Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Level 7 Diploma same as primary degree?

• 17-05-2021 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So, I'm looking at possibly applying for some Masters courses as my work has a scholarship programme where they'll pay the fees etc.

I have a Level 7 qualification, a Diploma in Global Human Rights and Development from UCC, in which I got a 2.1. As I was doing the course and on the website it's described as a Diploma but as it's a level 7 does this count as a bachelor's degree or what?

In the 'entry requirements' section of various courses I've looked at I've seen "primary degree" and "minimum second class honors degree" specified, but am unsure if that exempts me or not.

Obviously there are plenty of courses that require a Level 8 course and say that specifically, but is that accross the board?

Comments

Your qualification would most likely equate to an ordinary degree, level 8 would be an honours degree.

https://www.qqi.ie/Articles/Pages/National-Framework-of-Qualifications-(NFQ).aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Souptar wrote: »
    So, I'm looking at possibly applying for some Masters courses as my work has a scholarship programme where they'll pay the fees etc.

I have a Level 7 qualification, a Diploma in Global Human Rights and Development from UCC, in which I got a 2.1. As I was doing the course and on the website it's described as a Diploma but as it's a level 7 does this count as a bachelor's degree or what?

In the 'entry requirements' section of various courses I've looked at I've seen "primary degree" and "minimum second class honors degree" specified, but am unsure if that exempts me or not.

Obviously there are plenty of courses that require a Level 8 course and say that specifically, but is that accross the board?

If it's any use to you I got accepted into a Masters in UCD with a level 7 Engineering Degree. The Masters was a Computer Science conversion course so that helped my case for sure.

Point being "it depends", each course will have different criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Souptar

Your qualification would most likely equate to an ordinary degree, level 8 would be an honours degree.

https://www.qqi.ie/Articles/Pages/National-Framework-of-Qualifications-(NFQ).aspx

Is an ordinary degree the same as a "primary degree" or does that just refer to an honours/Level 8 degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Souptar

If it's any use to you I got accepted into a Masters in UCD with a level 7 Engineering Degree. The Masters was a Computer Science conversion course so that helped my case for sure.

Point being "it depends", each course will have different criteria

Hmm fair enough. Probably doesn't help that my qualification is a wishy washy humanities subject :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I am not so sure. While a Diploma and Ordinary Degree are both at level 7, they are not exactly the same.

A level 7 degree takes 3 years to complete whereas a level 7 diploma can take a year or less in some cases.

So I would have imagined that if the entry requirements specifically mention the need for a primary degree, then this is what you will need.

Only way to know for sure is to pick up the phone or send them an email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Maybe look at Higher Diploma first, most of them will accept Level 7 and can be a great stepping stone to a Masters. H Dips are usually just 1 year also

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's all about the credits - a Level 7 Ordinary Level degree would typically have 180 ECTS (credits), that's 60 credits/year, three years.

Just looking at the UCC website for that programme, I see that it is 60 credits, which is equivalent to one year on a Level 7 Ordinary degree. So there is no real comparison.

Your primary degree is what your (usually Level 8 honours degree) is in. In my case, my primary degree is in one field yet my PhD is in another. So it is typically used to see what you are "primarily" qualified in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Tzardine wrote: »
    I am not so sure. While a Diploma and Ordinary Degree are both at level 7, they are not exactly the same.

A level 7 degree takes 3 years to complete whereas a level 7 diploma can take a year or less in some cases.

So I would have imagined that if the entry requirements specifically mention the need for a primary degree, then this is what you will need.

Only way to know for sure is to pick up the phone or send them an email.

I don't think this is correct. The level 7 Diploma only took a year to complete because you could only enter it after having completed a 2 year level 6 Cert so in effect both the Level 7 Diploma and Ordinary Degree are the same because it will have taken 3 years total study to earn both. You couldn't do a 1 year add on Diploma without having completed a 2 year level 6 cert. The same way you cant do a 1 year add on Level 8 Degree without either a level 7 Diploma or Ordinary Degree

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I don't think this is correct. The level 7 Diploma only took a year to complete because you could only enter it after having completed a 2 year level 6 Cert so in effect both the Level 7 Diploma and Ordinary Degree are the same because it will have taken 3 years total study to earn both. You couldn't do a 1 year add on Diploma without having completed a 2 year level 6 cert. The same way you cant do a 1 year add on Level 8 Degree without either a level 7 Diploma or Ordinary Degree

No it does not work that way at all. Level 6 and Level 7 are very far apart. You can gain some level 6 qualifications in a week.

And there are plenty of Level 7 Diploma courses that do not require you to do 2 previous years at Level 6 - most of them in fact have zero prerequisites other than leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Tzardine wrote: »
    No it does not work that way at all. Level 6 and Level 7 are very far apart. You can gain some level 6 qualifications in a week.

And there are plenty of Level 7 Diploma courses that do not require you to do 2 previous years at Level 6 - most of them in fact have zero prerequisites other than leaving cert.

Can you please provide examples of both

• Advertisement

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Can you please provide examples of both

I could. But I can't be arsed.

Prove me wrong if you wish.

Advertisement