Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a route near Limerick city please?

• 14-05-2021 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm heading to Limerick soon (close to the city
    ) to meet up with some friends & planning a spin. They own bikes but probably gathering cobwebs...
    Anyone recommend a 3-4 hr spin, about 60-70km km roughly ,ideally away from busy roads, with a small climb or two thrown iI?
    I know there's the Limerick Greenway, I could be totally and utterly wrong but presume it's flat and not that scenic.
    Thanks,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm heading to Limerick soon (close to the city
    ) to meet up with some friends & planning a spin. They own bikes but probably gathering cobwebs...
    Anyone recommend a 3-4 hr spin, about 60-70km km roughly ,ideally away from busy roads, with a small climb or two thrown iI?
    I know there's the Limerick Greenway, I could be totally and utterly wrong but presume it's flat and not that scenic.
    Thanks,
    Pa

Up around this direction is nice. Lots of routes. Some steep parts. Relatively quiet roads.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/AsDyBLSuXhb1zwDm9

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you're up to it - Limerick City to Mountshannon (flat for the most part, nice scenic route you'd be hugging Lough Derg for most of it BUT the hills in Ogonnelloe are tough)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

fryup wrote: »
    if you're up to it - Limerick City to Mountshannon (flat for the most part, nice scenic route you'd be hugging Lough Derg for most of it BUT the hills in Ogonnelloe are tough)

Good shout.
    If that looks too long just pick any town up round that way as a turning point it's all nice country roads with the exception of the road to Killaloe.

Another option is to take the back road to Patrickswell which has a cycle lane and then just loop south round the city on country roads to Lough Gur. Keep the city on your left and if you get tired or bored it's easy just turn back for the city

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A few years ago I went from Limerick City out to Cratloe, followed the R462 out past Kilkishen to the L7016, stayed on that to Broadford and took the R466 to O'Briensbridge and then back to Limerick City.

Was a good spin.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    A few years ago I went from Limerick City out to Cratloe, followed the R462 out past Kilkishen to the L7016, stayed on that to Broadford and took the R466 to O'Briensbridge and then back to Limerick City.

Was a good spin.

Thats pretty similar to one I do most weeks just the other direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not familiar with Limerick roads so anyone tell me what route would have least traffic & ideally on a loop that'll bring us back to starting point.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not familiar with Limerick roads so anyone tell me what route would have least traffic & ideally on a loop that'll bring us back to starting point.

Around north Limerick/Clare I find you will be fine if you just stay off the main road to Killaloe and also you might get a bit on the road to Sixmilebridge. The rest are about as quiet as you are going to get in the area. Most of the roads round the Clare hills will only have the odd car as they are just roads to get to farms or small houses and not main roads between towns

Advertisement