Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

That’s absolutely shocking that anyone in any delegation could have tested positive. They’re all in their own bubbles and are tested every 48 hours.
    An incident like this doesn’t inspire any confidence in the integrity of the so called measures that are supposedly in place.

quote="Homer J. Fong;117178155"]Sad news: Iceland and Poland may not get to perform live on Thursday night. Someone in each camp has tested positive for Covid and so both delegations now have to quarantine. :(

Hopefully if re-tests show the main performers are negative they can still go ahead live but they may need to use the "live on tape" version like Australia is doing. Iceland was looking very good in the rehearsals, will really suck if they can't perform live.[/quote]

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

johnire wrote: »
    That’s absolutely shocking that anyone in any delegation could have tested positive. They’re all in their own bubbles and are tested every 48 hours.
    An incident like this doesn’t inspire any confidence in the integrity of the so called measures that are supposedly in place.

quote="Homer J. Fong;117178155"]Sad news: Iceland and Poland may not get to perform live on Thursday night. Someone in each camp has tested positive for Covid and so both delegations now have to quarantine. :(

Hopefully if re-tests show the main performers are negative they can still go ahead live but they may need to use the "live on tape" version like Australia is doing. Iceland was looking very good in the rehearsals, will really suck if they can't perform live.

It's been like two positive tests amongst delegations from circa 40 countries. Everyone knew there'd be a few positives here and there, as long as there's no major outbreaks I'd say they're doing well. None of the Icelandic performers have since tested positive, and are remaining quarantined in their hotels until Wednesday morning where they'll undergo another test before being admitted to the arena.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

As for SF2..

This one isn't grabbing me anywhere as near as the first, but I think San Marino is looking and sounding fantastic, will surely be their best result to date.

I'm liking Greece a lot. Maybe some questionable colour schemes, but the song is strong enough to overcome this.

So disappointed with Moldova's staging. Maybe they wanted to be taken seriously, and yes dancing ice cream cones probably wouldn't have helped with this, but the result is pretty sterile and wooden.

Iceland looks good, but even great staging and accumulated fan support over the last year won't be enough to overcome a pretty tepid song.

Switzerland is unintentionally hilarious. From the ill-thought through choreography to the outfit that Kat Slater would've rejected for being 'too tacky'.. what were they thinking? Hopefully they'll calm things down for when it matters, but I'm not sure.

Portugal seems to be the most improved overall, looking like a qualifier now. Everyone else is more or less how I expected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

The Jury performance for SF1 took place last night. The general consensus regarding Ireland's chances are that Lesley was shaky vocally and the staging is too messy, so it is not looking good :( I'm still looking forward to seeing the performance tonight.

There were ear piece issues for Romania, Ukraine & Malta and they were each allowed to perform twice, which has apparently caused unrest among the other delegations. Particularly Malta performing again as there didn't seem to be any visible issues during Destiny's first performance.

Today marks the 25th Anniversary of our 7th Eurovision Victory when Eimear Quinn won with 'The Voice'. I can't believe it is a quarter of a century since then, I remember that night well. It was a great song, I'd love us to send a modern equivalent maybe sung as gaeilge

• Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Was aiming not to, but I inevitably caved and watched the second rehearsal videos. Here are a few thoughts on SF1:

Ireland really isn't looking great at all is it. Lesley is just about keeping up with the busy stage routine, but it's still far too much. Singing whilst running on a treadmill would be difficult for an excellent singer, for Lesley it's impossible. Maybe this will look better and come together by Tuesday, but more than likely wishful thinking on my part.

Can't believe how cheap Australia looks? Looks like it was filmed in a studio akin to the Late Late Show or something. Could they not have hired out an arena for a few hours? Will be disappointed if the juries undeservedly rate this highly out of sympathy, which I fear will most likely happen.

Cyprus looks good, but I feel like I see this exact performance more or less every year. An attractive female singing over an electro-pop beat. I think this will just about scrape top ten in the final, but equally wouldn't be surprised if it misses out.

I can't believe how many have Norway as a qualifier. Who's voting for this shíte? I don't get it.

Israel are doing a great job of selling a middling pop song. It's fun, colourful and engaging... kind of what the UK should've been aiming for this year!

I remain convinced that Ukraine are a dark horse. Probably not to win, but I think top 5 is achievable. It looked and sounded great with the stand in performer, will inevitably be even better when the lead returns.

And as for my favourite Malta, I wasn't thoroughly impressed I must say! Find it difficult to imagine it winning on that. Admittedly I've listened to the studio version so much that it'd be difficult for any live performance to match it, but feels like they're gonna have to do more. Hope it all comes together by Tuesday.

I feel Lithuania have almost been forgotten about somewhat, but is this because of better songs elsewhere or a consequence of how early in Eurovision season it was unveiled? I've a feeling it's the latter. Lithuania aren't going to win but I do think they should contend for the top 5.
    The Cyprus song is really catchy because it is such a direct lady gaga ripoff. I put a little bet on top 10 (as well as San Marino) a while back and it has a chance.
    Lithuania I love, people will vote for it...I have a bet on them and Iceland for top 5 as well.

The studio version of the Ireland song is solid and a lot better than last year's song, I always feared her vocals might be an issue...but we will keep everything crossed for qualification.

The Norway song is dreadful I agree, their national final had some better options, as did Denmark (what were they thinking with their pile of crap!)

• Advertisement

I'm keeping an open mind, but I'm already thinking Lesley has close to no chance tonight. Such a tough semi final, we'd have a great shot if it was SF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Our song is really lacking a ‘na na na na naa na, nuh nuh nuh’ that made last year song such a classic. I have a feeling we will struggle to make it through to the wknd Grande Prix tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Yeah I can't see us getting through the semi final either, our terrible run will probably continue

One thing we can be sure of tonight is Marty will say there was a GREAT reaction in the hall and he'll be utterly gobsmacked when we don't make it through.

It's a shame because it's the best entry we've sent in some time and clearly a lot of effort has been put into it.

I don't think the reaction last night was particularly negative though, in fact I saw a lot of good comments. Unfortunately we have once again been drawn in the most competitive semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,729 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Flying Fox wrote: »
    It's a shame because it's the best entry we've sent in some time and clearly a lot of effort has been put into it.

I don't think the reaction last night was particularly negative though, in fact I saw a lot of good comments. Unfortunately we have once again been drawn in the most competitive semi.

And some of the most creative staging. Seems like nearly everyone this year is using the "one singer 4 dancers" template this year.

I don't follow Eurovision much, but I do an annual modest bet, and have been gradually accumulating a sum of money on my PP account. Not my opinion about our ding, but I have a feeling we will not be in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Amik

Flying Fox wrote: »

Just 30 minutes from start and I'm so excited I've already ate half my pizza. :P

We have a few strong diaspora countries in this semi (Lithuania, Ukraine, Romania) so with a little love and a good performance I think our Lesley can make it through.

My three favourites are Romania, Belgium, and Ukraine.

Keep forgetting Pat Kenny hosted Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,483 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

tenor.gif

Looks like Duncan was a victim of a lockdown bowl cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,483 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

WE’RE BACK, BABY!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭_gir

Not feeling this duncan lawrence track

• Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Duncan Lawrence....not doing arcade :(
    The new song is catchy.... but he is 100 percent miming....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Great to have Eurovision back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

No need for the fake crowd noise....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Real The Weekend vibes from the whole lot of that!

Ah it's great to see a crowd again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Amik

afatbollix wrote: »
    No need for the fake crowd noise....

Looks like there is a fair amount of people there!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

That lady sure is tall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

God this is fantastic, what a scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,239 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The woman on the right is a giant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭sonic85

Jesus four presenters is a bit overkill. Every single one of them has an annoying voice!

Advertisement