Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jesse Evans Incident San Diego, US

Options
  • 17-05-2021 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Recalling the moments that led to the confrontation with several officers, Evans said he had unclasped his pants to urinate while standing near some trees on the southwest corner of the intersection when an officer approached and warned him to stop because he could be cited for indecent exposure.

Evans said he walked away, but an officer blocked him when he tried to cross the street heading east. He recalled that he swore at the officer, told him to get out of his way, and said, “This is why I hate this country. I hate this culture."
    Once on the ground, the officers struggle with Evans while shouting commands for him to stop resisting. The officers can be seen striking Evans in his head and face and punching his left leg several times..”
    At the news conference, the Rev. Shane Harris, president of the People’s Association of Justice, suggested racism was involved in the confrontation with Evans, who is Black.
    “I saw on video what everybody saw,” Harris said. “A Black man being brutalized, being treated like he wasn’t a human. Being treated unjustly, all because he was allegedly urinating.

“What we are looking at today is urinating while Black,” he said.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2021-05-14/homeless-advocates-demand-justice-for-homeless-man-punched-by-officer%3f_amp=true

This seems like a ridiculous overreaction to what started out as a fairly minor incident. The cops should be there to protect the most vulnerable members of society. What he was doing was wrong, but he didn't deserve such draconian treatment. It seems like he is filing a lawsuit against the city now for being a victim of police brutality. Homeless people should be treated with more dignity than this. It's interesting to see racial discrimination being mentioned too but it would be difficult to prove. Only way to prove it would be if the officers havea history of using excessive force against minorities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Public health issue.

As well as indecent exposure.

And refusing to comply with the instructions of an officer of the law.

The law is there for reasons - not just an á la carte option depending on your mood or skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Pissing in public isn't tolerated in the US. It's not like here.

I knew a few Irish lads that ended up in court over it over there after being out on the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2 officers ground him and the officer on the left, with no baseball-cap on, just starts clobbering the guy in the face. We don't know what happens up to this, and I cannot give him much benefit of the doubt about the suspect kicking for example (his foot is up in the air) because I don't really see any instance where he even had that foot in his peripheral vision. His vision was locked on the suspects head throughout the time they dragged him down to when he starts punching him. However, moments later, the suspect does indeed break free from restraint and punches said officer squarely in the face, so then he could just as easily have been the violent instigator before cameras start as well. They do have a gun drawn on him, and now a cammer, so he's definitely a scene. Theres a lot more punching in the video, I mean, is that the only option open to them?

Interesting to see where bodycamera footage will lead. Because it potentially contains a lewd act involving the suspect calling for its release this ought to be interesting. He probably has little argument about civil liberties though throwing police radios around and punching cops in the face.

Thanks OP I'll watch out for that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

hawley wrote: »
    If that were the case, they;d be breaking down the doors of toielts in every baclk household in the country.
    This seems like a ridiculous overreaction to what started out as a fairly minor incident. The cops should be there to protect the most vulnerable members of society. What he was doing was wrong, but he didn't deserve such draconian treatment. It seems like he is filing a lawsuit against the city now for being a victim of police brutality. Homeless people should be treated with more dignity than this. It's interesting to see racial discrimination being mentioned too but it would be difficult to prove. Only way to prove it would be if the officers havea history of using excessive force against minorities.

One - he wasn't vulnerable

Two - the cops are nto ther to protect people, they are there to protect the system (although how the guy in question is threatening the system is anyone's guess)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Would this situation have been resolved better if the police had shown up with a public defender present (or had one been among the cavalcade of support units that show up within minutes)?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pissing in public isn't tolerated in the US. It's not like here.

I knew a few Irish lads that ended up in court over it over there after being out on the beer.

I don't know if there are public "restrooms" in San Diego, but if not, where are homeless poeple suppose to pee...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't know if there are public "restrooms" in San Diego, but if not, where are homeless poeple suppose to pee...?

That's a different issue. How they facilitate them, or don't facilitate them, does not make what I said less relevant. If they catch you doing it, you will more than likely end up with a day in court. They might make allowances for the homeless. Was this fella homeless?

Technically ending up in court could happen in Ireland too ... but how often do you hear of it? It is usually only added on as an extra to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

That's part of the problem. There are very few showering facilities and restrooms in San Diego. It seems like the city is teeming with unfortunate homeless people. The cop was punching him in the face. It was a massive overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Criminalising pissing in public is one of the most insane things that's been normalised.

So long as someone is doing it out of the way (i.e. in some bushes or onto grass) and not making a show of themselves, then what's the problem?

"Indecent exposure" for taking a piss is another draconian Americanism with puritanical roots. "Oh noes, someone might see someone else's genitals".

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This really does not warrant a thread here

OP, you seem to want to pick up fairly inane US topics and start threads here. Please consider the relevance to an Irish audience rather that starting threads pretty much for the sake of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement