Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restrained Tennessee man told 'you shouldnt be able to breathe' moments before death

• 21-05-2021 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/554681-video-shows-officer-saying-you-shouldnt-be-able-to-breathe-moments
    footage of the incident shows officers yelling at the man as he tells them he can’t breathe. "You shouldn't be able to breathe, you stupid bastard," a female officer can be heard saying,

Officers kept a knee to Jennette’s back while one spoke up and said: "Easy, easy — remember asphyxiation, guys,"
    “That's why I'm not on his lungs, to let him breathe,” an officer replied.

The last thing Jennette said before his death was “I’m good” when an officer yelled back at him saying "No, you ain't good. You're going to lay right there for a ****ing minute.”

The cause of death, according to the autopsy, was “acute combined drug intoxication” caused by meth. However, it was also ruled a homicide, listing "asphyxia" as a "contributory cause of death.”

The man had been arrested two days before for public intoxication, indecent exposure and resisting arrest, and was 'detoxing' at the time

Theres a serious issue with police discipline in the us, how does this keep happening?

Edit, video and more info here: this was about 3 weeks BEFORE George Floyd's death

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/you-shouldnt-be-able-to-breathe-officer-tells-man-before-he-dies

"There's approximately a three-minute, 43-second period after officers have applied handcuffs where they keep the individual in the prone position, and that's not acceptable,"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What always amazes me is that despite the coverage of so many of these cases, worldwide coverage in some cases such as George Floyd, it doesn't seem to have any impact on the mentality of the police, cause them to think twice about what they're doing or saying, cause them to alter their behaviour in any way.

What kind of mentality does it take, that when you hear somebody under restraint saying they can't breathe, your reaction is not to think that it's better to be safe than sorry, that you don't need another media storm on your hands, that you don't need to spend the a few years in jail, instead you think that the best thing you can do right now is say (on camera) that "You shouldn't be able to breathe, you stupid bastard".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Grand juries aren't worth a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,513 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I am kind of shocked a grand jury with that evidence would have decided not to at least bring it to trial. I'm not seeing detailed reporting on it though. Eager to know more about what prosecutors presented them and how it was bubble-wrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

BLM won't worry about this, he was white.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Jesus Christ the low level of what he was arrested for in the first place. I know nobody deserves that but it's all the more depressing for such petty crime for that to happen to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭francois

Yes, well the clue is in the B part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Hoboo

osarusan wrote: »
    What always amazes me is that despite the coverage of so many of these cases, worldwide coverage in some cases such as George Floyd, it doesn't seem to have any impact on the mentality of the police, cause them to think twice about what they're doing or saying, cause them to alter their behaviour in any way.

What kind of mentality does it take, that when you hear somebody under restraint saying they can't breathe, your reaction is not to think that it's better to be safe than sorry, that you don't need another media storm on your hands, that you don't need to spend the a few years in jail, instead you think that the best thing you can do right now is say (on camera) that "You shouldn't be able to breathe, you stupid bastard".

No matter where you go, members of the police force are not the brightest or best. Glorified security guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,087 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

American Police just arent that smart.

The only solution they have to any problem is to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭hawley

I think the fact that he was banging his head against a concrete wall the day before told against him. It could be seen as a contributory factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

More tellingly though, neither will the All Lives Matter crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Smee_Again wrote: »

Or Uncle Joe ringing up the family to say how sorry he is that this has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

pjohnson wrote: »
    American Police just arent that smart.

The only solution they have to any problem is to kill.

That's a pretty sh*tty generalization to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Smee_Again wrote: »

What does it tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

These f*ckers are control freaks, simple as that. They genuinely believe that having the temerity not to treat every police officer as the incarnation of God himself carries a justified possibility or threat of death. And by "these f*ckers" I don't mean all American cops, but I do mean a significant proportion unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah even the language they use says a lot about policing in the US.

I wonder is part of the problem that a lot of police officers were originally in the military. So they're going from one organisation like the Marines where they are regimentaly trained to basically take no prisoners, to treat everyone harshly, to use your gun first and ask questions later, if it all. And they do that for 20 years before joining their local police force but the police training doesnt really seem to have a reset button on how they should treat American citizens compared to being in the Marines and part of an occupying force in a foreign country. So they end up treating citizens much as they would treat locals if they were part of the army in Iraq or Afghanistan. Their default position seems to be just treat everyone as the enemy and the practice ends up escalating situations rather than deescalating them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Y
    I wonder is part of the problem that a lot of police officers were originally in the military. So they're going from one organisation like the Marines where they are regimentaly trained to basically take no prisoners, to treat everyone harshly, to use your gun first and ask questions later, if it all. And they do that for 20 years before joining their local police force but the police training doesnt really seem to have a reset button on how they should treat American citizens compared to being in the Marines and part of an occupying force in a foreign country. So they end up treating citizens much as they would treat locals if they were part of the army in Iraq or Afghanistan. Their default position seems to be just treat everyone as the enemy and the practice ends up escalating situations rather than deescalating them

I think the gun culture has led to an increasing escalation in tensions where people on all sides are on edge that they might be too late to react if something wrong and so they start out aggressive and take it from there.

Not necessarily the case in this instance but when so many fairly inocuous engagements start with someone drawing a weapon (tazer or gun) it's indicative of a system that just isn't working.

Put the same people who say police have to be forceful because what happens if they get shot don't want to talk about gun control and so the spiral continues.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What does it tell you?

Well there isn’t the same in-depth expert analysis about how the police aren’t at fault/were right to do this than if it happens to a black person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

What does it tell you?

All I need to know.

Advertisement