Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT long expiry

• 14-05-2021 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I have modern classic who's NCT expired in December 2019. Normally I would tax it for the summer months and last year I just chanced it away without NCT since the NCT centres were closed due to the pandemic and put up less than 1,000 miles anyway, the car has a punitive high crazy CC based motortax so I only tax it for 3 months per year during summer. Last year I did May to end of July but this year I am planning June, July and August.

The car needs some work and I want to get it tested but have no idea what will happen, would I get a full 12 month test from example today 14/05/2021 to 14/05/2022 or would it only run to the anniversary of first registration which is in December?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Thats where the NCT system is flawed - The NCT will only run until Dec 2021 if you get her tested now. I wonder if the 4 month covid extension applies in this case - Worth finding out. It might only have been applied to cars with an NCT in force at the time the lockdown was initially called.

The system of MOT in the UK and NI is far better as you get a year from the date of the test itself regardless.

I am weighing up a 07 S320 diesel Merc which has been laid up for the last 4 years. The only reason its like this is the tax which is around €500 for 3 months. The car needs nothing apart from TLC. I dont need it, cant afford to run it and wont use it. Thats 3 very good reasons to buy it ............!

There is a danger zone for cars in this country between 15 and 30 years where cull rates are massive and perfectly good cars are getting thrown away to make way for the latest PCP financed Romanian or East Asia built box of misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Thats where the NCT system is flawed - The NCT will only run until Dec 2021 if you get her tested now. I wonder if the 4 month covid extension applies in this case - Worth finding out. It might only have been applied to cars with an NCT in force at the time the lockdown was initially called.

The system of MOT in the UK and NI is far better as you get a year from the date of the test itself regardless.

I am weighing up a 07 S320 diesel Merc which has been laid up for the last 4 years. The only reason its like this is the tax which is around €500 for 3 months. The car needs nothing apart from TLC. I dont need it, cant afford to run it and wont use it. Thats 3 very good reasons to buy it ............!

There is a danger zone for cars in this country between 15 and 30 years where cull rates are massive and perfectly good cars are getting thrown away to make way for the latest PCP financed Romanian or East Asia built box of misery.

You might see it as a flaw,that the NCT isn't valid for a year from test date,but we are dealing with Irish people who would 100% never get a test done until stopped by a Guard(or the corresponding maintenance!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yarisbob wrote: »

It would be a flaw except that it's designed so that there is no benefit in not doing the the NCT on time and driving an unroadworthy car. It runs from anniversary to anniversary unless you submit it for voluntary early testing, which needs the car to have a valid NCT, and then it runs annually from the new date. You can get 1 or 2 years NCT for any date once it passes >90 days from the due date.

If the car is tested now the next NCT is due 1 or 2 years from the extended NCT date.

Insurance, tax and mainly reg plate snobbery is what's killing old cars in this country not the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

I have a 2006 Alfa that SORN and tax at various times during the year. I always NCT it on time so it gives me flexibility of using it. Plus it gives me a chance to drive to and from NCT when not taxed! It's also a good way to see what mileage you add to it. March 19 to March 20 I only put 250 Km on it. Over 5K this year.

Advertisement