Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

josip wrote: »
    What happened Nadal in the 2nd set today?
    Did he give up/get bored/saved his energy for the 3rd?

Djkovic upped his game, and Nadal maybe lost a little bit of focus, probably thinking about those dangerous wire trip lines that kept tripping him up

The think I admire about Nadal, is that he doesn't bitch or complain or throw tantrums to imtimidate people . Some other players would have called a lengthy medical time to get his scrapes seen to or have the game halted to argue with the tournament director.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

sxt wrote: »
    Djkovic upped his game, and Nadal maybe lost a little bit of focus, probably thinking about those dangerous wire trip lines that kept tripping him up

The think I admire about Nadal, is that he doesn't bitch or complain or throw tantrums to imtimidate people . Some other players would have called a lengthy medical time to get his scrapes seen to or have the game halted to argue with the tournament director.

:D hilarious, no nadal just time wastes and has umpires removed from tournaments that he doesn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Based on what I saw this week, hard to see anything but Nadal winning the FO. Nadal has worked himself into pretty good shape by the end of the week and rose to anything Djokovic threw at him in the final.

The final proved that Djokovic has to be basically perfect for 3 or 4 sets to beat Nadal. That's a high wire act so he will probably try to pull a 'strategy' like he did last year with the drop shots etc. Nadal dismantled that in short order in the final. Djokovic would be as well to just go for his shots and let the chips fall where they may.

I can see anyone else coming close to Nadal over best of 5 to be honest, Thiem looks to have lost his way somewhat and its much of a muchness otherwise. The draw will be interesting with Nadal seeded 3 and Medvedev seeded 2 (possibly the least proficient clay courter to ever hold that rank).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I watched all of Rome and, Opelka apart, Nadals route to victory must be one of the most difficult M1000s in recent years. Sinner-Shapo-Zverev-Djokovic can't be underestimated, even for Nadal on clay. What was most apparent, however, is that he got better with each match, without ever reaching top form. Which is a scary prospect, because Djokovic threw the kitchen sink at him yesterday and played his best clay tennis since 2015-2016, and still lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I watched all of Rome and, Opelka apart, Nadals route to victory must be one of the most difficult M1000s in recent years. Sinner-Shapo-Zverev-Djokovic can't be underestimated, even for Nadal on clay. What was most apparent, however, is that he got better with each match, without ever reaching top form. Which is a scary prospect, because Djokovic threw the kitchen sink at him yesterday and played his best clay tennis since 2015-2016, and still lost.

EPO a helluva drug!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

TomSweeney wrote: »
    EPO a helluva drug!!!

I don’t think Nole takes EPO....

It is interesting to note though that anabolic steroids can cause hair loss through higher levels of DHT in the body as a result.

images-58-17.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

What I dont get is why Djokovic doesnt just stay more patient playing Nadal on clay. When the points went longer than 5 shots on Sunday, Djokovic won majority of the points. When you look at 2011 and 2015, Novak was dominating Nadal and often beat him physically. I think the two matches Djokovic had on Saturday probably meant he was less patient.

Nadal is an absolute beast on clay and I agree that at the French a player has to max out for 3 sets to beat him, such a difficult thing to achieve. I still believe though that Djokovic is the only one deep down who believes he can beat Nadal on any court. For me Novak is the more gifted player with a wider arsenal but over the past few years vs Nadal on clay he has been too impatient, I think he needs to go toe to toe with him more. At the end of the day while the clay head to head is heavily in Nadals favour, Djokovic has more wins on clay vs Nadal than any other player (7 wins and one of only two players ever to beat him at the French).

I fully expect Nadal to win the French open but I just hope if Novak does play him in the final, he shows more patience and he adopts the strategy he used to use more, biding his time before striking. Novaks game style has always caused Nadal the most problems, hence the 29-28 head to head lead. I should also add that even aside from beating Nadal at the French in 2015, Novak should also have beaten Nadal the time they had that epic 5 setter, I think Djokovic led in that decider but lost about 9-7 in 5th set.

quote="lostcat;117184002"]Based on what I saw this week, hard to see anything but Nadal winning the FO. Nadal has worked himself into pretty good shape by the end of the week and rose to anything Djokovic threw at him in the final.

The final proved that Djokovic has to be basically perfect for 3 or 4 sets to beat Nadal. That's a high wire act so he will probably try to pull a 'strategy' like he did last year with the drop shots etc. Nadal dismantled that in short order in the final. Djokovic would be as well to just go for his shots and let the chips fall where they may.

I can see anyone else coming close to Nadal over best of 5 to be honest, Thiem looks to have lost his way somewhat and its much of a muchness otherwise. The draw will be interesting with Nadal seeded 3 and Medvedev seeded 2 (possibly the least proficient clay courter to ever hold that rank).[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Can't find Geneva on Prime Video. Are they not showing it or is their search function just brutal as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

Can't find Geneva on Prime Video. Are they not showing it or is their search function just brutal as usual?

Can't answer your question, but glad its not just me that cannot find what I am looking for with their search function!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A bit short sighted by Fed to only play Geneva. Uncharacteristically shaky on the serve and too many UEs. I suppose he’ll be on the practice courts for the rest of the week in Geneva.

On Prime this week I can see Parma, Lyon and Belgrade advertised so they don't seem to have Geneva. Searching on Prime is even worse than searching for something using Bing.

What I don't get is why Djokovic doesn't just stay more patient playing Nadal on clay. When the points went longer than 5 shots on Sunday, Djokovic won majority of the points.

They are both looking to finish points quicker, they are getting on in fairness, and I don't think either is overly keen on many 20 shot chess openings before pulling the trigger at this stage.

I think he was trying out some stuff last week but Nadal was willing to pull the trigger fairly quickly so being patient is not always an option. Good tactics from Nadal, as he won. I think they will both be happy enough with where they are at v the rest of the field at the moment.

Federer will probably try to get another tournament under his belt next week, he needs match play.
    I see Murray has pulled out of Paris, unfortunately I don't think we will be seeing much more of him at the business end of things.
    Baby Fed has just turned 30 btw :O....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Halap has pulled out of the French open due to a calf injury.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Whatever happened to Chung Hyeon? Had a great run at the Aussie Open a couple of years ago. I remember he got injured but that was the last we ever heard of him, not even an attempted comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Hey folks - looking to attend Wimbledon this year. I have my vaccine etc. Has anyone else here gone before? What exactly is my best route to obtaining a ticket. Any recommendations? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hey folks - looking to attend Wimbledon this year. I have my vaccine etc. Has anyone else here gone before? What exactly is my best route to obtaining a ticket. Any recommendations? Thanks.

I don't think there's any queue allowed this year, so your best best is probably the few tickets that get released on Ticketmaster 24 hours before play probably. I don't think you'd have much of a chance this year unfortunately, probably the wrong year for trying. Although maybe I'm wrong, unless anyone else has any ideas?

... What exactly is my best route to obtaining a ticket. Any recommendations? Thanks.

at this stage, i'd recommend that applying for a wildcard and ploughing through a few rounds of qualifiers might be your best bet of getting in....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Another next gen falls today as Cilic defeats FAA to win Stuttgart.

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »

FAA now 0-8 in finals. Not good at the early stages of his young career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The next gen guys are just so mentally weak, most seem to have the talent, but, just wilt when any sort of pressure comes on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Girly Gal wrote: »
    The next gen guys are just so mentally weak, most seem to have the talent, but, just wilt when any sort of pressure comes on them.

In fairness to the next gen, it's not just 'any sort' of pressure.
    Going into set 4 or 5 of a GS with a Nadal or Djokovic staring back from the other side of the net is the kind of pressure very few in sport experience or would want to experience.
    Even Federer wilts under that pressure and he's last gen :)

I hate the way Nike aren't sending out different sets to players. Have Sinner v Draper on in the background and whenever I look I can't tell who's who.

heard a point that I thought was interesting

the younger players - don't expect them to do well at Wimbledon this year comparatively maybe

1. the players play little on grass anyways as it's the shortest season

2. last year there was no grass court season

3. this year the turnaround is also shorter to Wimbledon than in a totally normal year

4. it takes several seasons normally for players to learn how to optimise their game to play on grass to their potential

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I hate the way Nike aren't sending out different sets to players. Have Sinner v Draper on in the background and whenever I look I can't tell who's who.

It is very irritating. They are like twins. Apart from one being leftie:pac:
    Queens looks wonderful apart from the advertising hoardings - they are very, very pink.

Federer has signed up for Halle next year already, according to the commentators. Still looks very rusty here v Ivashka.

If Fed was smart he'd start playing doubles from next year. It'd keep drawing in the crowds and he's more than capable of winning a few doubles slams in his 40's with a good partner. It would be an easy way to add nicely to his legacy.

If Fed was smart he'd start playing doubles from next year. It'd keep drawing in the crowds and he's more than capable of winning a few doubles slams in his 40's with a good partner. It would be an easy way to add nicely to his legacy.

It'd be an undeniable step down though, no? It's singles where the prestige is.

• Advertisement

It'd be an undeniable step down though, no? It's singles where the prestige is.

True.

No way you're going to get away with counting mixed doubles slams in your GS total

Advertisement