Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Championships 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

1 GM, 4 IM’s, 1 WIM, 8 FM’s, 2 CM’s, 1 WFM, 1 NM.
    29 entries.
    Looking good so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭HaraldSchmidt

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Proof of being vaccinated is not a problem. Everybody vaccinated in Ireland receives a card showing exactly what they got (including batch number) and when.

I took a photo of my mother's vaccination card. It's a piece of cardboard with a sticker on it. I could easily make a copy of it, sticking my name and date of birth on it, and nobody would know the difference.

This is why in the USA, at least, they are giving out some crytographically secure proof of vaccination. It may still be fakeable, but not by anyone at home with a printer and a supply of stationery.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

I took a photo of my mother's vaccination card. It's a piece of cardboard with a sticker on it. I could easily make a copy of it, sticking my name and date of birth on it, and nobody would know the difference.

This is why in the USA, at least, they are giving out some crytographically secure proof of vaccination. It may still be fakeable, but not by anyone at home with a printer and a supply of stationery.

Evidently you have a fundamental belief in the veniality of your opponents. Do you think they all cheat?

I reckon that something electronic and secure will be put in place by the time international travel resumes on a large scale. The certificates (or whatever they loom like) will be based on the information in the HSE records, collected by GPs and vaccination centres, and the cards in the meantime will be accepted by whoever wants proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Evidently you have a fundamental belief in the veniality of your opponents. Do you think they all cheat?
    Evidently you have a fundamental naivety about the honesty of your opponents. Do you think none of them cheat? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

mikhail wrote: »
    Evidently you have a fundamental naivety about the honesty of your opponents. Do you think none of them cheat? :pac:

I would guess blunder checking your moves would be nigh on undetectable in online chess, you play your own moves but simply blunder check them before playing. I would guess that's the approach used by many of the undetected cheaters that are out there? thoughts?

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    I would guess blunder checking your moves would be nigh on undetectable in online chess, you play your own moves but simply blunder check them before playing. I would guess that's the approach used by many of the undetected cheaters that are out there? thoughts?
    I was just teasing Rookspawn for his confrontational post, and this is a bit off topic, but to answer your question I don't think it'd be undetectable. It probably depends on your propensity to blunder and centipawn loss threshold for changing your move. The higher the former and the lower the latter, the more your average centipawn loss will be statistically strange. I've played through a few games flagged publicly as engine-assisted, and they don't look that strange. I can't imagine how much higher my rating would be if I never made a move that lost more than, say, 0.5 pawns, but you're probably talking hundreds of points. That'll get spotted. Spotted slower than just copying the engine, sure, but it's not invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

mikhail wrote: »
    I was just teasing Rookspawn for his confrontational post, and this is a bit off topic, but to answer your question I don't think it'd be undetectable. It probably depends on your propensity to blunder and centipawn loss threshold for changing your move. The higher the former and the lower the latter, the more your average centipawn loss will be statistically strange. I've played through a few games flagged publicly as engine-assisted, and they don't look that strange. I can't imagine how much higher my rating would be if I never made a move that lost more than, say, 0.5 pawns, but you're probably talking hundreds of points. That'll get spotted. Spotted slower than just copying the engine, sure, but it's not invisible.

It would only prevent you blundering tactics I would guess, and one move blunders, but if you keep playing your own candidate moves with that sort of sanity check, I am not sure how detectable it would be, you would still lose your fair share of games, but it would defo prevent 1-2 move blunders that would otherwise cost you a game.

I think blatant cheating is obvious, as is taking far too long for simple captures and obvious responses etc. when validating obvious moves with an engine, but if done in a minor way it would likely would be hard to detect especially in longer format games.

The amount of obvious cheating on chess.com verges on the ridiculous, Eric Hansen played at least 2 blatant cheaters in Arena Kings last week, New accounts at IM / GM Elo's and you can see how their play deteriorates from a high level to 1200 level as time runs low, and engine validation becomes impossible due to the time it takes.

Rank ICU Irish Championship 2021 FIDE
    1 2439 Sam E. Collins IM 2456
    2 2369 Alex Baburin GM 2416
    3 2419 Conor E. Murphy FM 2394
    4 2307 Mark Quinn IM 2370
    5 2296 Tarun Kanyamarala FM 2369
    6 2282 Mark Heidenfeld IM 2360
    7 2311 Conor O'Donnell FM 2331
    8 2343 David Fitzsimons IM 2324
    9 2280 Stephen Brady FM 2292
    10 2261 Colm Daly FM 2285
    11 2288 Joe Ryan FM 2271
    12 2046 Anthony Doyle 2206
    13 2158 John Delaney FM 2191
    14 2178 Trisha Kanyamarala WIM 2180
    15 2148 Shane Melaugh CM 2161
    16 2124 Jonathan O'Connor 2153
    17 2131 Daire McMahon FM 2115
    18 2035 Peter Carroll CM 2059
    19 2032 Kavin Venkatesan 2011
    20 2009 John McMorrow 1997
    21 1938 Gerard MacElligott CM 1966
    22 1914 Peter Cafolla 1958
    23 1960 Jonathon Peoples 1953
    24 1858 Eamon Keogh NM 1944
    25 1880 Diana Mirza WFM 1933
    26 1824 Colm Quigley 1924
    27 1763 John P. Aherne 1903
    28 1966 Adam Collins 1887
    29 1805 Conor Nolan 1884
    30 1818 Kevin O'Flaherty 1884

I count ten former champions entered in this years event. Most probably a record!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

I count ten former champions entered in this years event. Most probably a record!

As the great man himself said...

• Advertisement

Champions in bold.

Collins, Sam E. IM 2456
    Baburin, Alexander GM 2416
    Murphy, Conor E FM 2394
    Quinn, Mark IM 2370
    Kanyamarala, Tarun FM 2369
    Heidenfeld, Mark IM 2360
    O`Donnell, Conor FM 2331
    Fitzsimons, David IM 2324
    Brady, Stephen FM 2292
    Daly, Colm FM 2285
    Ryan, Joseph FM 2271
    Doyle, Anthony 2206
    Delaney, John FM 2191

Kanyamarala, Trisha WIM 2180
    Melaugh, Shane CM 2161
    O'Connor, Jonathan 2153
    McMahon, Daire FM 2115
    Carroll, Peter CM 2059
    Venkatesan, Kavin 2011
    McMorrow, John 1997
    MacElligott, Gerard CM 1966
    Cafolla, Peter 1958
    Peoples, Jonathon 1953
    Keogh, Eamon 1944
    Mirza, Diana WFM 1933
    Lyons, Brendan 1931
    Quigley,Colm 1924
    Aherne, John P. 1903
    Nolan, Conor 1884
    Kevin O'Flaherty 1884
    Adam Collins 1887

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Inquitus wrote: »
    I think that anyone who cheats online has serious character defects and possible mental problems and should seek professional help immediately. What possible motive can any sane person have for cheating online?

If everyone listed actually plays it will be a fantastic tournament. Sadly we are all too used to seeing entry lists full of esteemed players then a quarter of them withdraw days before the tournament starts.

We have already reached the entry total of last year.
    There are now 32 entries :-)

40 entries as of this morning (10 champions in bold). Not expecting too many more, maybe 10-12. Entries now open for the two weekenders.

Collins, Sam E. IM 2456
    Baburin, Alexander GM 2416
    Murphy, Conor E FM 2394

Quinn, Mark IM 2370
    Kanyamarala, Tarun FM 2369
    Heidenfeld, Mark IM 2360
    O`Donnell, Conor FM 2331
    Fitzsimons, David IM 2324
    Delaney, Killian FM 2300
    Brady, Stephen FM 2292
    Daly, Colm FM 2285
    Ryan, Joseph FM 2271
    Doyle, Anthony 2206
    Delaney, John FM 2191

Kanyamarala, Trisha WIM 2180
    Melaugh, Shane CM 2161
    O'Connor, Jonathan 2153
    McMahon, Daire FM 2115
    Carroll, Peter CM 2059
    Venkatesan, Kavin 2011
    McMorrow, John 1997
    MacElligott, Gerard CM 1966
    Cafolla, Peter 1958
    Peoples, Jonathon 1953
    Casey, Eoghan 1952
    Duffy, Seamus 1945
    Keogh, Eamon 1944
    Tirziman, Rudolf 1941
    Mirza, Diana WFM 1933
    Lyons, Brendan 1931
    Putar, Lara 1930
    Quigley, Colm 1924
    Putar, Leon 1918
    O'Gorman, Alice 1907
    Scott, Luke 1906
    Aherne, John P. 1903
    Collins, Adam 1887
    Nolan, Conor 1884
    O'Flaherty, Kevin 1884
    Moran, Darragh 1859

We certainly have a field worthy of a 100th Irish Championship only Lopez, Jessl, Li and defending champ O'Gorman missing but still plenty of time for them to enter.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    We certainly have a field worthy of a 100th Irish Championship only Lopez, Jessl, Li and defending champ O'Gorman missing but still plenty of time for them to enter.

I have their odds of playing at something like:
    Lopez - 25-50%, Jessel - 0-10%, Li - 25-50%, O'Gorman - 50-75%.

Of the unentered, I have 7 probable, 14 maybe, 10 unlikely (then 120 odd that are eligible but presumably won't play)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Of the unentered, I have 7 probable, 14 maybe, 10 unlikely (then 120 odd that are eligible but presumably won't play)
    Does this mean there's around 200 players eligible? 40 entered, 30 hopefuls, and 120 others? That's mad. I presume the "others" includes lapsed players, etc? I didn't think it was that high at all.

Edit - actually, to answer my own question, the FIDE rating list for Ireland - including inactive players - has Richard O'Donovan in 100th with a rating of 2052. So I could well see there being another 100 players down to 1900.

The Nov 2019 ICU rating list had 1386 players, and was the biggest in recent times. 124th was the 1900 cut-off. So I guess the difference is inactive players, foreign IRL players who've returned home, and 1900 FIDE being lower than 1900 ICU.

cdeb wrote: »
    Does this mean there's around 200 players eligible? 40 entered, 30 hopefuls, and 120 others? That's mad. I presume the "others" includes lapsed players, etc? I didn't think it was that high at all.

Edit - actually, to answer my own question, the FIDE rating list for Ireland - including inactive players - has Richard O'Donovan in 100th with a rating of 2052. So I could well see there being another 100 players down to 1900.

The Nov 2019 ICU rating list had 1386 players, and was the biggest in recent times. 124th was the 1900 cut-off. So I guess the difference is inactive players, foreign IRL players who've returned home, and 1900 FIDE being lower than 1900 ICU.

my list is very rough but yes, about 225 eligible. The pool of players who would/could realistically play is maybe 100-110.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

...The FIDE rating list for Ireland - including inactive players - has Richard O'Donovan in 100th with a rating of 2052.

It's unfortunate that 15th on that list is the late Philip Short.

• Advertisement

my list is very rough but yes, about 225 eligible. The pool of players who would/could realistically play is maybe 100-110.
    Entries for the tipping competition also look like being way up on previous years. A panel of actuaries, scientists, solicitors and analysts are currently working on the format for this year's competition and details will be announced in good time for tipsters to sharpen up their prediction skills and do whatever training is necessary for the event.
    The fantasy football league that we have this year has been good fun, despite my very unlucky performance, would it be on to do something similar for the tipping competition? We could all pay 5 or 10 euro through the ICU and the money could be divided among the top tipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

I started learning Chess last year during first lockdown and would be interested in entering the first weekender. Have done all learning online so would like to try OTB.

How do these normally work, what time limit are matches and how many would you expect to play?

Thanks in advance

There's a thread here with some advice on playing your first tournament. I'd say if you have a read through that, you'll get a good grounding of it, and it might also lead to some specific questions which you can post away then.

For the upcoming weekenders, they look like six-rounders, with time control probably something like 75 + 15 (that is, 75 minutes on each clock at the start, and 15 seconds extra added per move)

I wonder what is the maximum limit on entries to the championship and are we near that limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dave grant

We think the cap on the number of players will be 48, it's looking like it will be a strong competition and the games will be one to remember. Lets hope all goes well and the players enjoy their games.

Looks like there are now only 4 places left to be filled in the Irish Championship.
    A great turnout in difficult times - or any times :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Any plans on the use of masks this year? I'd imagine with all improving and the tournament in August there will be a chance to play without masks?

I'd guess the masks aren't going anywhere soon as I'd guess they'll be the last precaution to go. I could live with having to wear a mask at the board, but the screens and the two-board approach are off-putting. I'm keen to return to over-the-board play, but not like that.

I think the screen was probably the bit that drew least comments last year?

Are you sure you're not overthinking it? Especially given you've not even played with a screen before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

I think the screen was probably the bit that drew least comments last year?

Are you sure you're not overthinking it? Especially given you've not even played with a screen before

I am seeing tournaments now going on (e.g. Womens Grand Prix) with no masks, no screen, and players shaking hands.

I put this out there as a possibility - what about keeping the screen and ditching the masks?

I am saying this but I really dont think screens will be required this year, however I get it can be an added safety net.

edit - @cdeb I know you were on about the other poster there who was saying masks will stay.

Advertisement