Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insure Cryto

Options
  • 20-05-2021 3:40pm

Are there any companies offering insurance against loss of crypto held in a coinbase account due to hacking / misc IT issues?

(I'm aware of hardware wallets).

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I would hope not, be open to awful abuse and they'd likely go out of business.

I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

whatnow! wrote: »
    Are there any companies offering insurance against loss of crypto held in a coinbase account due to hacking / misc IT issues?

(I'm aware of hardware wallets).

I don’t think you can get such insurance as an individual. I think the answer is no but genuine question: besides the public 100k guarantee scheme, is there such thing as private insurance to cover your bank going into trouble and being unable to return the money deposited to your account? (which is more or less the same situation).

Having said that some crypto platforms has secured their own insurance policy (I know crypto.com is one of them) or are building crowd funded insurance funds (not available yet, but Celsius is working on it - basically you would forgo part of the interests you receive in exchange for being a beneficiary of the fund in case something happens). I am sure there are a lot of fine prints though (as with any insurance) so it shouldn’t be seen as a silver bullet.

Advertisement