Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold car yesterday, now buyer demand full refund

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Salim57774 wrote: »
    She messaged me yesterday saying she booked it with VW garage and she got appointment today and they inspected the car and told her the car needs new oil switch, a whole new timing chain kit and it will cost 2800€ and she is demanding me to pay 2000 toward repair or return the car for full refund otherwise she will be getting a solictor and contacting the guards
    I was told by last owner timing was done and i wrote to her that before buying it in DoneDeal and i told her to bring her own mechanic to inspect it.

Do you think it’s just the time to block her on DoneDeal ?

It's past time you blocked her!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭User1998

If this isn’t a scam I can’t believe this person actually has the audacity to demand a refund, I wonder do they genuinely think their entitled to one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

User1998 wrote: »
    Pointless argument. This will never reach court..

In this case probably not. As a general rule though, it is indefinitely better to keep quiet than to confabulate lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Salim57774 wrote: »
    She messaged me yesterday saying she booked it with VW garage and she got appointment today and they inspected the car and told her the car needs new oil switch, a whole new timing chain kit and it will cost 2800€ and she is demanding me to pay 2000 toward repair or return the car for full refund otherwise she will be getting a solictor and contacting the guards
    I was told by last owner timing was done and i wrote to her that before buying it in DoneDeal and i told her to bring her own mechanic to inspect it.

Do you think it’s just the time to block her on DoneDeal ?

Very much doubt she was able to make an appointment on a Sunday and that first thing Monday they had the car in to inspect it, that's not usually how it works...

If you really wanted you could phone the VW garage (If you have her name / address) so could probably find the vw garage in the vicinity and confirm if car with reg. number xyz has been in, but I probably wouldn't even bother. Stop worrying they are chancing their arm to try get back some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Scam = Ignore. If not scam = still ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JIdontknow wrote: »
    If you really wanted you could phone the VW garage (If you have her name / address) so could probably find the vw garage in the vicinity and confirm if car with reg. number xyz has been in, but I probably wouldn't even bother. Stop worrying they are chancing their arm to try get back some money.
    @Salim57774 - Do not follow up with VW or any mechanic as it is not your problem anymore - you do not own the car!
    In addition, if it ever came to it, following up could be interpreted as you feeling guilty about something.

Just out of curiosity, when you bought the car 3 months ago, did you get anything from the person who sold the car to you to show that the timing belt had been done, or did you just take their word for it?

Did you get any kind of mechanic's inspection done yourself at the time?

In fairness, a timing belt being done is not something I would just take someone's word on, I would want to see an invoice or receipt from a garage showing it had been done, as its a big job.

If the person you sold to is now being told the timing belt hasn't been done, when you told them it was, I would be pissed off

There is nothing the new buyer can do about it now, as obviously their fault that they in turn didn't seek proof of work done from you, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The car has a timing chain rather than a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

<Mod - if you have a problem with a user, report it>

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    Tough luck on the buyer if its legit giving new problems. If your genuine then its not your fault. Unless you said the timing chain was done at xmiles and it wasn't then they can't do anything.

I know a girl who bought a car on done deal recently, the timing belt wasn't done but the seller said it was. It even had a fresh date wrote on it, but when it went to the mechanic's he said it wasn't done. She stuck with it now tho.

Wha?? Just put a belt on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

@Salim57774 - Do not follow up with VW or any mechanic as it is not your problem anymore - you do not own the car!
    In addition, if it ever came to it, following up could be interpreted as you feeling guilty about something.

I wouldn’t either but the op seems to be worrying about it all! Seriously OP don’t worry about it. It’s sold as seen and the buyer brought people along to look over it, they are just chancing their arm now to try get some money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Wha?? Just put a belt on it.

The point is the original seller told the buyer the car had a new timing belt, which is a bonus as the buyer wouldn't have to have it done for quite some time. As it wasn't done, she had to get a new one done at her expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Doesnt matter what was said or done.
    She bought the car.
    It's her car now - all good and all bad.

Block her on DD.
    Do not answer any of the messages.
    You have nothing to do with this anymore.

Move on with your life.
    The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

The point is the original seller told the buyer the car had a new timing belt, which is a bonus as the buyer wouldn't have to have it done for quite some time. As it wasn't done, she had to get a new one done at her expense.

Yeah that's it. She just invested 4k in the car and when she went to insure it they said they can't it was still a taxi. She felt like she was getting an honest car and she got very upset. She came Back from the mechanic balling as she didn't have much cash to put extra into. Lessons learned. She rang your man and he said the last owner told him about the belt been done. So where could she go then nowhere.

Well that's just plain stupid, any car I ever bought in a private sale I always did a full service and do the timing belt, you should always have money spare for this when you get the car. Maybe I'm being over cautious, belts and oil are cheaper than engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yeah that's it. She just invested 4k in the car and when she went to insure it they said they can't it was still a taxi. She felt like she was getting an honest car and she got very upset. She came Back from the mechanic balling as she didn't have much cash to put extra into. Lessons learned. She rang your man and he said the last owner told him about the belt been done. So where could she go then nowhere.

It’s expense she hadn’t factored in rather than a complete disaster- doesn’t mean the car is dodgy or anything and could end up being perfectly fine

When the change of ownership goes through it will change to private nothing to bawl about really. 500 would get the belt done, even less from an indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Years back in 2003 I sold a Mazda 323 familia to a young lad, for 3 weeks I seen the car going up and down the road near my house with the rev limiter bouncing around. Him and his little mates squeezed in the back. He and his father then drove the car back up to my house approximately 3 weeks later looking for a refund, he said head gasket was gone... I remember saying "I'm not surprised I've seen the way you were driving it". So he is talking blah blah blah this and that and how I must have did something to the car to get it through the sale.I then told him to F OFF at the front door and take it to a scrap yard if he doesn't want to fix it himself. I'm sure all the neighbors heard me. God inflict bad language or these fckers will be a nuisance.

You can do whatever you want with money. But you should not lie about that. If you do (and it is easy to verify if you indeed paid back your mortgage), what does it tell about your character and your trustworthiness with the car?

Verify? It's none of their business. You're just making it clear they have no hope of even getting some goodwill out of you.

The time for considering trustworthiness and character was before they bought the car. The car is their problem now, and if they feel like they can't trust the seller, after handing over money, then tough luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭POBox19

If it looks like a scam and smells like a scam...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I remember selling a car a few years, thankfully I didn't meet the seller at my house. I met them at a local car park.

After about 3 weeks the young lad texted me that he couldn't afford the insurance and he demanded that I buy the car back from him. It got threatening but he didn't know where I lived.

My advice, block on DD and anyone selling cars privately do not do it from your home place

• Registered Users Posts: 35,348 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

POBox19 wrote: »
    If it looks like a scam and smells like a scam...

It's not a scam, handing over 7k and then having to come up with a way to get it back even though the law in on sellers side.
    So not a scam.
    Just one of those things, some goodwill to fix what seems to be a common issue would sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

It's not a scam, handing over 7k and then having to come up with a way to get it back even though the law in on sellers side.
    So not a scam.
    Just one of those things, some goodwill to fix what seems to be a common issue would sort it.

Goodwill to fix why,, Buyer inspected car for over a hour and agreed to buy it
    As seen , don't see how the seller has any responsibility now on any issues with car , Unfortunatly its the Buyer issues Now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭User1998

So not a scam.

Scam: A dishonest scheme/fraud.

The buyer could easily be making all of this up in an attempt to defraud the seller of his cash. So if very well could be a scam.

If the buyer is just a spoiled self entitled b*tch who genuinely thinks they are in the right here it would not be a scam.

And are you actually suggesting the OP gives the buyer goodwill ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Isn't it a simple legal stand point of sold as seen on private car sales.

Unless you actively hid a problem then its just tough luck for the purchaser.

Maybe I am way off but it's always how I've sold and bought cars. Want a comparison back buy from a garage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isn't it a simple legal stand point of sold as seen on private car sales.
    It is.
    Unless you actively hid a problem then its just tough luck for the purchaser.
    Correct.
    And even if a seller was to have lied about an issue, the buyer would need to prove the lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Well that's just plain stupid, any car I ever bought in a private sale I always did a full service and do the timing belt, you should always have money spare for this when you get the car. Maybe I'm being over cautious, belts and oil are cheaper than engines.

This is it. You should always buy in private sale assuming it needs standard works.

Nobody in their right mind does a load of work and then sells the car - they keep it while it's viable.

Always straight to the mechanic after purchase from me and what's to be paid in my head was part of buying the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My friend had the same experience as the op. As he has told me numerous times, but I never thought I would be repeating it as advice :)
    Hold a car to some guy, who then called back 2 days later saying problems with the car and he wanted his money back.
    He was told to get lost, but called to the house the next day with another guy moaning about the problems with the car and he wanted his money back..

But here is where it gets interesting.
    My friends uncle lives beside him and is a retired mechanic. Advised my friend as he was growing up to always mark all the bits in the car with a UV pen before you hand it over to get the car serviced in a garage you dont know (obviously he was a paranoid sort).
    My friend called his uncle and asked him to come in to help with the argument that was going on.
    The uncle arrives with a blacklight and proceeds to check the bits of the engine.
    He saw there were parts that were broken and had no uv mark on them.

He just took out his phone and started dialing.
    Said he was just getting the gardai over to help sort this out.
    Off the lads went and were never seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It is.

Correct.
    And even if a seller was to have lied about an issue, the buyer would need to prove the lie.

You don't even have to prove the lie. You have to convince the judge that the seller sold the lie. If the seller makes easy to verify statements that are false, that convincing gets much easier.
    KKV wrote: »
    Verify?

If the buyer genuinely felt you scammed them and sued you, the judge will have to base the decision on something. You'll get subpoenaed and after proving you're a filthy liar, justice will have much easier decision to make.

Just don't lie. Simple as that. Don't do anything that might be used against you. Don't offer goodwill. Don't follow up. Don't agree to see the car. Nothing. Just politely decline to further engage in the conversation. END OF STORY

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    If the buyer genuinely felt you scammed them and sued you, the judge will have to base the decision on something. You'll get subpoenaed and after proving you're a filthy liar, justice will have much easier decision to make.

:rolleyes:

Right. So you've never been in a court room, or dealt with the Gardai.

Advertisement