Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW iX

• 17-03-2021 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure if this info was shared elsewhere on the forum already but this thing probably deserves a thread. Full details are already up on the BMW.ie website:

https://www.bmw.ie/en/all-models/bmw-i/bmw-ix/2020/Highlights.html#reserve

Some highlights from the xDrive 50 version:
    OTR €107,895
    Range greater than 600km WLTP
    200kW charging

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MJohnston wrote: »
    I’m not sure if this info was shared elsewhere on the forum already but this thing probably deserves a thread. Full details are already up on the BMW.ie website:

https://www.bmw.ie/en/all-models/bmw-i/bmw-ix/2020/Highlights.html#reserve

Some highlights from the xDrive 50 version:
    OTR €107,895
    Range greater than 600km WLTP
    200kW charging

When I was growing up there used to be a cartoon on TV with a beaver as one of the characters. The grill on that car looks exactly like that beavers teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I like it.

It may well be my next car after this 530e I just bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BMW design has been pretty poor this last decade or so. Looks like an X3. Does not look like a >€100k vehicle.

And before anyone jumps down my neck, I have had more BMWs than all my other cars put together. BMW is my favourite car make of all time. I actually miss owning one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yeah I would agree that this is the least impressive of their EV designs. The tech is interesting though. The more the merrier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

unkel wrote: »
    BMW design has been pretty poor this last decade or so. Looks like an X3. Does not look like a >€100k vehicle.

And before anyone jumps down my neck, I have had more BMWs than all my other cars put together. BMW is my favourite car make of all time. I actually miss owning one.

Infairness the x40 as starts at 80k. But cheeky advertising 11KW charging at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ted1 wrote: »
    But cheeky advertising 11KW charging at home

Could it be that the ad was aimed at the home market? Many homes in Germany have a 3ph connection, so can charge a car at 11kW or even 22kW (if the car allows)

Personally I have to go to my favourite German retailer in Ireland to get some free 22kW juice while I do my weekly shop :p

unkel wrote: »
    Could it be that the ad was aimed at the home market? Many homes in Germany have a 3ph connection, so can charge a car at 11kW or even 22kW (if the car allows)

Personally I have to go to my favourite German retailer in Ireland to get some free 22kW juice while I do my weekly shop :p

It’s on the .ie site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It’s on the .ie site.

The Irish site constantly just lifts copy from the European sites and doesn’t properly adjust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's the issue, if it can do 11kW? It's not their fault if most homes can't do it. But some can, so why advertise a lesser spec than the car can actually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I like the look of it except for the front. Those kidney grills look terrible imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

107k...eek. And thats a face only a mother could love.

JohnC. wrote: »
    What's the issue, if it can do 11kW? It's not their fault if most homes can't do it. But some can, so why advertise a lesser spec than the car can actually do?

How many homes in Ireland can charge at 11KW? It’s blatantly misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

How many homes in Ireland can charge at 11KW? It’s blatantly misleading.

It's not though. They're listing the car specs, not your home's specs. The car can charge at 11kW, can it not? If someone sells a supercar which can do 500km/h, are you going to accuse them of being misleading because the speed limit is 120?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Interesting range ...but christ it’s Uuuuugly!

BMW really have lost the war on design in the past decade or two. Chris Bangle must be laughing at this stage!

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's not though. They're listing the car specs, not your home's specs. The car can charge at 11kW, can it not? If someone sells a supercar which can do 500km/h, are you going to accuse them of being misleading because the speed limit is 120?

It’s misleading. Your analogy isn’t the same because people can Still go 500kmh.

“ minutes. At home, you can recharge your BMW iX xDrive50 using your convenient BMW Wallbox with up to 11 kW – and reach 100% battery charge in under 11 hours (BMW iX xDrive40: in under 8 hours).”

after spending over €100,000 on a car people are going to be pissed off to find out they can’t charge as claimed.

Why bother saying 11KW, why by go to he full hog and say you can home charge at 200KW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

https://www.bmw.ie/en/all-models/bmw-i/bmw-ix/2020/Highlights.html

from €85815 ...
    400+ km range on xDrive40

or 600+ km on xDrive50 (€112895)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Looks lovely. Is this the "iX5" or "iX7" equivalent?
    They really need to sort the naming conventions for EVs - there's the i3, the ix3 which made sense.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Looks lovely. Is this the "iX5" or "iX7" equivalent?
    They really need to sort the naming conventions for EVs - there's the i3, the ix3 which made sense.

It seems to be X5 size from what I can see, naming is a bit weird alright.

Have been doing some quick googling and yes it seems to be x5 sized but top of the range - like the X7 - for the "X" of evs if that makes sense.

Also no tow rating so far, would expect it could tow.

I love a good large SUV and love a good fast bimmer and this is both

v10 wrote: »
    https://www.bmw.ie/en/all-models/bmw-i/bmw-ix/2020/Highlights.html

from €85815 ...
    400+ km range on xDrive40

or 600+ km on xDrive50 (€112895)

Grants not included, so could these potentially be less or would they fall outside of the currently available grant rules ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

The grill reminds me of some type of rodent.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Grants not included, so could these potentially be less or would they fall outside of the currently available grant rules ?

€5k SEAI grant would only apply.

Only? what else is there ?

Either way, the price could be 5K less ?

There's no more VRT grant, VRT is a flat 7%.
    Even with the 5k SEAI grant, we still pay 7% VRT and 23% VAT on EVs compared to almost 0 in most other EU countries. An incremental 30% tax on that segment of car adds up quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭innrain

If you get the car in the next 40 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have to say it’s Uuuuuugly!

innrain wrote: »
    If you get the car in the next 40 days.
    Nope, the grant is available regardless

https://www.seai.ie/news-and-media/electric-vehicle-grant/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭innrain

In addition, the grant for both EVS and PHEVS will only apply to cars under €60,000.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So I see. 80k, 85k, whatever, never affordable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Only? what else is there ?

Either way, the price could be 5K less ?
    There's no more VRT grant, VRT is a flat 7%.
    Even with the 5k SEAI grant, we still pay 7% VRT and 23% VAT on EVs compared to almost 0 in most other EU countries. An incremental 30% tax on that segment of car adds up quickly!

The price is the price. No VRT relief or grant for this car.

The new rules are....
    Grant
    1 Jul 2021 reduced grant of €2500 for some PHEV's. Others get nothing if they dont meet range/emission requirements.
    €5000 for BEV's
    but only if RRP is <€60k

VRT relief
    VRT relief already gone for all hybrids and PHEVs
    BEV - Up to €5k but no relief for €50k+ cars

This car is greater than €50k and €60k, so no grant or VRT relief.

Advertisement