, I will never get over having waiting over an hour for an ambulance in the middle of a major city because my mother had a stroke on a Sunday. She died 24 hours later. This was before any pandemics.

We don’t have a competent, adequately resourced healthcare system. It’s beyond broken and barely functions even in normal times.

I strongly suspect that’s why we’ve been so badly hit by hackers. If the IT systems are as precariously wobbling along, held together by sellotape and good will, like large chunks of the rest of the system, it’s no surprise it was highly vulnerable.

It’s nothing to do with hardworking staff. They’re run off their feet because the system itself is an absolute mess and has been for decades.

Dismiss it with a quip of you like, but very few people in Ireland have much confidence in the health system or health policy. It will eventually become a major political crisis and it’s actually quite amazing it hasn’t been to date.

The fact that it’s limped though the pandemic without melting down entirely is more of a surprise than something most of us would have taken as a given.

:(

You are high risk . Anybody with hypertension is at risk of becoming severely ill if you catch it , so you would be advised to ring your GP and ask for a referral . He is after all prescribing your meds I presume ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Lines up with Belgium's forecast posted earlier.
    It will be interesting to see how June pans out numbers wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is anyone living with parents that won't get vaccinated? Really tricky situation to be in.

Pfizer and AZ “highly effective” against Indian variant, according to Public Health England.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/22/pfizer-and-astrazeneca-highly-effective-against-india-covid-variant
    Both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs are highly effective at protecting people from the strain of the Covid-19 virus first found in India, a study by Public Health England (PHE) has found.

The analysis, carried out between 5 April and 16 May, found the Pfizer vaccine was 88% effective against symptomatic disease from the India variant two weeks after a second dose, compared with 93% effectiveness against the Kent strain. For its part, the AstraZeneca jab was 60% effective, compared with 66% against the Kent variant over the same period.

The difference in effectiveness between the two vaccines could be due to the rollout of second AstraZeneca doses taking place later than those for the Pfizer jab, PHE said on Saturday. . Data suggests that it takes longer for the AstraZeneca jab to reach maximum effectiveness, so the protection it provides could increase further.

What's efficiency rate of Pfizer/AZ after 1 dose against Indian variant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Hopefully people love it enough to spend as much as they can within the country over the next few months. :)
    Goldengirl wrote: »
    My OH got his second dose Pfizer from GP today , high risk.
    Efficient , lovely service and in and out in 15 mins .
    That's both of us now ...I love this country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

feelings wrote: »
    Hopefully people love it enough to spend as much as they can within the country over the next few months. :)

Or abroad if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

I'm starting this thread for people to post any and all links to articles from verifiable sources regarding covid 19 vaccines, their trials, adverse reactions etc, about long covid and anything else others consider useful information re:same.
    My reason being , I posted my reasons for not wanting to get the vaccine from what little info. I could find out about them in the anti-vax thread. I was shouted down from the rooftops about they're being completely wrong and that I was an anti-vaxxer. Thankfully some responses I got where alot better and they provided logical reasons as to why , as I can see now , I was woefully misinformed about them. I think therein lies the problem and the reason for this thread
    the complete lack of information available to people that's out there, which probably does feed back into the anti-vax stance.
    I don't think it's acceptable for me and others to just be told, you have to take the vaccine to save yourself and others. Sorry but just NO, show me the science behind that. The what, why, where and when so to speak. I want and need to know!!!!
    I tried to find out this type of information by myself and realise now I failed miserably at it, totally misinformed tbf.
    I really think there's a need to have this information readily available to people, to allow them to comprehend the science and reasons behind it so as to alay their fears.
    This isn't a place for anti-vaxxers and tit for tat postings.
    Links to information as much as possible please.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

What kind of information are you looking for? The FDA and EMA have said the vaccines are safe and effective (with very minor qualifications). Loads of info out there in their websites as well as the easier to digest stuff in the media.

Without a phd in science, which I’m assuming you don’t have, how can you hope to truly understand the technicalities of what goes into the vaccines and why they are effective at preventing serious disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

What's efficiency rate of Pfizer/AZ after 1 dose against Indian variant?

From what i’m reading Indian variant : 33% after 1st dose. The UK variant : 51% after 1st dose.

Second dose 81% for the indian scariant and 87% for the UK scariant.

( symptomatic infection)

Goldengirl wrote: »
    :(

You are high risk . Anybody with hypertension is at risk of becoming severely ill if you catch it , so you would be advised to ring your GP and ask for a referral . He is after all prescribing your meds I presume ?

Seems it's only hypertension cardiac disease that's covered as high risk. I just have hypertension. There's no underlying cardiac issue - was all checked out.

I'll run it past my GP, but it doesn't seem to be covered.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Oh... hey there buzz killington... :pac:
    Or abroad if they so wish.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change address on the vaccine portal? I have a friend who is now still living in one part of the country and will likely get the first vaccine there but is soon moving to the opposite end of the country. By the time of the second vaccine, she will be living down here. I guess she could travel back up to get her second dose but has anyone noticed this option in the portal? Or maybe she could do this by phoning?

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    From what i’m reading Indian variant : 33% after 1st dose. The UK variant : 51% after 1st dose.

Second dose 81% for the indian scariant and 87% for the UK scariant.

( symptomatic infection)

Thanks for info but there's no point calling them scariants, they need to be identified, if the media purports doomsday reporting on them that's on them.

Advertisement