Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garden trellis

• 20-05-2021 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I'm aware that l can erect a 2 metre trellis along my rear garden boundary under exempted development. However l would like to know for certain if this 2 metres is taken on my side of the boundary or my neighbours side of the boundary? Is there anything written down anywhere to clarify this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Usually from the lower ground level. I don't think you will find anything specifically written down in relation to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

What is existing rear boundary height and construction ? Is it a shared boundary with a neighbour ? Sounds like you don't plan to touch existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Existing boundary is a 1m high block wall which offers limited privacy and security

If there is nothing written anywhere to say the height must be taken from the lower side then should 2m Max height from my side be acceptable?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

horsebox7 wrote: »
    If there is nothing written anywhere to say the height must be taken from the lower side then should 2m Max height from my side be acceptable?

What would height end up as on other side?

• Advertisement

Roughly 2.1m. l would love to know if there is any documents limiting it to 2m on the neighbour ing side?

l would love to know if there is any documents limiting it to 2m on the neighbour ing side?

As a result of what you want to do, the boundary becomes 2.1m high (even though on one side only) so does not meet criteria for exempt development.

Thanks. Can l ask where it says that it has to be no higher than 2m on both sides of the boundary for exempt development?

Thanks. Can l ask where it says that it has to be no higher than 2m on both sides of the boundary for exempt development?

It doesn't. But the criteria for exempted development are quite simple. If you do not meet the criteria for exempt development, it's not exempt.

Suggest adding your trellis so that the top is max. 2.0m over the lower ground level?

Thanks for that. My understanding is that if it is 2m on the boundary of the subject house it is acceptable as there is no reference made to the height on the neighbouring side of the boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,819 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The regs merely state "ground level" so make of that what you will. If you decide that it applies in respect of the higher level then you need to be prepared for a battle with the local Council and An Bord Pleanala. I say that as from reading your posts it looks like you have an issue with the neighbour. Perhaps Im wrong in that reading.

It is widely accepted by all professions that the 2m height would be measured from the lowest point of the ground. You wont find any reference in any planning legislation that states higher or lower ground levels or any variation thereof.

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't see any reference to ground level. Can you take a screenshot please?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,819 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't see any reference to ground level. Can you take a screenshot please?
    Apologies, it doesnt say ground level but merely "height" being the height above ground level. The exact wording of the relevant condition attached to the exemption is "The height of any such structure shall not exceed 2 metres or, in the case of a wall or fence within or bounding any garden or other space in front of a house, 1.2 metres". Taken from the 2001 Regs.

Thanks. Good to clarify no reference is made to which side of the boundary it is measured from. One can only assume it's the structure within the subject site. No reference made to conditions for neighbouring properties.

Advertisement