Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To Barrytown

• 16-05-2021 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭

There doesn't seem to be a thread for this.
    I thought it was absolutely excellent. Very nostalgic and some points made by the writer and cast about various conflicts with the director and production team which I hadn't heard about before.
    Colm Meaney was a bit dull in his presenting/narration but that's possibly because it was the one of the trilogy in which he had participated the least. He said himself that it was more a cameo appearance for him.
    I'm looking forward to the next two parts.
    Not a bad offering at all in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Yes I loved it, The Snapper next week should be better again. Loved the clips of old Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Commitments is probably the best movie by far from a neutral point of view but watching the snapper or the van as an Irish person is like watching a time capsule. The clothes, attitudes even down to the cycling obsessed kid is a real perfect snapshot of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'd say U2 are shìttin themselves. Gets me every time. Great show tonight. Looking forward to the others

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

So Alan Parker thought Glen Hansard was a @*@*z. Now there’s a surprise :).

Very enjoyable programme. I remember going to see the film it when it came out and was running continuously for 24hrs in the Carlton (I think) on O’Connell Street.

The Commitments is the best film in the Barrytown Trilogy but I think The Van is the best book.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Goodigal

I really enjoyed it too. Nostalgic feels for a very rough looking Dublin! It was a true reflection of the city at that time. The behind the scenes footage was entertaining - and revealing!
    It came out the year I started college and I saw it twice in a week cos I absolutely loved it. Colm Meaney was right - you didn't sit back and watch it, you felt like you were in it.
    Looking forward to the next instalment although The Commitments would be my favourite film of the trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Between the Paddy Power ad and this, Colm Meaney can't be doing much work during the pandemic. He is a much beloved character and I thought he did a very good job at the narration along with Roddy Doyle. Interviews with Robert Arkin and Angleine Ball were good, they didn't hold anything back. I would have liked to see more of the cast though. Especially Andrew Strong, maybe he's an even bigger prick now! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Imagine Meaney on Line of Duty as a dirty copper against Hastings Dunbar :p

I enjoy all Doyle's adaptations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Imagine Meaney on Line of Duty as a dirty copper against Hastings Dunbar :p

I enjoy all Doyle's adaptations

He played a decent villian on Under Siege and a real bollocks of a DEA agent on Con Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I remember Jim Sheridan telling me about the film when he saw me reading Hot Press as a 15/16 year old when I was on a family holiday, as was he - he'd been chatting to my mother by the pool.

Jim: Are you into music?"
    ME: Yeah
    Jim: Do you play any instruments?
    ME: a bit of guitar
    Jim: they're doing auditions for a film today and looking for musicians - you should go along. Let me know if you are interested
    ME: Okay (but thinking "yeah, right").........

Anyway, I didn't go along but I did slag him off to my dad in the changing rooms without realising that Jim was in one of the cublicles getting changed. He stepped out, looked at me and walked off.

Mortifying!

He played a decent villian on Under Siege and a real bollocks of a DEA agent on Con Air.

Was the only part of Intermission that I liked too when he was the kinda dodgy Clannad loving cop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Was the only part of Intermission that I liked too when he was the kinda dodgy Clannad loving cop

He was also very good in Kings, not necessarily a baddie but a complex character.

He was also very good in Kings, not necessarily a baddie but a complex character.

Great movie. Tried to find it recently and couldn't get it with subtitles which to my shame I need

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Did the eagle eyed amongst you spot the DART seat/fabric that Roddy Doyle was sitting on in the 2nd half of the show in the slots where he's interviewed alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I really enjoyed this first episode, although I though Robert Arkins didn't seem happy after the whole experience. I thought he played a great part in the film and along with his actual music experience, he should have done better out of it. His rendition of Treat Her Right, is one of my favourites on the soundtrack and I loved his remix of The Late Late theme in 1999. It was sad to hear of the cast breakups and fallouts, kind of took the gloss off it.

At the time the film was released, I was doing occasional work in Sweden and remember when a group of Swedish colleagues went to see it. They came to work the next day with a phrase book leaflet they had been given at the cinema to understand the Dublin references.... they still had to enquire off me what 'Ask me Boll*x' meant.

Looking forward to the other episodes...

Jimmy Rabbitte, Sr.:
    What did Evel Knievel want?

Jimmy Rabbitte:
    God sent him.

Jimmy Rabbitte, Sr.:
    What?

Jimmy Rabbitte:
    God sent him.

Jimmy Rabbitte, Sr.:
    On a f***ing Suzuki?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Some great lines in the movie that I had forgotten about! Strange that a few of the cast were missing- maybe they weren't interested in taking part. Roddie Doyle was a miserable fecker as a teacher and he doesn't seem to have changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭thesultan

Roddy seems cool I thought.. I thought Robery Arkins would have been bigger. He was brilliant in the film.. No sign of strong. What are the rest like in real life

One of the backing singers seems to have had a good career since then.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Doyle_Kennedy

One of the backing singers seems to have had a good career since then.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Doyle_Kennedy

Bronagh Gallagher is still going strong too. Saw her a few years back when so was in the original cast for the Bob Dylan musical Girl From The North Country

His banter offs with Colin Farrell's character, run ins were funny

He is a decent actor, can do both comedy and drama, maybe underrated

He was good in Hell on Wheels

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    His banter offs with Colin Farrell's character, run ins were funny

He is a decent actor, can do both comedy and drama, maybe underrated

He was good in Hell on Wheels

He doesn't get a lot of credit compared to a lot of other Irish actors out there maybe it's cause he is rarely a leading man in the Hollywood sense. His Snapper buddy Brendan Gleeson was the same but Harry Potter and the McDonagh movies got him the recognition finally

He doesn't get a lot of credit compared to a lot of other Irish actors out there maybe it's cause he is rarely a leading man in the Hollywood sense. His Snapper buddy Brendan Gleeson was the same but Harry Potter and the McDonagh movies got him the recognition finally

Some times the supporting roles can out shine the leading roles

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Did the eagle eyed amongst you spot the DART seat/fabric that Roddy Doyle was sitting on in the 2nd half of the show in the slots where he's interviewed alone?

Yes, spotted it straight away, great addition. Reminded me of the fabric used on the CIE buses at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just Watched this on the rte player as I forgot to record it and shocking the player worked which took me a second to recover from.

Anyway it was a well done show and Colm Meaney is an actor I’ve always liked. It was nice to see some of the other actors that we hadn’t heard from before. Some nice behind the scenes footage which was good. The actor who played Jimmy rabbite the manager of the band, seemed a bit less than nostalgic about the film at the end when sitting next to a window compared to the others. Also, the two bits of religion that were in the film were hardly that bad but roddy Doyle didn’t like them.

The snapper next Sunday should brilliant. While the commitments had some classic lines, the snapper tops it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this first episode, although I though Robert Arkins didn't seem happy after the whole experience. ...

I only caught parts of it but he came across a bit bitter over it all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭thesultan

Probably didn't do as well as he thought

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Typical RTÉ missed a trick by not showing the film straight afterwards. I'd forgotten quite a bit of it and the episode only served to whet my appetite to rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

Between the Paddy Power ad and this, Colm Meaney can't be doing much work during the pandemic. He is a much beloved character and I thought he did a very good job at the narration along with Roddy Doyle. Interviews with Robert Arkin and Angleine Ball were good, they didn't hold anything back. I would have liked to see more of the cast though. Especially Andrew Strong, maybe he's an even bigger prick now! :):)

What's your name? Decco,is that decco the bus conductor or top deck or bottom deck lol

Billy and the bollocks lol lol Yar a ****e drummer anyways lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Celtic mysticism :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Jimmy Rabbitte, Sr.:
    What did Evel Knievel want?

Jimmy Rabbitte:
    God sent him.

Jimmy Rabbitte, Sr.:
    What?

Jimmy Rabbitte:
    God sent him.

Jimmy Rabbitte, Sr.:
    On a f***ing Suzuki?
    Everytime I think of the Commitments, I think of this one line. Never fails to make me smile.:D

Along with:
    It's ride, Sally ride, not roid, Sally roid

Advertisement