Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

• 13-05-2021 6:13pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New thread as old one is nearly at 10000 post limit.

Old thread
    Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

New thread and a new Rory 2.0

He will win at least one major in this thread

I think he will win at least 7 majors by careers end. Sir Nick has 6 so the motivation to beat that most be immense

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Could he go back to back at the PGA? I'd say its unlikely but he's suddenly a serious contender.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rory should be contending in this major at the very least . He should be strutting down that first fairway like a fashion model, full of confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

sxt wrote: »
    Rory should be contending in this major at the very least . He should be strutting down that first fairway like a fashion model, full of confidence

Hope he's feeling more confident than a fashion model!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

sxt wrote: »
    New thread and a new Rory 2.0

He will win at least one major in this thread

I think he will win at least 7 majors by careers end. Sir Nick has 6 so the motivation to beat that most be immense

Don't know about that. I think the era of one or two players dominating the game is over. There seems to be a conveyor belt of young talent coming through and it's harder than ever to win multiple majors. And Rory is one of the old men on tour these days. I don't see him winning more than one major and honestly I have doubts he'll do even that unless he can sort out his tendency to play one magnificent round one dreadful round and two average rounds in every major.

My bet is by the time this thread ends he'll still be on 4 majors but will still be firmly in the top 20 in the world.

• Advertisement

I'm going to call it now and say he'll have 6 majors and 30 odd pga titles when this thread ends.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

touts wrote: »
    Don't know about that. I think the era of one or two players dominating the game is over. There seems to be a conveyor belt of young talent coming through and it's harder than ever to win multiple majors. And Rory is one of the old men on tour these days. I don't see him winning more than one major and honestly I have doubts he'll do even that unless he can sort out his tendency to play one magnificent round one dreadful round and two average rounds in every major.

My bet is by the time this thread ends he'll still be on 4 majors but will still be firmly in the top 20 in the world.

I'll go for four more and eight by the end of the thread. Rory has just turned 32 and is in what is the historical prime for golfers. If he remains committed and has the hunger he'll win more for sure.

There are lots of good young players alright and a considerable conveyor belt of talent, but Rory's a notch above when at his best. He's just won a big tournament against a high-class field while finding his swing, there's not many players that can do that.

Think he probably needs a major this year though for confidence and hunger as it's been too long and is probably playing on his mind and affecting his confidence. He's a different animal when confident.

Anyway I hope he completes the grand slam and edges towards double figures in majors and if he doesn't I'll still enjoy watching him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hopefully he'll have an Olympic medal as well, for team ireland + 2 more majors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Hard to know how it'll pan out for him really.
    I always remember a piece I read years ago when Rory was just starting out, I think it was by Lawrence Donegan in Golf World, but could be wrong on that, where he predicted Rory would finish up with 5 majors, and gave his reasons.

Back in 2014 I would have thought 10/12 was possible, now, I think maybe he'll get to 6. He's 32 now, so if he has 5 years left at the VERY top, that's 20 majors to play, I think he could pick up at least 2 out of those. He might then sneak a final soft US Open/PGA or something when he's close to 40.

Then again Mickelson was older when he won his first and he has 5, so who knows with golf.

Hope he proves me wrong and goes on a tear and wins 4 of the next 7 or something mad like that. A generational talent IMO, but you can't help feel that last 5 years was a bit, not wasted, maybe unfulfilled, two FedEX Cups and $40m later obviously :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So was it the Indian or the Arrow? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

To win one more major where he absolutely blitzes the field, possibly the Open, but no Masters as the pressure mounts, before this thread reaches its conclusion.

Rory has confirmed he will be playing in the Olympics. Good to hear as some names have pulled out due to the Covid situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Brad Faxon described Harry Diamond as Rory's "secret sauce" there.

A little OTT possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Poor start...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Did he just put ball OB off first again at a major?

Looking at double...working and on in background in silent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gypsy79 wrote: »

Into a hazard so looking at bogey if he can make up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Not a great bunker shot but got lucky...about 6 foot for bogey...

gypsy79 wrote: »

No it was a hazard. Recovered well to make a good bogey.

Good bogie, this is a tough tough course.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Lipped out for eagle on the next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

We're only 3 holes in but he's putting well!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Very ragged stuff from him. Putter stopped saving him on last two holes. Disaster of a bogey on the par 5 2nd hole.

Looks to be playing himself out of contention once again in the first round of a major. Needs to get hitting some fairways and greens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭boardise

Early signs not promising - 2 bogey sixes tells a sad familiar story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’d liked to see a stat on his scores in first round of majors compared to others over last 5 years

Careless careless 3 putt at the fifth, his 14th hole of the day for Rors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

boardise wrote: »
    Early signs not promising - 2 bogey sixes tells a sad familiar story.

Both into the wind. First one he had 320 yards after good drive. Unlucky that his ball plugged in the waste area and koepka’s just carried it. Koepka got up and down for birdie from over 100 after two good shots on a par 5.

Careless careless 3 putt at the fifth, his 14th hole of the day for Rors.

That’s the big mistake of the day. Probably forcing it a bit but the pace of the first putt was bad. You’re asking for trouble hitting it 6 feet past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Trampas wrote: »
    I’d liked to see a stat on his scores in first round of majors compared to others over last 5 years

Prior to this years Masters, he is 28 over for first round in majors since 2015.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/rory-mcilroy-majors-stat-continues-masters-2020/

You’ll see it later or tomorrow. Last I saw was something like +10 for thursdays and -25 for Friday to Sunday. Not sure how many majors that was over.

• Advertisement

Here are some stats on Rorys 1st rounds at the majors since 2015-2020. Throw in a +4 for 2021 masters and at least a +2 for this 2021 pga. It's a pattern that needs changing

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1327365065591451648?s=20

Advertisement