Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Easy-safe cycling routes in Dublin south

• 22-05-2021 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

my wife just started cycling but doesn't feel safe cycling on the road, so I was looking for some safe routes in the Dublin South / Bray / Greystone area with dedicated cycling lanes away from trafficked roads, possibly in the nature. Would you have any suggestion? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

There's the whole segregated bike path from Blackrock Park all the way to the Forty Foot. Pretty busy with cyclists at the weekend but very few sections where you are on the road and dealing with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

Marley Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

marvin42 wrote: »
    Marley Park

It isn't a cycling park. There isn't a cycle route all the way round.

South Dublin/North Wicklow is a big place. Would you drive to somewhere and then cycle or do you want to start from home?

Corkagh Park has a purpose built cycle track completely off road and enclosed. Glenasmole reservoir is lovely again off road but shared with walkers.

If you're planning routes cycle.travel tends to give you quieter roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If there are AXA Community bike rides in your area, they tend to be aimed at beginners/improvers in small groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BizWiz66

South Dublin/North Wicklow is a big place. Would you drive to somewhere and then cycle or do you want to start from home?

Yes, I bought a bike rack for the car. Thanks for the tips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

BizWiz66 wrote: »
    Yes, I bought a bike rack for the car. Thanks for the tips!

I know it's not South Dublin but a drive out to Maynooth gives access to the Royal Canal greenway which is a fantastic facility for cyclists who don't want to share the road.

Good progress being made on the Barrow Blueway too, Drive to Robertstown gives about 25km of canal bank cycling via Lowtown

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hi OP, they actually released a new app called 'Dublin Cycling Buddy' that your wife may find useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BizWiz66

Thank you everyone for the tips so far, amazing! Really looking forward to test out the places you suggested! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Dodder is good too. Segregated cycling along a lot of it. You can cycle the 24km from Bohernabreena to Ringsend and only go on about 3 km of road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

BizWiz66 wrote: »
    Hi,

my wife just started cycling but doesn't feel safe cycling on the road, so I was looking for some safe routes in the Dublin South / Bray / Greystone area with dedicated cycling lanes away from trafficked roads, possibly in the nature. Would you have any suggestion? Thank you!

Belmont Demesne is on the Bray side of Greystones and has a bunch of off road routes. The green (easy) route is doable on any bike, totally off road and away from traffic, and has some beautiful scenery. A bit further afield, the tracks around Roundwood / Vartry Reservoirs are great fun on a bike, gorgeous scenery and safe as houses. I haven't cycled them myself, but I reckon the Blessington Greenway would also fit the bill nicely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement