Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not Guilty by reason of Insanity READ OP FIRST

• 20-05-2021 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭

Deirdre Morley has been found not guilty by reason of insanity

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0520/1222776-deirdre-morley-court/

Mod

Far too much whataboutery and strawmanning taking place in this thread. Please cut it out and discuss the topic at hand.

Also far too much uncivil discussion here as well. Express your feelings and opinions on the topic by all means, but keep it civil. I have and will continue to card anyone wishing harm to other people in this thread.

Finally, please remember that a) everyone involved in this case (including her husband) has accepted her insanity in this case and b) family and friends who have suffered a terrible tragedy could conceivably be reading your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's not much that can be said about this entire case.

I read the details of it the other night, and it affected me a lot. So sad.
    Innocent lives taken by someone they trusted the most in the world.

Her and her husband now have to try to live their lives, irrespective of the verdict.

May they rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Deirdre Morley has been found not guilty by reason of insanity

Look after your mental health and please tell someone you trust if you feel bad.

My dad tried to strangle me when I was a kid, his cousin tried to kill all his kids with a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I definitely do not agree with this verdict. She should have been found guilty.

Why?
    In your expert opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

That doesn't mean she'll be released, just that she'll be in Dundrum/Portrane for the rest of her life.

It does not mean she will spend the rest of her life locked up. Once she is deemed medically fit to return to society she will be allowed out of hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Given that the experts from both sides agreed, this was the likely verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Good job you weren't on the jury or any jury for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

That doesn't mean she'll be released, just that she'll be in Dundrum/Portrane for the rest of her life.

I doubt it.

I remember when it happened having a great deal of sympathy for her, probably as i knew of someone who's partner was having a lot of difficulty with her own infant son. As time has moved on, maybe i've become more cynical/jaded.

It's her husband who my sympathy is reserved for

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why?
    In your expert opinion?

She has committed three murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Three psychiatrists for the defence and prosecution disagree with you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

She did a terrible thing and I hope she dies a terrible death.

Look after your mental health and please tell someone you trust if you feel bad.

My dad tried to strangle me when I was a kid, his cousin tried to kill all his kids with a knife.

That is terrible, hope you can live with that ok... Or as well as one can expect.

Such a horrible thing for you to have gone through and the other family too.....

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I don’t care

She has committed three murders.

But she has been deemed by the court to have been insane at the time.
    So why do you think that the experts, the jury and the court is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

At least Ireland is slowly starting to understand the seriousness of mental illness. Heartened to see no character assassinations in the papers this time. Alan Hawe was found to be severely mentally ill by leading psychiatrist Dr. Kennedy but that didn't stop some disgraceful articles being written. People on here were determined to reject his opinion because "evil." We need to try to understand why these types of crimes keep happening.

We need better mental health supports in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I don’t care

Says keyboard warrior legal "expert ".

bubblypop wrote: »
    But she has been deemed by the court to have been insane at the time.
    So why do you think that the experts, the jury and the court is wrong?

Because he's emotional and his emotions are more important than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I do wonder what broke inside her. What triggered this horrific sequence of events.

I dont wish death upon her as others have said. I'd say her own mind will be her prison the rest of her life.

God love that father who has lost everything he ever cared for, I have such sympathy for him.

RIP to those little souls.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Another case where the murdered kids are just an output of a parent's mental health

We need a long hard discussion in this country about the rights of children not to be raised by parents whose diagnosis and care takes precedence over their own safety- be that diagnosis mental health, addiction, whatever

The way that the media/online discussed these cases when its the mother vs when its the father is also a stark contrast that needs a long hard look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This was an awful case...3 beautiful children robbed of their lives...

If the father had committed this crime, i wonder would it be the same outcome?

Awful tragedy..RIP to those 3 little kids.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Her psychiatrists also thought she was doing fine.

One comment that stuck with me yesterday was if it had been the father who had killed those children would there be the same level of sympathy or the same verdict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

NIMAN wrote: »
    There's not much that can be said about this entire case.

I read the details of it the other night, and it affected me a lot. So sad.
    Innocent lives taken by someone they trusted the most in the world.

Her and her husband now have to try to live their lives, irrespective of the verdict.

May they rest in peace.

It takes a lot to be shocked these days but I had a lump in my throat reading the details. Literally closed the laptop and sat in silence for a few minutes. These are the worst two details I thought, and I've put them in spoiler tags because they are gruesome:
    The husband coming home to what he thought was his wife who had been in a car crash, and noticing the child's legs sticking out from a play tent and then the guards finding the childs soother in the plastic bag using to strangle her

Says keyboard warrior legal "expert ".

I have not claimed to be an expert on anything. I have an opinion which I’m entitled to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

NIMAN wrote: »

May they rest in peace.

Yeah, so racked with guilt that she's still breathing gods air. Poor her.

The POS men who murder their families don't get this "poor cratur" treatement and most of them at least had to decency to top themselves as well.

**** her and the horse she rode in. She's still alive and those kids are not.

Because he's emotional and his emotions are more important than anything.

No her 3 children’s lives are the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

spookwoman wrote: »
    Her psychiatrists also thought she was doing fine.

One comment that stuck with me yesterday was if it had been the father who had killed those children would there be the same level of sympathy or the same verdict.

If the father did it he'd be a monster, that's why I've to put my feelings aside and label her a monster too

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

This is a sickening crime and the woman will have to live with it for the rest of her life... this is the only positive that will come out of this.

The father on the other hand... dear me, how does he move on with this in the back of his mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭randd1

Probably the right verdict given her extreme mental state. She should spend a very long time in psychiatric care as she's clearly a serious danger to herself and others.

That being said, if she were a man I'd have no doubt there would have been a guilty verdict.

I see this going the usual route

"The court has ruled and technically its correct and experts have said it so anyone who has an issue with it is either ignorant or a monster"

That wont help the next three kids and bear in mind before that high horse runs off with you on it that the person commenting may have very relevant experience in being raised by parents where the latter's diagnosis and treatment came before the child's wellbeing.

I have not claimed to be an expert on anything. I have an opinion which I’m entitled to hold.

Your opinion is that all the experts, the jury and the courts are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

At least Ireland is slowly starting to understand the seriousness of mental illness. Heartened to see no character assassinations in the papers this time. Alan Hawe was found to be severely mentally ill by leading psychiatrist Dr. Kennedy but that didn't stop some disgraceful articles being written. We need to try to understand why these types of crimes keep happening.

We need better mental health supports in Ireland.

There's a pretty obvious reason Hawe was vilified and this case is the opposite, and it's not that we've become more sensitive as a nation....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement