Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chu 4 Curfews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

CurChu's

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most public parks have a closing time (Phoenix Park is a notable exception), this isn't massively different

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Piece of **** thread title all the same.

"Rubbish... public urination".. if only we had the means and tools to tackle such behaviour.

Nah let's just ban people instead of bins and toilets.

I think this time she's bitten off more than she can chu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Rubbish... public urination".. if only we had the means and tools to tackle such behaviour.

Completely insurmountable challenges in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L1011 wrote: »
    Most public parks have a closing time (Phoenix Park is a notable exception), this isn't massively different

That should have been taken by DCC when designing and building the plaza, however. It’s not an enclosed public space and this not susceptible to control in the same manner as an enclosed park. DCC has created a space which would only be enforceable by a permanent police presence, ie they have created the probablility (used advisable) of a problem but want someone else to sort it out.

I have sympathy for those living locally and I abhor the unlawful congregation but especially the mess. However, DCC needs to find a solution it can implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

nudain wrote: »

Chu for caramel chew chew

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

L1011 wrote: »

Crikey are we now advocating closing off public spaces in urban areas? Man this escalated quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

How about we just enforce the laws wie have...

All that public drinking is illegal, arrest as many as you can and charge them, make an example of them, and continue to do so, until people realize their is consequences to their actions

Thinly veiled ‘it’s our right to hang around and be antisocial’ thread

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

She's taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

nudain wrote: »

You sure? She strikes me as someone who's can chew a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Nozebleed wrote: »
    I genuinely find this hard to believe..does anyone think curfews are acceptable? I certainly dont. i would have thought this request by a lord mayor would be all over the news and justifiably ridiculed.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/portobello-plaza-curfew-being-considered-20618751
    I presume she means a curfew for that area...? just.

if it were a park they could close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Seems to me taking the lazy way out, closing parks altogether instead of policing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

She's taking the piss

Ah no she's not.....well at least I hope not in public anyway. That would be ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was in Germany years ago and they had self contained urinals on the streets, it seems a no brainer as the sewer pipe is under the path anyway.
    We'll probably get a few feasibility studies and reports done on them , but no actual toilets!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

enricoh wrote: »
    Was in Germany years ago and they had self contained urinals on the streets, it seems a no brainer as the sewer pipe is under the path anyway.
    We'll probably get a few feasibility studies and reports done on them , but no actual toilets!

The immediate Dublin response is that Junkies would **** in them

Which might suggest that Dublin has a Junkie problem :confused:

On the rubbish issue, I was talking with my father about this last night. I lived in a foreign city in the city centre. Our rubbish collection was paid for out of our taxes so we didn't need to buy a tag, or a sticker or whatever and the bins were collected every two days. Result? The place was spotless.

On the public toilet issue, they had a number of public toilets, manned by well, a man, or often a little old lady. She'd charge a small nominal charge, and if you genuinely didn't have it, she'd let you in, but the charge was to dissuade loitering. He/she kept the place clean and generally kept an eye on the place. Another very easy to implement solution we seem unable to do here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This isn't what a curfew is, this is just closing a public plaza at certain times. I don't often find myself on the same side of the fence as Ms. Chu, but she might actually have a point this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

denartha wrote: »
    On the rubbish issue, I was talking with my father about this last night. I lived in a foreign city in the city centre. Our rubbish collection was paid for out of our taxes so we didn't need to buy a tag, or a sticker or whatever and the bins were collected every two days. Result? The place was spotless.

On the public toilet issue, they had a number of public toilets, manned by well, a man, or often a little old lady. She'd charge a small nominal charge, and if you genuinely didn't have it, she'd let you in, but the charge was to dissuade loitering. He/she kept the place clean and generally kept an eye on the place. Another very easy to implement solution we seem unable to do here.

Was chatting to a lad in that Barack Obama plaza he was cleaning the toilets. He said he was in them full time basically to stop claims. No doubt there was someone in the women's jacks as well. Dunno what hours it opens but it'd be open 80hrs a week anyway- so 4 wages at least. A fairly substantial cost per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

jimgoose wrote: »
    This isn't what a curfew is, this is just closing a public plaza at certain times. I don't often find myself on the same side of the fence as Ms. Chu, but she might actually have a point this time.

ok so...we'll be closing off temple bar at 10pm aswell so...where do you want to go with this? calling for a public plaza to be closed off or a curfew put in place is the height of stupidity.

also in ireland its not illegal to drink in public..it is however illegal to be drunk in public. there's a big difference.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    How about we just enforce the laws wie have...

All that public drinking is illegal, arrest as many as you can and charge them, make an example of them, and continue to do so, until people realize their is consequences to their actions

There is no such law.

Please try again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ok so...we'll be closing off temple bar at 10pm aswell so...where do you want to go with this? calling for a public plaza to be closed off or a curfew put in place is the height of stupidity.

also in ireland its not illegal to drink in public..it is however illegal to be drunk in public. there's a big difference.

I don't want to go anywhere with it because it's not my problem and I don't care. All I'll say is that this is part of the same reason we don't have proper public toilets in Ireland - like many public amenities they're quickly rendered unusable by assorted yobs and head-cases and for some reason the police don't whale fuck out of them with steel-cored batons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

And there they all are, like flies to shite

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Don't really know what they're supposed to do here. It had turned into a mini festival a few nights a week, with tonnes of rubbish being left there, even after they put more barrels out as bins. You couldn't really cater for the amount of rubbish produced and people wont take it home with them.
    Do we start putting skips there every weekend and public toilets? Would that not just attract bigger crowds to a residential area? I just don't know if we're mature enough as a society for this kind of thing when I see the states places are left in.
    With our weather at least it wont be a problem for much of the year and the gatherings will be smaller when bars and restaurants open.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There is going to be a lot of issues this Summer regarding to people drinking outside, beaches, woods, etc.
    It's going to be a tricky situation to manage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no nationwide law. However, individual councils are allowed have their own ban via byelaws, and DCC does. Its just rarely if ever enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

I don't want to go anywhere with it because it's not my problem and I don't care.

Talk about an attitude that's the epitome of WHY the problem is a problem in the first place.
    The irish and our 'I'm alright Jack' attitude and general lack of civic responsibility is 'why we can't have nice things'.

All I'll say is that this is part of the same reason we don't have proper public toilets in Ireland - like many public amenities they're quickly rendered unusable by assorted yobs and head-cases and for some reason the police don't whale fuck out of them with steel-cored batons.

The 'same reason' you’re talking about is anti-social behaviour.
    The answer to junkies in the jax isn't closing all the public toilets. The answer to litter bug Larry isn't removing all the bins from the streets and the answer to anti-social behaviour in Portobello isn't closing down public spaces, it's addressing the root of the problem.
    If Hazel thinks that withdrawing public amenities from people is the answer to the problem then she has no place in government, local or national. We need politicians that want to fix problems, not sweep them under the carpet and penalize everybody other than the offenders, those politicians need to get out of the way of others prepared to offer solutions that make everybody’s life better, not worse.

Advertisement