Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opinion on window position

• 16-05-2021 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Question on Corner windows.
    Option A:Windows in line with outter edge of outter leaf so no need to turn stone work back in.
    Option B: Window in line with insulation beside outter leaf but will need to turn stonework back in to cover edge of outter leaf.
    Pic attached if above doesnt make sense.

Would like to hear peoples opinions on this taking into account the best option in terms of cold bridging etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭bemak

A - would look weird to see frame top and bottom but not on the sides. Also, Option B could be a pain in the arse if you need to replace the glazing for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

B is better thermally with the info shown. Purely in terms of window position.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

BryanF wrote: »
    B is better thermally with the info shown. Purely in terms of window position.

I think I'd prefer option B based on my limited knowledge but waiting to hear back from engineer.
    Can you ellaborate on why its better thermally?

It does mean I need to ensure the block layer leaves outer leaf block back enough from window to allow the stone to return back in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

foxirl wrote: »
    I think I'd prefer option B based on my limited knowledge but waiting to hear back from engineer.

It does mean I need to ensure the block layer leaves outer leaf block back enough from window to allow the stone to return back in.

Do you have the 1:5 or 1:10 detail you can share? Are you going for the lower psi values to improve the BER?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

foxirl wrote: »

It's better thermally because you have a thermally broken frame at insulation line, therefore separating heated/unheated space. When flush with outside at the front, a portion of the outer leaf is potentially bridging to the inside, causing thermal bridging. There may be clever ways to treat this by dry lining the reveals, but the outer leaf will be hitting the inside edge of the window frame, potentially bridging outside/inside materials also. Not a wise move I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

BryanF wrote: »
    Do you have the 1:5 or 1:10 detail you can share? Are you going for the lower psi values to improve the BER?

BryanF - I dont have any details on the corner window unfortunately. From the pint of view of construction drawings I have plans and elevations but they don’t go into the detail you are looking for.
    Just trying to figure out the best approach to the placement of the window both from a thermal bridging and aesthetic aspect. So far I think B works better and looks better but there is a bit more work involved for both block layer and stone mason based on my very limited knowledge.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the location of the corner post will be dictated by the lintel company.
    it may not simply be a case of pushing it to the outer leaf as they have to take into account twisting actions etc

Advertisement