Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finder's fee

Options
  • 20-05-2021 5:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of a silly question this. Not even sure of the correct term.

I've been on the look-out for a new-to-me car for the past year and half. A relative works in a garage and has been keeping an eye out for something decent. I've also been sending them links to cars I'd see for sale for their feed-back.

Anyway, they've found me a really nice car - a low mileage diesel with FSH.

What would be the appropriate gift to thank them for looking out for me? I know I can't go wrong with cash but what to give.

Thanks for any response.

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Gift voucher for a nice restaurant in the area.

They will be opening back up soon and people have not eaten out in some time.

It also supports a local business that have had a rough year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Depends on whether you want them to help you again in future or might need their help with car servicing etc. If you think you will, be generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Tzardine wrote: »
    Gift voucher for a nice restaurant in the area.

They will be opening back up soon and people have not eaten out in some time.

It also supports a local business that have had a rough year.

Close the thread. That's a perfect suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Depending on the value of the car , and if you have the money somewhere between 1-5% of the vehicle cost would be very nice, chances are they are waiving their own commission and availing of staff prices.

It's always nice to help friends/family out in the way this person has helped you, if they feel appreciated they are more than likely willing to help with anything else in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Thanks all for the responses.

Yes - this garage have been very helpful in the past and, no doubt, the future.

Really like the idea of a voucher for restaurant - I think we have a winner.

Thanks again,

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

If they're buying the car for you, then give them what you think the car is worth.
    If they get a discount from the buyer they keep the rest.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    If they're buying the car for you, then give them what you think the car is worth.
    If they get a discount from the buyer they keep the rest.

It's a trade-in coming into garage and I'm getting first refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Main thing is, give him something to acknowledge his input. - even a twinpack of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

How much is the car worth?

kirving wrote: »
    How much is the car worth?

€16k

I'm going to go with vouchers for couple of restaurants (share the love) and a couple of bottles of wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, for that kind of money, I'd be thinking a few hundred anyway.

You want them on your side should the car need anything in future, ot you go shopping again in a few years.

Advertisement