Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connemara aviation- Aer Arann Islands get contract to 2025

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've had the maintenance contract for the Inishbofin/mainland pair for a while now.

L1011 wrote: »
    They've had the maintenance contract for the Inishbofin/mainland pair for a while now.

When did they get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Do we have to be prepared for a new sabre-rattling episode in 2025 so?

Do we have to be prepared for a new sabre-rattling episode in 2025 so?

Eh, are you looking to have those airfields shut down instead? Or maybe Farranfore & Donegal to join them because “the only true aviation is the big airports that don’t take MY taxes”??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I feel that Aer Arann Islands is missing a trick by not explicitly selling organised day trips to the islands. I'm looking at things to do this summer – and as far as I can see the bicycle rental places are nowhere near the airports on any of the islands.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

SeaSlacker wrote: »
    Eh, are you looking to have those airfields shut down instead? Or maybe Farranfore & Donegal to join them because “the only true aviation is the big airports that don’t take MY taxes”??

No I want them to stay open. But every couple of years there seems to be a bit of argy bargy about the contract and the price for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Noxegon wrote: »
    Maybe slightly off-topic, but I feel that Aer Arann Islands is missing a trick by not explicitly selling organised day trips to the islands. I'm looking at things to do this summer – and as far as I can see the bicycle rental places are nowhere near the airports on any of the islands.

From past experience, and per their website, there's a private mini-bus that connects with all of the flights that will take you to where the bicycle rentals businesses are located (along with anywhere else on the islands!).

Absolutely true. Could be a marvellous little interconnect of bicycle hire (including electric bike) were available at the little island terminals.

I must say I love the Islander aircraft, noisy though it is. Made for the job, a solid performer for short runways and well able for the weather conditions encountered. Had I taken up a piloting career, I would like nothing better than to serve little island communities.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    From past experience, and per their website, there's a private mini-bus that connects with all of the flights that will take you to where the bicycle rentals businesses are located (along with anywhere else on the islands!).

I saw that. That's certainly possible.

That being said, when I'm only going to be in a place for 7/8 hours total my preference would be depart directly for my plan rather than take a minibus somewhere else first.

There are plenty of all-inclusive day trip packages by boat. Kind of surprised there are none by air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

That being said, when I'm only going to be in a place for 7/8 hours total my preference would be depart directly for my plan rather than take a minibus somewhere else first.

There are plenty of all-inclusive day trip packages by boat. Kind of surprised there are none by air.

there are local rivalries to contend with, that's why.

Well, I'm definitely NOT going to visit by boat. I learned that lesson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The minibus rides would be less than 10 mins max - I think that would be perfectly manageable within your day out scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

You can't get off the pier, from the boat without being accosted by aggressive bike hawkers. I was once walking away from the boat when a teenager approached me and asked me and my girlfriend if we wanted bikes. When we declined, he got aggressive and shouty and took us both by surprise. "ye need a bike...ye have to have one to get around!....why don't ye want one?!" Well, that was the Aran islands experience ruined for us from the start.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    You can't get off the pier, from the boat without being accosted by aggressive bike hawkers. I was once walking away from the boat when a teenager approached me and asked me and my girlfriend if we wanted bikes. When we declined, he got aggressive and shouty and took us both by surprise. "ye need a bike...ye have to have one to get around!....why don't ye want one?!" Well, that was the Aran islands experience ruined for us from the start.

Never seen that happening but those islands are set up as a giant milking parlour to milk tourists. The throngs of people going to those ones compared to other islands around the country is absolutely unreal.

I remember being in Doolin one time and the ferries were flat out going back and forth packed to the brim with girls with lovely bottoms. Schedule be damned, as soon as the thing came back they filled it to capacity and back out again the whole day long. Unbelievable. If Dursey had that many visitors the queue for the cable car would stretch to Malin Head

Advertisement