Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold car on DoneDeal, buyer back to me

• 19-05-2021 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sold a car on DoneDeal (a cheap runabout my family had owned, very reliable little car, old but mechanically sound and a reliable make). Anyhow I did run through it’s NCT last week (it failed) and I told the buyer this before coming to visit - he says he was still interested. Came to see the car, went for a test drive etc. Agreed a price- even offered if he’d like to think about it or get it checked further. He proceeds to take it off my hands, cash.
    Anyhow, fast forward and I have missed calls from the buyer. Then a big long text how about how I hadn’t disclosed all the faults with the car and that he’d like a refund, money off, or full exchange!! Also something about hoping to come to terms without any “legal actions”. Now at this stage i have blocked him.
    I plan to just ignore all/any correspondence (I sent off change of ownership) and as I stand the car is his- his responsibility once he drove away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

My understanding is unless you intentionally misled the buyer then you can just ignore him. If it failed the NCT and you told the buyer this it's hard to know how he'd demonstrate you misled him. Just forget about it imo, block and ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If I was selling a car privately I would honestly buy a phone SIM with number just for that and then dump it when the car was sold.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

If I was selling a car privately I would honestly buy a phone SIM with number just for that and then dump it when the car was sold.

Yes agreed I should have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

Lol, he bought a car knowing it had failed the Nct and presumably you gave him the fail sheet? So he knew what was wrong.

It's his car now, so just block him and completely ignore him. Private sale, sold as seen, caveat emptor etc etc.

And yes, this. Just buy a sim you can chuck in a drawer afterwards. Never use your personal number you use all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭almostover

A sale between 2 private individuals. It's a case of Caveat Emptor on this one, buyer beware. Just ignore him. You've done nothing wrong and he has no legal recourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Read this thread (for the most part the first few pages):

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058186593

The answer will be the same.

The post Covid lockdown nutters are out in force now buying cars and think they can just get their money back like they are returning a pair of jeans to Pennys.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Read this thread (for the most part the first few pages):

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058186593

The answer will be the same.

The post Covid lockdown nutters are out in force now buying cars and think they can just get their money back like they are returning a pair of jeans to Pennys.

Yes it’s bizarre- but I’m not that surprised- if I was him I wouldn’t have bought the car without a mechanical inspection (there’s nothing majorly “wrong” with it) - he failed to do that thoroughly and now has buyers regret.
    There was a slight leak in the boot too (a known fault with them) which I didn’t point out but they again didn’t even look in the boot so it didn’t arise (their choice not to).

I did have a natural urge to reply but feel that would only make things worse by engaging and indulging this?

The best course of action is no action.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I did have a natural urge to reply but feel that would only make things worse by engaging and indulging this?

Block the number, don't bother with talking back and forth, leave them off.

• Advertisement

This was a sub €1000 runabout- the car is honestly a great little runner NCT aside which I’m sure can be solved.
    Solicitor letters (lol) would probably either pay the repairs or a huge chunk of that cars value?

Block the number, don't bother with talking back and forth, leave them off.

Yes I think you are right- I’ve done that. And the change of ownership I looked after

There will be no solicitors letter because no solicitor will waste their time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The buyer has zero comeback. Even if you lied about the history, the engine size, the top speed etc (which you didn't) - it's a private sale. The onus is on the buyer to satisfy themselves that the vehicle is what they want.

This is the reason that a lot of people won't pay big money in a private sale.

KaneToad wrote: »
    The buyer has zero comeback. Even if you lied about the history, the engine size, the top speed etc (which you didn't) - it's a private sale. The onus is on the buyer to satisfy themselves that the vehicle is what they want.

This is the reason that a lot of people won't pay big money in a private sale.

Thank you- that’s what I understand too- he was given every opp to check the car and the onus is on him/mechanic of his choosing to fully inspect and satisfy himself. This car is sub €1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

its a bit suspect that this is the second, nearly, mirror incident is as many days posted here - where's the scam???! Swap parts or engine?

IRE60 wrote: »
    its a bit suspect that this is the second, nearly, mirror incident is as many days posted here - where's the scam???! Swap parts or engine?

Honestly this is bona fide- I’d actually been reading the other thread and smiling to myself wondering would the same thing happen me as the girl with the VW!! Next thing I get phone calls and a text......
    Lot more money involved there and much more expensive car- I don’t think anyone would be bothered with any elaborate swaps or scams on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wouldn't your home address be on the log book?

Oh another gem from the text is that he very much overpaid for the car and needs to renegotiate the price in light of the above :)

Text him once to tell him to give reality a try, and that you won’t be answering him any further.

Gob****es like that are why I’ll destroy something, up to a point, rather than sell it on one of those sites.

• Advertisement

Text him once to tell him to give reality a try, and that you won’t be answering him any further.

I wanted to do that it’s my natural instinct but fear Id only be poking a hornets nest and make things worse. It is the reality though

Gob****es like that are why I’ll destroy something, up to a point, rather than sell it on one of those sites.

Family member had bought a newer car and we just wanted shut of it without spending a bloody fortune on it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't message him at all and don't answer the phone if they call.
    Keep any texts they send you.
    Other than that, just ignore them and they'll soon go away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Honestly this is bona fide- I’d actually been reading the other thread and smiling to myself wondering would the same thing happen me as the girl with the VW!! Next thing I get phone calls and a text......
    Lot more money involved there and much more expensive car- I don’t think anyone would be bothered with any elaborate swaps or scams on it!

@Rrrrrr2 Let me state categorically that I believe you 100%. But its uncanny that you are the second seller with the new buyer demanding money back in a matter of days - I was just wondering where's the angle?

IRE60 wrote: »
    @Rrrrrr2 Let me state categorically that I believe you 100%. But its uncanny that you are the second seller with the new buyer demanding money back in a matter of days - I was just wondering where's the angle?

I think it’s as Bazz26 says- lockdown is over and these loopers are out buying cars again!!
    Maybe there’s a shortage of cheap, decent cars out there too. I reckon in my case it’s buyers regret (i told him the car had failed the NCT) and they didn’t investigate the leak in the boot and they’ve probably seen that now too. But they were completely free to fully investigate the car as they’d wished it was there in front of them. It was a sub €1k car and running fine, we’ve had it for years and was so reliable to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭blackvalley

And another one. Luckily there was a strong stench of a long tailed grey rodent off it :mad:
    Have a little clean run around for sale. Had a text asking my best price. I replied with info .
    Got long email saying he wanted the car at that price unfortunately he was working on a North sea oil rig and so would get courier to collect car . Wanted my paypal account details to transfer money and could only pay by this method.
    Car was actually for his son who had just graduated from university of Nottingham ( and he was very proud of him ) :rolleyes:
    Was actually going to engage with him and mess him about but just decided to ignore.
    Wonder what the actual scam is .

And another one. Luckily there was a strong stench of a long tailed grey rodent off it :mad:
    Have a little clean run around for sale. Had a text asking my best price. I replied with info .
    Got long email saying he wanted the car at that price unfortunately he was working on a North sea oil rig and so would get courier to collect car . Wanted my paypal account details to transfer money and could only pay by this method.
    Car was actually for his son who had just graduated from university of Nottingham ( and he was very proud of him ) :rolleyes:
    Was actually going to engage with him and mess him about but just decided to ignore.
    Wonder what the actual scam is .

Think that one is well worn- they’ll supposedly transfer the money to you first, buyer “overpays” and you'll refund them the difference
    https://www.confused.com/sell-my-car/guides/avoiding-online-car-selling-scams

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

sub a thousand euro

FFS

anything at that money is a complete dice roll and most would not do anything but shrug their shoulders if it didnt work out

ignore the fool

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    sub a thousand euro

FFS

anything at that money is a complete dice roll and most would not do anything but shrug their shoulders if it didnt work out

ignore the fool

My opinion is that it’s up to the buyer to inspect the car fully and be happy before they hand over their cash. Not the other way round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What only bothers me is if someone knowingly sells on something bad...

Sure everything is a gamble when it comes to cars and to be honest a good long run is definitely needed but most wouldn't agree to such....

If they're given every opportunity to check and as the op even stated it failed the test on whatever then the new buyer knew damn well what they were getting.

Advertisement