Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

thru axel madness

• 17-05-2021 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

ok, so this one really has me stumped, how do I figure out what spec I need for thru axel replacement for road bike.

The bike is a 2020 cube attain. A while ago I went to take the rear wheel off and the stripped the head on it when using multitool! :rolleyes:

So now I am fear of being stranded when out for a spin. I got the sucker out today but there's no specs on it. Only says Cube x12 axle 14.19.

I though x12 was an MTB standard. Was hoping to replace with a thru axel with ah QR lever, but my head is now melted trying to figure out what one to get :confused:

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

Came across this on another forum, lads there recommended it, no experience myself.

https://robertaxleproject.com/axle-finder-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

From the info you posted, you need a 12mm x 142mm thru axle. The big question is the thread pitch. They seem to come in two sizes, 1.5 and 1.75

You can find that out by measuring the pitch, but you need a thread pitch guage to that.

Are there any other marking or numbers

Edited to add: in the space of time I opened the window, and responded, nihlig had posted

This chart would seem to suggest the pitch is brand dependent

553348.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

cletus wrote: »
    From the info you posted, you need a 12mm x 142mm thru axle. The big question is the thread pitch. They seem to come in two sizes, 1.5 and 1.75

You can find that out by measuring the pitch, but you need a thread pitch guage to that.

Are there any other marking or numbers

Edited to add: in the space of time I opened the window, and responded, nihlig had posted

The finder above suggests it's a 1.0mm thread, thru axles seem to have more variations than bottom brackets.......

See the link below for example

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/skewers-thru-axle/?page=4&geoc=IE

nilhg wrote: »
    The finder above suggests it's a 1.0mm thread, thru axles seem to have more variations than bottom brackets.......

See the link below for example

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/skewers-thru-axle/?page=4&geoc=IE

I just had a look at your link. That's actually ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I just had a look at your link. That's actually ridiculous.

Thru Axles seem to be the new rear derailleur dropouts :rolleyes::(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I recently got a Cube and now have four bikes with thru axles. Unlike the link above, I much prefer the axles with a handle permanently attached. You might lose a bit on looks but it is 100 times easier than trying to get at them with an allen key, given that they need to be fairly tight.

Whatever about having various lengths and widths of axle, how hard would it be to decide across the board that there's a standard pitch for each width. 12mm is 1.5, 15mm is 1.75 etc

Whatever about having various lengths and widths of axle, how hard would it be to decide across the board that there's a standard pitch for each width. 12mm is 1.5, 15mm is 1.75 etc

Annoyingly, metric thread diameters have different pitches - standard, coarse and fine, but what constitutes standard, coarse and fine pitch depends on the diameter in question.

For example, a favourite of bike owners, M5 (bottle cages, mudguard bolts, etc) has a standard pitch of 0.5mm, whereas M10's standard pitch is 1.25mm.
    However bikes do use M10, but in its fine (1.0mm) pitch, for mounting the derailleur into the hanger, and on quick-release (pre-thru axle) axles.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Annoyingly, metric thread diameters have different pitches - standard, coarse and fine, but what constitutes standard, coarse and fine pitch depends on the diameter in question.

For example, a favourite of bike owners, M5 (bottle cages, mudguard bolts, etc) has a standard pitch of 0.5mm, whereas M10's standard pitch is 1.25mm.
    However bikes do use M10, but in its fine (1.0mm) pitch, for mounting the derailleur into the hanger, and on quick-release (pre-thru axle) axles.

I know, yeah. That's why I suggested 1.5 for M12, standard fine pitch.

Dunno what the standard fine pitch for M15 would be, but whether they chose fine or coarse pitch, Jesus pick one and stick with it. I mean 1.0 pitch for M12, what's that, extra fine, maybe?

• Advertisement

Yes, but the guys who are choosing the pitch are the frameset manufacturers, and look how they simplified the rear derailleur hangers that we have to choose from :(:confused::mad:

For anyone wondering, this is only about half of all types :eek:

wall_chart_2018_hanger.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bwdbwd

I used the info here. Have a Cube gravel bike. For what it's worth, needed a 1mm thread pitch.

https://www.modernbike.com/how-to-measure-bicycle-thru-axles#:~:text=Thread%20Pitch%20and%20Thread%20Length,to%20measure%20without%20a%20caliper.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

To identify the thread pitch all that’s needed is a ruler and a bit of patience.

In the same way as chain wear is measured over several links, try measuring the distance for several threads.

If the pitch is 1.5mm you’ll have 4 threads in a length of 6mm.

Whereas the pitch is 1.75mm you’ll have 4 threads in a length of 7mm.

So basically, measure 4 threads, is it 6mm or 7mm?

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

The standard 12mm metric (coarse) thread is 1.75mm pitch. So, if you go into any hardware store with your broken axle, or buy a 12 mm bolt (or ask your neighbour etc), you will know if it's 1.75 or not.
    If the threads on the axle are slightly smaller (closer together), it's likely 1.5
    Or, ias above says, f you get a ruler and check the axle up against it, every-second-thread will amount to 3 mm .... etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Type 17 wrote: »
    Yes, but the guys who are choosing the pitch are the frameset manufacturers, and look how they simplified the rear derailleur hangers that we have to choose from :(:confused::mad:

For anyone wondering, this is only about half of all types :eek:

wall_chart_2018_hanger.jpg

If you buy a new bike, always insist on getting one or two spare hangers with it - good luck looking for one in 2-3-5-10 year's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

thanks for all the help on this - some reading to do so! :)

Advertisement