Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Towing a horse box, power?

• 17-05-2021 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Has anyone views on the power needed to tow a horse box. I’m looking at a Tuscan 1.7D (115php). It’s rated to tow but has anyone experienced it, good or bad. The alternative is probably the Ateca at 150bhp. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Damian Q wrote: »
    Has anyone views on the power needed to tow a horse box. I’m looking at a Tuscan 1.7D (115php). It’s rated to tow but has anyone experienced it, good or bad. The alternative is probably the Ateca at 150bhp. Thanks

You probably need to say what type.of box you're towing how many horses, the max weight of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

You need to look at the braked towing weight capacity on the vehicle specs. If it’s a double horsebox you need braked towing capacity close to 2.5 tonnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go for the best torque, bhp you can.... Obviously as above check towing capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

A 1.7 Tucson isn't really up to the job.

Yes it will physically pull the trailer on a dry flat road but that's about it, it wont be too happy about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

The 2.2 diesel Santa Fe, or the Kia Sorento are both rated to 2,500kgs. They will do the job with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

JC01 wrote: »

Yes it will physically pull the trailer on a dry flat road but that's about it, it wont be too happy about it either.

Totally right, I'm sure. But this does have me harking back to my childhood neighbour with a 1.6 petrol Nissan Bluebird saloon towing an Ifor Williams horsebox with two horses. I'm pretty sure it was on its bump stops all the time and I don't know how he kept clutches in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

People use this for caravan but will be useful
    https://towcar.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

JC01 wrote: »

Clutches in those wouldn't be known for their strength!

Advertisement