Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used car budget 8k

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Auris I would expect to be in same class

I have had multiple golf and love them, just giving you alternatives

Cheers just had a look but Most auris online are vans?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Boy racer Civics were a long time ago.

I’m getting old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Near no mileage and reliable ? Electric ...

Murph85 wrote: »
    Near no mileage and reliable ? Electric ...

Are the batteries not really expensive to replace on them? That’s all I keep hearing when I ask anyone about them? Am interested tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 enda_legend

One that goes under the radar is the Skoda Superb, Skoda have come a long way. 8k would find you a really nice example, and the latest model as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Newport81 wrote: »
    Are the batteries not really expensive to replace on them? That’s all I keep hearing when I ask anyone about them? Am interested tho

You dont have to replace them.. yes range drops, but with your minuscule mileage, the range drops will probably never be relevant...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

One that goes under the radar is the Skoda Superb, Skoda have come a long way. 8k would find you a really nice example, and the latest model as well

For 8 grand?

Murph85 wrote: »
    You dont have to replace them.. yes range drops, but with your minuscule mileage, the range drops will probably never be relevant...

What would be the best one I could get for my budget?

How many miles can petrol engine do? Would this be good value?

2012 Audi A3
    1.4 TFSI S-Tronic A…
    €9,995 - 43,497 m / 70,000 km, 1.4 Petrol

https://www.carsireland.ie/2812579

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

For 8 k you would get a good insignia. Had 3x before my current mondeo, all great cars

• Advertisement

I’ve decided to go with a hybrid. I’ve read a lot of reviews and the auris hybrid seems to be a good fit for me.

Anything I should be looking out for when buying one? Do they give trouble over a certain mileage etc?

Would this one be good value?

2012 Toyota Auris
    1.8 HYBRID LUXURY
    €8,950 - 94,629 m / 152,286 km, 1.8 Hybrid

https://www.carsireland.ie/2845845

If you can stretch the budget another €1000-€1500 you’d get into the newer model Auris which is a far superior car to the original shape. Mechanically it’s the same but it’s more refined and with a much better interior and tech.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you can stretch the budget another €1000-€1500 you’d get into the newer model Auris which is a far superior car to the original shape. Mechanically it’s the same but it’s more refined and with a much better interior and tech.

Thanks it seems to be over my budget after ringing around a few places today. One guy was recommending a comfort dsg auto golf said they are a lovely drive and petrol 1.4 2012 tsi. Does anyone know what I need to be looking for in these have read on here petrol golfs can be a no no?

They are in a different league in terms of risk, both in terms of engine and gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stick with your Toyota choice....

Auris, Prius

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Newport81 wrote: »
    How many miles can petrol engine do? Would this be good value?

2012 Audi A3
    1.4 TFSI S-Tronic A…
    €9,995 - 43,497 m / 70,000 km, 1.4 Petrol

https://www.carsireland.ie/2812579

Petrol engines can do huge mileage if looked after

Would this be a good buy?

2012 BMW 1 series Petrol 79km timing change 2018

Going to view it tmrw is there anything I need to look out for? Also will it be harder to resell a petrol in a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Mimon wrote:
    Milage fairly high and Donegal reg.

Why does the reg matter?

Why does the reg matter?

DL in many many cases have had a very hard life....

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

As opposed to Dublin reg cars who have had the crap ridden out of their gearbox and clutch.

It's complete crap nowadays and a sweeping generalisation that has no truth behind it when not looking at your typical "daysul" machine.

• Advertisement

As opposed to Dublin reg cars who have had the crap ridden out of their gearbox and clutch.

It's complete crap nowadays and a sweeping generalisation that has no truth behind it when not looking at your typical "daysul" machine.

D if in Dublin tend to be in better shape then say something out on Sligo or wherever as roads are better in most cases....

DL tend to be mostly from across the border, bad roads etc......
    Obviously not all stay there, cars move around, new owners etc....
    Just a reg D or whatever doesn't tell the full story.

It might be unfounded nonsense, but I personally wouldn't buy a DL reg car. I'm sure there are many others who think similar, so with that in mind I'd be buying it with the expectation of having a difficult time shifting it on, if it ever came time to sell.

Advertisement