Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Entry Level Bike

• 20-05-2021 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking to buy an entry level road bike through the bike to work scheme. I'm a novice cyclist so not looking for anything too fancy really, just within the €1,250 price range.

Currently looking at the Wilier Montegrappa:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-montegrappa-tiagra-road-bike-190094.html

Any idea if this any use for €1,100?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

Hi folks, looking to buy an entry level road bike through the bike to work scheme. I'm a novice cyclist so not looking for anything too fancy really, just within the €1,250 price range.

Not available from that seller any more, and you'll pay 14% duty on bikes from the UK.

For that kind of money this bike from Decathlon might be good - Decathlon bikes are well-regarded. It's 105 (11-speed) which is a step up from the 10-speed Tiagra.

Not currently available online but you could ask the shop about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Dante

ARX wrote: »
    Not available from that seller any more, and you'll pay 14% duty on bikes from the UK.

For that kind of money this bike from Decathlon might be good - Decathlon bikes are well-regarded. It's 105 (11-speed) which is a step up from the 10-speed Tiagra.

Not currently available online but you could ask the shop about it.
    I just used that link to show the spec really, I'm actually picking it up in the local bike shop. Just want to make sure its not a complete dud before buying!

I actually tried decathlon for that very same bike yesterday but they said their stock is non-existant for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

Ah right, then in that case I'd say that looks like a good bike for the money, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

If it's any way decent (others might confirm) and your lbs has it in stock, then go for it, or you might be waiting a while.

noby wrote: »
    If it's any way decent (others might confirm) and your lbs has it in stock, then go for it, or you might be waiting a while.
    Yep, they have it in stock which is why I'm trying to figure out if its worth buying.

It seems like there is a pretty big bike shortage across the board? Everywhere I ring has no stock of low/mid range bikes available.

• Advertisement

Wilier would be a very well respected brand, maybe not as well known as some of the others big names out there. I almost pulled the trigger on that same bike you linked last year as it was going for a much reduced price but snoozed on it and missed out.

What are the shop looking for for one out of interest? If I recall it was sub 1k when I was looking at it on Merlin

EDIT: I need to learn to read, you mentioned the price in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭byrnem31

About a 1k seems right. It's a lovely looking bike and very distinct as it's different from, cubes, treks, giants etc. Plus you are very lucky to get anything at the moment. I'd buy it no problem if I were in the same situation.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    About a 1k seems right. It's a lovely looking bike and very distinct as it's different from, cubes, treks, giants etc. Plus you are very lucky to get anything at the moment. I'd buy it no problem if I were in the same situation.
    Thats reassuring, thanks. The only downside is the frame is a Large rather than a Medium, although it measured under 55cm length so its not so bad I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Thats reassuring, thanks. The only downside is the frame is a Large rather than a Medium, although it measured under 55cm length so its not so bad I guess.

You can get a shorter stem, move the seat as forward as much as possible etc. There are ways around it.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    You can get a shorter stem, move the seat as forward as much as possible etc. There are ways around it.
    Yeah the lads in there said they would sort out a shorter stem and move the seat down a notch, hopefully will be grand.

• Advertisement

Yeah the lads in there said they would sort out a shorter stem and move the seat down a notch, hopefully will be grand.

Sounds like a good shop to buy a bike from.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I just came across that bike in rocasports.ie if you are interested still

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

lochdara wrote: »
    I just came across that bike in rocasports.ie if you are interested still
    It works out a little more expensive there unfortunately.

Though I may be tempted if they have an M frame as I feel the L may be a little too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

It works out a little more expensive there unfortunately.

Though I may be tempted if they have an M frame as I feel the L may be a little too big.

You can do a deal maybe.. Better spend the money on the correct bike than buy one that will just do and waist time and money on mods. Worth a phone call. I just spotted it when I realised they do the brand of shoe I am interested jn. Good Luck.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

Advertisement