Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sold car yesterday, now buyer demand full refund

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭User1998

callaway92 wrote: »
    No. Just don’t tell them anything. Just ignore them.

Exactly. Don’t even engage with them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

User1998 wrote: »
    She doesn’t even have your number? Happy days. Just block her on Donedeal it only takes two seconds and you’ll never hear from her again

Does she have his address? Phone numbers not much recorse

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Salim57774

Meeoow wrote: »
    Sounds a bit dodgy that you have the car less than 3 months and selling it.
    She was mad in the head to buy it. I wouldn't have gone near it.

It could be a bit dodgy from your point of view, but my sister bought this as first car and couldn't get insured in her own with learner, i tried to insure it in my name and add her and when adding her the price goes up by nearly 3k so we decided to sell it after losing hope in insuring it.
    Car was totally driving perfect and i advised her to bring her own mechanic, and she inspected it with the other 2 guys for nearly a full hour.

Salim57774 wrote: »
    It could be a bit dodgy from your point of view, but my sister bought this as first car and couldn't get insured in her own with learner, i tried to insure it in my name and add her and when adding her the price goes up by nearly 3k so we decided to sell it after losing hope in insuring it.
    Car was totally driving perfect and i advised her to bring her own mechanic, and she inspected it with the other 2 guys for nearly a full hour.

Try one of those box insurers, save a fortune on first insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Salim57774..

first of all....stop worrying. you done nothinig wrong. the onus in completely on the buyer when it comes to private sales. as soon as the purchaser has signed the documents and left with the vehicle its their problem. if you sent the reg cert off to shannon then your part in the sale is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

1.4 l petrol Passat is a nice car- some known issues with earlier versions of that engine but generally not bad

Tell them you paid the money off a loan you had so you no longer have it, and if they want to engage a solicitor (they wont) you look forward to hearing from them.

Thats a good excuse but i don't think i really need it. The members here are advising that legally i don't have to return it and to simply ignore it and that's what i will probably do.

Did they have a cork accent? Or another one, boss

You can see now why people try and sell cars from carparks rather than their homes even though it's on the VLC

I think they did yes, they view it in the car park in the apartment complex where i live.

In reality it's more about who you sold it to be, but if they were rational normal people you are grand

User1998 wrote: »
    She doesn’t even have your number? Happy days. Just block her on Donedeal it only takes two seconds and you’ll never hear from her again

All she have is DoneDeal chat and my family home address in the log book when they took picture of it.

• Advertisement

I think they did yes, they view it in the car park in the apartment complex where i live.

It's not like they'd drive up from cork with low oil pressure

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Salim57774..

first of all....stop worrying. you done nothinig wrong. the onus in completely on the buyer when it comes to private sales. as soon as the purchaser has signed the documents and left with the vehicle its their problem. if you sent the reg cert off to shannon then your part in the sale is complete.

Will do, the book was sent to Shannon, thanks for your reply.

Try one of those box insurers, save a fortune on first insurance

Boxes have bad reviews, some people says that they will register you as speeding over the limit while driving below and they could increase the payment during the contract if they found you overspeeding thats why she was looking for normal insurance. instead of box. We got a good quote from AXA for Suzuki swift that she will probably buy tomorrow.
    This time we will be calling insurance company in the day of purchase to confirm the insurance price.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

Call the guards if they start to hassle you, but don't give them the refund.

Jaysci20 wrote: »
    Call the guards if they start to hassle you, but don't give them the refund.

I very much doubt they will- just a pack of chancers trying their luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Once they drove off in the car it became their problem. Block their number and forget about them.

grogi wrote: »
    Why resort to lying? That might bite you too.

Because they know then he no longer has the cash sitting around the house and there's no point in pestering him for it.

Also, how would that "bite you". He can do what he wants with his money. Do you think it'll go to court and a judge will demand to see where the person spent their money?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Because they know then he no longer has the cash sitting around the house and there's no point in pestering him for it.

How does hold onto cash? It's 2021 if you didn't notice...
    Also, how would that "bite you". He can do what he wants with his money. Do you think it'll go to court and a judge will demand to see where the person spent their money?

You can do whatever you want with money. But you should not lie about that. If you do (and it is easy to verify if you indeed paid back your mortgage), what does it tell about your character and your trustworthiness with the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭User1998

Pointless argument. This will never reach court.

All OP needs to do is block the woman on Donedeal messenger and they will never hear from her again.

She messaged me yesterday saying she booked it with VW garage and she got appointment today and they inspected the car and told her the car needs new oil switch, a whole new timing chain kit and it will cost 2800€ and she is demanding me to pay 2000 toward repair or return the car for full refund otherwise she will be getting a solictor and contacting the guards
    I was told by last owner timing was done and i wrote to her that before buying it in DoneDeal and i told her to bring her own mechanic to inspect it.

Do you think it’s just the time to block her on DoneDeal ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

it is long past time to block her!

VW will say that it needs a new chain as they will err on the side of caution as they can't verify when it was last done.
    She had the opportunity to have the car checked over. Now she is looking for two grand just like that? GTF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

She messaged me yesterday saying she booked it with VW garage and she got appointment today and they inspected the car and told her the car needs new oil switch, a whole new timing chain kit and it will cost 2800€ and she is demanding me to pay 2000 toward repair or return the car for full refund otherwise she will be getting a solictor and contacting the guards
    I was told by last owner timing was done and i wrote to her that before buying it in DoneDeal and i told her to bring her own mechanic to inspect it.

She's not in a position to be making demands. It should be requests and a hope (not expectation) of goodwill. I would be very tempted to remind her of such just before you block her. She fully inspected the car, she bought the car, she owns the car. Nothing to do with you. She's also being a bit of a <insert expletive here>. Block via Donedeal and move on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Salim...listen to me carefully.

this car is not your responsibility. under irish law you have done everything legally. the car belongs to someone else now and any problems or issues the have with the car is their responsibility and theirs alone. its doesnt matter what the previous owner said about the timing chain or service history.

you can ignore her texts and calls from this point on. no solicitor or the gardai will be interested in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are not a trader and as such not expected to be knowledgeable about cars.

The woman knew this and had the car inspected before purchasing.

That is the risk of buying privately, she took the risk and lost out this time.

You are under no obligation to engage further.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

100% also a scam. They brought the 2 guys aswell as a deterrent so you'd be scared. Block and goodbye!

Who the fcuk books a €7k used VW into a VW garage for starters? Especially alleged major repairs like this, you'd go to a good private garage- defo a scam- she/they see you as a soft touch and are chancing their arms- not that it matters but where is the evidence of all this ??

Odd how she messaged on a Sunday too with booking, quote and details with such an instant quote- most franchise workshops I know operate a Mon-Friday with only parts/sales on a Sat morning. Does not add up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this thread a wind up?

So let me get this straight, she only bought the car on Saturday, yet had it booked it in, inspected and diagnosed by a VW dealer, all done by early Monday? Lol, that's some service from this VW dealer. I can tell you that you would be waiting days if not a week or longer for a slot at most dealer service areas at the moment so it sounds like she is just trying to scare you into paying up. As for the story about the solicitor, the only solicitor who would take on such a stupid case is Lionel Hutz who mends shoes also. The Gardai won't entertain her either as they will say it's a civil matter and nothing to do with them.

My spidey senses still think this thread is a bit dubious to be fully believed.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is this thread a wind up?

So let me get this straight, she only bought the car on Saturday, yet had it booked it in, inspected and diagnosed by a VW dealer, all done by early Monday? Lol, that's some service from this VW dealer. I can tell you that you would be waiting days if not a week or longer for a slot at most dealer service areas at the moment so it sounds like she is just trying to scare you into paying up. As for the story about the solicitor, the only solicitor who would take on such a stupid case is Lionel Hutz who mends shoes also. The Gardai won't entertain her either as they will say it's a civil matter and nothing to do with them.

My spidey senses still think this thread is a bit dubious to be fully believed.

it's entirely believable, that someone would try to scam someone else on a second hand car sale

but not enough effort into their lies to make it believable

i mean people have sold welded together scrapped cars

have removed engines and tried to return

the list goes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Tough luck on the buyer if its legit giving new problems. If your genuine then its not your fault. Unless you said the timing chain was done at xmiles and it wasn't then they can't do anything.

I know a girl who bought a car on done deal recently, the timing belt wasn't done but the seller said it was. It even had a fresh date wrote on it, but when it went to the mechanic's he said it wasn't done. She stuck with it now tho.

Advertisement