Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jupiter's Legacy [Netflix]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Embedded trailer here: looks all right, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jaded by all these off-brand Superhero tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭shawki

Mark Millar's stuff has a decent track record in Film/TV so I'm hopeful for this.

All the below have been decent.
    Kick-Ass
    Wanted
    Kingsman
    Superman-Red Son
    Logan (More inspired by than adapted)
    Captain America: Civil War

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This dropped today BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just another show that I will wait to come to TV. Just to awkward to watch otherwise although I might be able to watch this if it is on Netflix. Do forget I have that sometimes lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It's a Netflix original. It's there in the title and trailers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭shawki

I had a duvet day today, series was worth watching but no where near the standard of other non-marvel shows.

Won’t say anymore til people have a chance to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

shawki wrote: »
    I had a duvet day today, series was worth watching but no where near the standard of other non-marvel shows.

Won’t say anymore til people have a chance to catch up.
    I still haven't had a chance to watch it
    But massive disparity in IMDb rating versus rotten tomatoes...
    9.5.....versus 44% at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There is lots of talking but more than passable

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched episode 1.
    It's an odd one, it looks like they spent a lot of money on it....but parts of it looked weirdly cheap
    the big group fight looked really odd and stilted.
    Decent cast....bar the two kids...really poor tbh..bland.
    Not near as edgy or OTT as something like the boys, but also not exactly kiddie/family friendly really either. Felt like something from the CW oddly.

It has some interesting ideas at its core but not really grabbing me yet, I will probably watch a few more to see where it goes.

Maybe Invincible has set too high of a recent bar for the superhero stuff for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

First episode makes me not want to see any more.

I'm guessing that's not what they were aiming for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

McDermotX wrote: »
    First episode makes me not want to see any more.

I'm guessing that's not what they were aiming for ?

It gets better after the first few episodes - and I quite enjoyed the origin storyline

Needs a second season with the cliffhanger

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

For anyone that doesn't know this is the first show between Netflix and Mark Miller. A few years ago he sign a deal that all his books going forward would be Netflix exclusive. Mark was a successful Marvel comic book writer but left to start his own comic book company. He has hit with Kick-Ass & Kingsman's films based on his comics. It came across as Netflix seeing Miller's range of books as a way of competing with the loss of the Marvel Daredevil & crew books. I was surprised by how little hype this show seems to have and the little marketing Netflix put into it, seeing as it's the first show with Miller and having Steven S Knight on board, but after watching most of it I can see why they didn't.
    The show is very boring. I am up to esp 6 and they are still not on the Island. Also, why should I care so much about the Island, we know they get powers there, the more interesting bit is them coming back after they get their powers and seeing how the world is affected by them.
    I like Josh Duhamel but his acting is not great. I almost laugh at the bit with his dad on the roof and him reacting to it. I almost forget Leslie Bibb was in the show till esp 6 as she's done next to nothing.
    I can't get a grip on the kids at all. They behave and are treated like teenagers but I assume they are supposed to a bit older? early 20's?
    The actress playing the daughter is miscast.

Like a lot of this superhero T.V. show the action is thin on the ground. There only been one big fight in esp 1. I'm only up to six but it's a slog.

As someone else said the tone is off. If you wanted a show about 1920's America and then some stuff in the modern world about superhero's being sad about being bad parents, this is the show for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

jface187 wrote: »
    ... about superhero's being sad about being bad parents, this is the show for you.

I'm out! Rarely do tv shows make parenting entertaining, and most mess it up. But I don't have/want kids so all the feels, etc are lost on me. And with the comments above about the kids being either miscast or not great, it doesn't sound like I'd like this at all. I was hoping for another The Boys type show...

Ok, so in the interest of fairness (and out of complete boredom), I said I'd at least give this a go. And I'm liking it. I think I'm liking the overall idea the most, and it's a good play on the current climate for "heroes" (front line emergency services), insofar as it's impossible to always be good. I'm 5 episodes in now. But I am happy it's better than I thought it would be.

Overall, I think the acting is quite strong, or at the very least it's consistent. The only negative right now, imo, is Brandon. He reminds me of a modern version of an actor from a good few years back, he looks very similar and equally was not good at acting, but I can't for the life of me remember who he is. (Edit: Milo Ventimiglia!) Anyway, I thought the kids would ruin it, but at least they're adults (I had only barely skimmed the release trailer - I try to do that these days) and while Brandon isn't great, yer one is better, I think she's perfectly portraying
    drugged up rich bitch
    quite well. Her friends, to me, are most likely future cannon fodder so not too pushed on how they come across tbh. But the main cast is quite strong so far. Was very surprised to see
    Kurtwood Smith
    , think he done a good albeit brief job. And the shrink reveal was unexpected, so that has me interested too.

So yeah, there's a good few parts i'm interested in, and while the CGI can be a bit ropey, it's acceptable at least, with some effects looking quite well (that uppercut from the daughter, yurt!). It's definitely not The Boys, but it's not bad at all. It's not going to win any awards, but it's keeping me interested. Will finish it off tomorrow night tonight, and the ending will make or break this for me I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I watched the whole thing over the weekend. Most of the episodes are only about 40-45 minutes long and it's only eight episodes long. The pacing is a bit weird on it - I really wanted to see more of the origin story throughout and at times I was kind of waiting for the modern parts to finish to get to the origin story again. In the end, the origin story felt like it petered out while the story set in the present age really took off and I definitely want to see what happens with that in the second season. I didn't really have an issue with the way the kids, apart from the son Brandon whole is unbelievably bland, are portrayed. They come across, for the most part, as the entitled douchebags they would be.

The whole strict adherence to the code is completely overbaked - I know it's there to explore the moral ambiguity of what's right and wrong but surely these issues would have been hammered out by the superheroes over the last eighty years of their existence. It would have made more sense to see them trying to deal with these issues in the past rather than still being stuck on them now.

Overall it's a bit up and down but there is definitely enough in it for me to keep watching it.

Also, there's absolutely no point in comparing it to the Boys - it's a completely different take on the Superhero myth to that. There's no comedy and one of the criticisms you could make about it is that it probably takes itself a bit too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watched it over the weekend and I agree it's ok. It really seems a bit confused but it held my interest. Now that they have sorted the origin story the 2nd season should be more focussed. The 2nd season will make it break this. I find the actors playing the kids extremely annoying and I wouldn't complain if they recast them.

As everyone has already said this isn't another "The Boys".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭brevity

It’s a bit meh.

I can’t get past the fact that some characters are supposed to be “old” but look about the same age as the “young” characters.

I’m more interested in the lore rather than the characters really.

Finished this, and like above, the lore is more interesting right now. Should there be a second season, I hope we learn more about it. I also don't reckon they're done with the 1930s, plenty to work with
    regarding motivation behind the brother. And what actually happened with George, now that we know the brother might have been behind it all to begin with.

Episode 7 was the best for me, plenty happening in both times. A good origin I thought, and interesting without getting bogged down. The ending I don't think had the impact they were hoping for, but it has left me wanting more. Second season will make or break this.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Watched the first 10 minutes, was ready turn it off, finished the episode. Meh, I'll give it one or two more eps.....ended up watching 5, just finished it today. The lore and backstory is more interesting as it goes on, really enjoyed it. The kids angst and whining was annoying and never really went anywhere. And then, as previously said, the ending didn't have the impact. I actually said out loud, is that ****1n it?

Will watch season 2 though, hope for more expansion and flashbacks to OTHER main characters stories. 6/10.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Have done 6 episodes and only sticking as Mr PC7 watching it. It’s very weak, could have been much better, the dodgy wigs are irritating me. 4/10 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Solid intro, gets across the characters, some history, where we are now and then has a hook at the end
    (blackstar clone maybe). I'd been guessing that maybe heroes might have been killed but I think this shows their power level is massive.

2: Hmmm.. looks like Brandon
    might be the target of some baddie. Then there's The Island (TM)
    :) which kinda reminds me of the Arrow backstory. I wonder if this dude in the flashbacks
    who appeared at the end.. with his brain exposed?.. was there controlling the events in the backstory.. or is maybe someone modern day probing one of the heroes minds.

3: When he said
    The Big Mans heart!!
    :eek: I like how they tie the shows present day and flashbacks together. Also was cool
    to see Chloe in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Going by the promo images, I was sure this was a superhero piss take with Bill Hader. Those wigs look intentionally bad.

I thought similar too. I had to google to check if it was a comedy but it's not.

After 3 episodes, it feels like it's trying to stay a solid superhero story with a decent budget but not a gigantic budget and they are using the money well enough so far.

4: This backstory and forwardstory combo is realing working well for me. They feel so different but a bit the same.
    I've no idea what's going on with Chloe, she could be about to lose her powers or get even bigger ones or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭wandererz

I liked it. Watched all 8 episodes and awaiting the next season.
    Much better overall compared to some of the other scifi stuff out there.

The origins story provided a nice hold-on.

5: Alright, so this was a big setup episode to get the flashback timeline
    trip in order..

but in little bits along the way..
    the watch, the fiance .. Georges son.. something tells me that it's not a clone of Blackstar, that it's some kinda time travel.. and that there's a as-yet unidentified kingpin.. maybe the fiance..

6: Right, they're
    at The Island (TM)! I assume that Sheldon is maybe finished with the visions and now it's going to be about them getting their powers there somewhere. Also guessing the Chloe story is going to be influenced by Ghost Beams death.

• Advertisement

7: Mon Dieu! :D I liked that one.
    The step up in Music and intensity for them to get their powers was really cool. Guessing the dudes on the boat also got some powers. Maybe even one of em is Blackstar or a mysterious baddie not seen yet.

Advertisement