Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,419 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »
    FAKE AF

Here is a fake one off internet see no jewel between the P.9011 and the serial number

http://www.nanawatch.cn/panerai-pam1033-44mm-blue-dial-blue-leather-strap-p9011-vsf-super-clone-p-649.html

The real P.9001 movement has a jewel there in every case I can find. Some missing brass cogs, screw placements are different and the movement looks small in the case.

https://watchbase.com/panerai/caliber/p-9010

Screenshot-2021-05-03-125628.png

The finish is very rough also with uneven striping on the movement. I dont know panerai but well enough to know they are a quality watch.

Thanks for that Fitz.
    I had made my mind to not bother with it before your post.
    The balance looks completely different too.

That said I am glad that my Spidey sense tingled, because in hand...
    It felt the part, well as much as something could feel the part when one has no experience of a real one can guess.

The backside and the finishing are what put me off but like I said, I know nothing about them.

That's a bit of cash better off in my pocket to throw at #AMC later today :pac:

It is a dangerous world out there for buyers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

banie01 wrote: »
    That's a bit of cash better off in my pocket to throw at #AMC later today :pac:
    !

Better in a fake panerai than AMC thats a dog of a stock, but I have paper hands. :eek:

Make sure to tell your friend its a dud, hopefully save the next fellow.

Better in a fake panerai than AMC thats a dog of a stock, but I have paper hands. :eek:

Make sure to tell your friend its a dud, hopefully save the next fellow.

Well he isn't my friend, rather a friend of one of one.

I'll break the news to him later today, I hope he takes it ok rather than as a price tactic, because let's be honest.
    If one wants to buy a Panerai, that's what they want not a fake Panerai at a near real price.

As for AMC, I'm nicely in profit on it and if I get in and around Friday's closing price I'll be happy to let it ride another little bit. ;)

Well he isn't my friend, rather a friend of one of one.

I'll break the news to him later today, I hope he takes it ok rather than as a price tactic, because let's be honest.
    If one wants to buy a Panerai, that's what they want not a fake Panerai at a near real price.

As for AMC, I'm nicely in profit on it and if I get in and around Friday's closing price I'll be happy to let it ride another little bit. ;)

Well I have a few AMC with a BEP of 19 USD...I will give them to you for 18 each if your interested?....FML

Well I have a few AMC with a BEP of 19 USD...I will give them to you for 18 each if your interested?....FML

Jesus! You need the squeeze Fitz!

My BEP is $9.20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Jesus! You need the squeeze Fitz!

My BEP is $9.20!

Is this some kind of code?

I'm not sure who is grooming who, but I'm worried.

Help! I need an adult here.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Is this some kind of code?

I'm not sure who is grooming who, but I'm worried.

Help! I need an adult here.

AMC is a memestock, one of those ones that some on Reddit at least are convinced will explode in price.
    Its AMC theatres, huge worldwide cinema chain.

BEP is break even point, its the price a stock needs to reach for you to get out without a loss.

I usually would not go near a meme stock, but the DD on both GME and AMC is weirdly compelling and I may well be falling victim to the madness of the crowd!

But I have a trailing stop loss and its far more fun than college at the moment :P

Spoke with "Panerai" owner and broke the news that I don't think the watch is the real McCoy.
    Had a few more movement photos and comparison shots to show him too, just to not seem cúnty about it.

It wasn't well received news, the guy says he has 6k sunk into the watch and that I'm wrong.
    Oh well.
    I'd rather be wrong than left with a paperweight.

Spoke with "Panerai" owner and broke the news that I don't think the watch is the real McCoy.
    Had a few more movement photos and comparison shots to show him too, just to not seem cúnty about it.

It wasn't well received news, the guy says he has 6k sunk into the watch and that I'm wrong.
    Oh well.
    I'd rather be wrong than left with a paperweight.

Oh dear.

I can see how that would come as a shock.

I am used my tame horologist saying 'you've not spent well and could have done better for the price if you'd talked to me', but being told something is simply not genuine would hurt.

Still, better he knows from you rather than someone who might be less diplomatic in their communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

Panerai were traditionally one of the most faked watches as they were relatively simple to fake. Not sure if that still holds true now that display case era is on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

I held AMC from about 3 months before the pandemic with a BEP of about 10. Was looking at 80 percent losses until the whole GME debacle. Got out at 16 or something. Pure luck. They basically forced me out of Nokia though because had been building that as a long term investment.

t.

You are not wrong,.I feel sorry for the fellow really, thats a lot of dosh down the drain. Panerai scares the **** out of me for that reason far to easy to fake and not a lot of experiance out there in spotting the fakes. Still a much better effort than the SubMAINer recently, but anyone who has ever played a game of spot the difference can tell his one is bogus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

893bet wrote: »
    Panerai were traditionally one of the most faked watches as they were relatively simple to fake. Not sure if that still holds true now that display case era is on us.
    Plus they aren't nearly as popular as they were a few years back, so the fakers see more coin faking Rolex and Patek. Even the "official" homages are thinner on the ground these days.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Fake clasp on this tag not 100% sure on the watch as the fakes on that model are very good

https://www.adverts.ie/23726881

The seller has an F1 strap for sale separately in their other ads, could it be genuine?

griffin100 wrote: »

Sweet mother of Christ!
    I mean it's nice he has a hobby ;)
    But FFS, he surely could have bought a gen or 3 for the money he laid out?
    Esp on the tags.

I am reminded of a Flat Earth documentary I saw once. Obviously everyone was taking the piss out of the flat earthers, but one professor made the great point that behind every flat earther is a scientist waiting to break through. They ask questions, make predictions and observations its just they come to the wrong conclusions. I am reminded of this here. Obviously somebody that loves collecting and watches but just decided to go down the rep route and got into it balls deep into this crap. Hopefully is selling to get something worthwhile.

How many times has he sold this watch? The only other things he has sold are scaldy Hugo Boss tracksuits

http://www.adverts.ie/23806430

Edit - actually the watch doesn't look fake but the situation isn't comforting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Sweet mother of Christ!
    Esp on the tags.

That’s hardly a collector as such though .I would of thought he’s someone selling sh*t for a profit as opposed to someone who has built a collection over time which just happens to be a collection of tat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sweet mother of Christ!
    Esp on the tags.

Maybe he just buys them to order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Excuse my ignorance but is the asking price for the whole collection or per watch?

Passenger wrote: »
    Is selling Reps permitted on DoneDeal?

I think selling genuine watches is not allow over there, its a cesspool.

Screenshot-2021-06-20-153144.png
    Screenshot-2021-06-20-153130.png
    Screenshot-2021-06-20-153118.png
    Screenshot-2021-06-20-153107.png

^^ That is pretty blatant, surely no one would think that's genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,917 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I find it strange that those sellers ever find buyers for their junk.

After all, I would guess that most people who will drop 9k on a watch, would be fairly knowledgeable about the subject.

No way they are going to fooled by that. Surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

NIMAN wrote: »
    I find it strange that those sellers ever find buyers for their junk.

After all, I would guess that most people who will drop 9k on a watch, would be fairly knowledgeable about the subject.

No way they are going to fooled by that. Surely?

And yet Nigerian prince scams are still floating around... you just need one bite to make massive profit.

Speaking to the postal workers who I've gotten distinctly familiar with recently - they tell me the amount of people who come in and send money via Western Union and can't be talked out of it being a scam is common enough to be a problem.

This is one area where actually China has it better - bank officials/postal workers will ring the police and let them come down to explain to senior citizens etc. that the priest in X country asking for funds to unlock $5million dollars and they will get 10% is actually a scammer...

In China though the scammers can rot in hell - one thing that was especially popular a few years ago was someone pretending to be a hospital sending you an "emergency text" saying your (single child policy remember) child is on the operating table and need funds to perform life-saving surgery - do you stop and ring the school to see if your child is okay or in the heat of the moment decide to send thousands so your child can get their life-saving operation? Thank goodness for GDPR here...

Thirdfox wrote: »
    And yet Nigerian prince scams are still floating around... you just need one bite to make massive profit.
    /QUOTE]

Thats it...you make the scam too realistic you get savy buyers, you make its ridiculous you only attract fools which is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

https://www.adverts.ie/24164825

Reported last week but moderator decided fake was ok clearly.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/24164825

Reported last week but moderator decided fake was ok clearly.

What's worse is that they seem to have multiples of them from reading the comments.

20mm and 22mm available.

Surely better to just put a nice isofrane barton or strap-habbit on it for nearly the same money?!

Advertisement