Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling

• 16-05-2021 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Does anyone know of anywhere that will change Sterling to Euro? I have tried the post office and the bank and no joy, and I don't have a credit union account, any suggestions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Does anyone know of anywhere that will change Sterling to Euro? I have tried the post office and the bank and no joy, and I don't have a credit union account, any suggestions please

Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭914

lab man wrote: »
    Airport

Would have to be Dublin or Cork! WAT has no foreign exchange.

Why won't the bank or post office change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

If you have a bank account then you should be able to lodge it there.

I've never had a problem changing any of the popular currencies like Sterling or Dollars.

I'm presuming that you know they will only change notes, not coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

An Post only sells GBP and USD, they don’t buy them.

You should just try some other banks.

If you have a bank account, use that bank as you’ll often get charged lower fees.

Nobody will change coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭janisjoplin

914 wrote: »
    Would have to be Dublin or Cork! WAT has no foreign exchange.

Why won't the bank or post office change it?

Post office said they don't change sterling they only sell it and my bank (ptsb) said they stopped taking Sterling since April of this year

• Advertisement

An Post only sells GBP and USD, they don’t buy them.

You should just try some other banks.

If you have a bank account, use that bank as you’ll often get charged lower fees.

Nobody will change coins.
    tried my own bank and they wouldn't change, its notes I have no coins

Generally try a larger branch of BoI or AIB. Should be the most likely place to take it.

PTSB closed their cash Bureau de Change facilities on 21 April 2021.

If you have a bank account then you should be able to lodge it there.

I've never had a problem changing any of the popular currencies like Sterling or Dollars.

I'm presuming that you know they will only change notes, not coins.

yeah I tried my own bank, ptsb and they won't change it, even though its new Sterling notes, no coins

Generally try a larger branch of BoI or AIB. Should be the most likely place to take it.

perfect I'll try them tomorrow, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Economics101

Fexco has (or had) a foreign exchange bureau at the square Tallaght. Maybe they have other outlets. I found them excellent for buying Polish Zlotys

• Advertisement

yeah I tried my own bank, ptsb and they won't change it, even though its new Sterling notes, no coins

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/help-and-support/branch-transformation-faqs/

See above. They no longer offer the service.

The volumes of cash based foreign exchange have been falling anyway due to the Euro removing FX for the 19 Eurozone countries and in recent years, due to electronic the payment alternatives. They’ve made it generally much easier and cheaper for most people who need foreign currency. The days of bundles of cash and travellers cheques are long gone.

I would say this year the complete stop in tourism and hardly any travel at all is going to have had a huge impact.

Both AIB and Bank of Ireland seem to still offer it in branch. Just make sure to pick a full service branch. A lot of the smaller ones aren’t kitted out for cash transactions anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How did you end up with foreign cash in this day and age? Banks hate the public and loath cash so it's a really bad idea to have anything not in euros now.

It’s all part of their new business model - You give them your money and they treat you with contempt.

Oh, hold on.. no, sorry. That’s always been their business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

If you're not having any luck, maybe try sell/swap it to someone who's going to the Uk soon, once travel is back open, only thing I'd doubt you'd get the exchange rate, pound for euro maybe.

Or do you know anybody with an AIB?BOI?Credit Union account that would do it for you?

jimbojazz wrote: »
    If you're not having any luck, maybe try sell/swap it to someone who's going to the Uk soon, once travel is back open, only thing I'd doubt you'd get the exchange rate, pound for euro maybe.

Or do you know anybody with an AIB?BOI?Credit Union account that would do it for you?

Yeah my brother has an aib ill ask him tomorrow. Thank you everyone for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ulster bank on the queue will be able to do it if you have an account with them.

Other than that the last time i was stuck one of the internet cafes on o connell street bought it off me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

It’s all part of their new business model - You give them your money and they treat you with contempt.

Oh, hold on.. no, sorry. That’s always been their business model.

What is sterling? The brits use the UK £..........it never ceases to amaze me why Irish people insist on calling /referring to British money as ‘Sterling’.....ancient/archaic term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    What is sterling? The brits use the UK £..........it never ceases to amaze me why Irish people insist on calling /referring to British money as ‘Sterling’.....ancient/archaic term.

Why shouldn't people call it Sterling? Whether it is an ancient term is not the point. You do realise that one quarter of Ireland uses Sterling since the British still occupy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling
    The pound sterling (symbol: £; ISO code: GBP), known in some contexts simply as the pound or sterling,[2] is the official currency of the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Gibraltar, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, the British Antarctic Territory,[3][4] and Tristan da Cunha.[5] It is subdivided into 100 pence (singular: penny, abbreviated: p). The "pound sterling" is the oldest currency in continuous use. Some nations that do not use sterling also have currencies called the pound.

If you listen to financial chit chat, the value of Sterling is often referenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

It's always been called the Pound Sterling.

Advertisement