Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Under wear under shorts

• 18-05-2021 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I bought some cycling shorts and I am wondering is there special under wear for cycling shorts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

You don't wear underwear under cycling shorts. Cycling shorts / padding is designed to be the layer closest to the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

raher1 wrote: »
    Hi
    I bought some cycling shorts and I am wondering is there special under wear for cycling shorts

Are they cycling shorts or bib shorts
    Above poster is right if they have a pad fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Wearing underwear with cycling shorts is a mistake everyone makes exactly once ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

meercat wrote: »
    Are they cycling shorts or bib shorts...
    Bib shorts are just cycling shorts with over shoulder straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Wearing underwear with cycling shorts is a mistake everyone makes exactly once ;)

I'll freely admit I cycled for years wearing jocks under the cycling shorts, never had an issue. It was never pointed out either....

Only started going jockless a few years back!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'll freely admit I cycled for years wearing jocks under the cycling shorts, never had an issue. It was never pointed out either....

The chafing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

eeeee wrote: »

Ah yes but we now know how the op got their username... and I agree jocks under bibs is definitely eeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Must admit I was the same. Generally wore ‘sports’ underwear, and never had an issue with chafing, despite many 100k cycles. Only changed after a few years cos of reading here and similar places that they were designed for this. But I never noticed that much difference.
    One thing that made me continue wearing them was the not infrequent sight of coming up behind some lad in a sportif with worn bibs and being able to count the pimples on his arse. Some things can’t be unseen, and I definitely didn’t want to be that soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Username checks out ✔.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PhillySteak9

Worst I ever saw was on the Meath Heritage. It started spilling rain and I hauled up behind a guy in white shorts. Eye bleach time! There’s a reason most cycling shorts are a dark colour!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Worst I ever saw was on the Meath Heritage. It started spilling rain and I hauled up behind a guy in white shorts. Eye bleach time! There’s a reason most cycling shorts are a dark colour!!

Thanks for that image. Yeuch

Came up to a guy on a sportive once with bubbles coming out his rear end. He must have washed his shorts and not rinsed out fully

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Never had a day's bother, doing anything up to 120/130km spins in all weathers, at one point I was doing around 500km a week during the summer.

Was working as a beach lifeguard, had no car and the job was 28 miles away. Only way for it was the bike. I've haven't been as fit since, used to do tts and road races on the way back once a week. Always with the Jocks under the shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

💩😂

com1 wrote: »
    ... and I agree jocks under bibs is definitely eeeee
    I doubt very much that eeeee wears jocks under her bibs! :D

The old visible hairly arse through wet white shorts? Wouldn't the use of underwear have made that easier on the eye? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I see your see-through shorts and raise you low slung jeans with an ar$e crack smiling back at you. Never has commuter racing been more necessary.

I see your see-through shorts and raise you low slung jeans with an ar$e crack smiling back at you. Never has commuter racing been more necessary.

This is reaching epidemic proportions. See also tracksuit pants with full visible hairy crack. Boak. Do they not feel the cold of it?!

This is reaching epidemic proportions. See also tracksuit pants with full visible hairy crack. Boak. Do they not feel the cold of it?!

Na the hair keeps us lads super toasty :P

Enfilade wrote: »
    Na the hair keeps us lads super toasty :P

*pukes

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

Ordinary shorts no straps
    Bib shorts are just cycling shorts with over shoulder straps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

Padded shorts no straps
    meercat wrote: »
    Are they cycling shorts or bib shorts
    Above poster is right if they have a pad fitted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Must admit I was the same. Generally wore ‘sports’ underwear, and never had an issue with chafing, despite many 100k cycles. Only changed after a few years cos of reading here and similar places that they were designed for this. But I never noticed that much difference.
    One thing that made me continue wearing them was the not infrequent sight of coming up behind some lad in a sportif with worn bibs and being able to count the pimples on his arse. Some things can’t be unseen, and I definitely didn’t want to be that soldier.

Same here, never had a chaffing issue with seamless boxers under cycling shorts. Also have base layers that go under bibs for the very cold weather which also haven't been an issue. There should definitely be something added to the rules regarding threadbare which cycling shorts though, not a good look! Haven't worn boxers under shorts for a number of years but probably would if I was using any slightly older pairs of shorts.

I was a late enough convert from shorts to bibs and find that is a major comfort improvement on longer spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Baldgit

I have worn a jockstrap with bike shorts - then gave up wearing it as it didn't contribute to comfort. Which is odd because apparently jockstraps were invented for bicycle delivery boys negotiating the cobbled streets of Chicago.

I wear one for gym (old school here).

Coco Chanel was right - every woman should have a little black dress. Every cyclist needs shorts with (at least) a black section over the relevant accoutrements.

Advertisement