Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giro D'Italia Stage 11: Perugia to Montalcino (162km)

Options
  • 19-05-2021 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭

A potential corker of a stage today, with 35.2km of dust/gravel roads in the last 70km!

A similar stage in 2010 was won by Cadel Evans in some pretty iconic scenes, with the rain making that a hellish affair. That stage however featured less than half of the amount included in today's stage. It should be great to watch even without rain, with rain we could see some big gaps opening up.

Add to the above a nice spiky elevation profile in the second half and the differing reactions after a rest day and who knows what's going to happen!

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-11-map-a1453acf16.png

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-11-profile-n2-a5e6e126e1.jpg

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-11-climb-ca202d551e.jpg

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-11-climb-n2-b52d2df67c.jpg

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-11-finish-b3f020c0f0.png

Odds from Bet365
    Egan Bernal 4/1
    Remco Evenepoel 8/1
    Alberto Bettiol 10/1
    Quinten Hermans 16/1
    Davide Formolo 16/1
    Guilio Ciccone 16/1
    Diego Ulissi 16/1
    Dan Martin 22/1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bardet as my outside pick, he was positively salivating about this stage during an interview yesterday.
    Came 2nd in Strade Bianche a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

And on the flipside Yates was cursing the inclusion of this stage...

2010 race, skip to about an hour in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

retalivity wrote: »
    Bardet as my outside pick, he was positively salivating about this stage during an interview yesterday.
    Came 2nd in Strade Bianche a few years back.

Not a bad call. 25/1 with some bookies. Stage wins are all he's got going for him these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I'd be concerned for Dan M today. I think Ineos and QuickStep are going to drive hard into the first sector to keep Bernal and Evenepoel upfront and then "cork the bottle" which will make it difficult for others to move up in the bunch. Dan would probably need to be top 10-20 heading onto the sector and I'm not sure ISN have sufficiently pointy elbows to achieve this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'd be concerned for Dan M today. I think Ineos and QuickStep are going to drive hard into the first sector to keep Bernal and Evenepoel upfront and then "cork the bottle" which will make it difficult for others to move up in the bunch. Dan would probably need to be top 10-20 heading onto the sector and I'm not sure ISN have sufficiently pointy elbows to achieve this.

Will be intriguing to see how this all plays out for sure...

(guaranteed to be a massive let down of a stage now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

2010 race, skip to about an hour in :D

The wife would have her work cut out cleaning the gear after that :D:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Paddigol wrote: »
    Will be intriguing to see how this all plays out for sure...

(guaranteed to be a massive let down of a stage now!)

Was just going to say after all the hype for this one hopefully it lives up to it. I'll go for Dan out of hope more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I hope its a GC battle fro the stage ...I htink it will be

Sagan saying its too steep for him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I am worried about Dan since his bike handling skills wouldn't be renowned for being brilliant. Also typically his positioning within the peloton is also not great.

• Advertisement

De Marchi and co will need to stay with Dan today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

First fines of the day for urinating in front of a bit of a crowd :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

could be a boring enough stage now with the break out to almost 11mins. Maybe Evenpol might try get some time on the rough ground. Hard to know

De Bhál wrote: »
    could be a boring enough stage now with the break out to almost 11mins. Maybe Evenpol might try get some time on the rough ground. Hard to know

I still think Bernal/Ineos will do their best to distance GC rivals. Bernal looked great on the gravel the other day and in Strade Bianche earlier this year

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What would be the approx finish time (Irish) today for the GC contenders?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

30km from the first gravel section.

odyssey06 wrote: »

at the pace they are going I'd say you'd be safe tuning in around 15:30 to catch the end.

odyssey06 wrote: »

According to the road book, it will be between 4-4.30pm Irish time. Given that the average speed is quite slow so far, it's probably close to 4.30pm.

So who is going to win the stage? Because it almost certainly seems like it will be from the breakaway.

Alessandro Covi (UAE Team Emirates), Simon Guglielmi (Groupama-FDJ), Lawrence Naesen (AG2R Citroën), Dries De Bondt (Alpecin-Fenix), Harm Vanhoucke, Roger Kluge (Lotto Soudal), Taco van der Hoorn (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert), Bert-Jan Lindeman, Mauro Schmid (Qhubeka Assos), Enrico Battaglin (Bardiani-CSF-Faizanè), Francesco Gavazzi (Eolo-Kometa)

There are no obvious stand out contenders.

Adam Blythe is great as a co-commentator

• Advertisement

maybe its another Taco day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

His excitement at the prospect of rain there was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Nico Roche has been very quiet this Giro. I would have expected him to be in a few breakaways by now but no sign of him. Any idea as to what his goals or aims for this Giro are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I know the accent is a bit different but his delivery keeps reminding me of Jon Richardson

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Nico Roche has been very quiet this giro. I would have expected him to be in a few breakaways by now but no sign of him. Any idea as to what his goals or aims for this Giro are?

I think as road captain for DSM he is primarily looking after Bardet and Hindley. I would have expected a couple of breakaway attempts as well but maybe not until week 3, and only if Bardet is out of the GC battle.

Nico Roche has been very quiet this giro. I would have expected him to be in a few breakaways by now but no sign of him. Any idea as to what his goals or aims for this Giro are?

Nico is Bardet's personal body guard this Giro

Isnt allowed in most breaks ..well not today anyway

Maybe in next weeks

Yeah, I've enjoyed himself and Dan Lloyd. I can just about tolerate Rob Hatch for the closing 'stages' when I haven't had to listen to him for the entire preceding 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He has a tour diary in the Independent but it's premium content so you only get a few free a month. He's mainly riding to protect Bardet while he still has GC aspirations.

Can't remember which stage over the weekend, but he was earmarked to try for breakaway but the composition didn't suit DSM so he stayed put.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Oymyakon wrote: »
    I think as road captain for DSM he is primarily looking after Bardet and Hindley. I would have expected a couple of breakaway attempts as well but maybe not until week 3, and only if Bardet is out of the GC battle.

He mentioned, I think on Sunday, that he had tried to get in the break that his teammate ended up in and came 3rd on stage.

Advertisement