Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internal floor area

• 16-05-2021 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi, another thread got me thinking about this:

As far as I know, exempted extension of under 40 sq.m refers to internal floor area.
    Does anyone know if the 25 sq.m limit on an exempt detached garage refer to internal or external floor area?

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi, another thread got me thinking about this:

As far as I know, exempted extension of under 40 sq.m refers to internal floor area.
    Does anyone know if the 25 sq.m limit on an exempt detached garage refer to internal or external floor area?

Thanks

External

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭rayjdav

I would have said internal tbh. All areas measured from the internal face of the external wall inclusive.

rayjdav wrote: »
    I would have said internal tbh. All areas measured from the internal face of the external wall inclusive.

Its different for class 3

Class 1 clearly refers to "floor area" not exceeding 40 sq m

However there's a clear difference in class 3 where they refer to the "total area" not exceeding 25 sq m.

There has been many cases from ABP showing that they calculate the external area when deciding on class 3

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Prospectors

I can find this in relation to class 3 exemption.

2. The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a house shall not, taken together with any other such structures previously constructed, erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres.

I suppose it depends how you interprest the word TOTAL.
    Does it mean total external area, or total internal areas (to include other existing sheds).

Edit, just saw reply above regarding ABP interpretation, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭rayjdav

sydthebeat wrote: »

However there's a clear difference in class 3 where they refer to the "total area" not exceeding 25 sq m.

There has been many cases from ABP showing that they calculate the external area when deciding on class 3

I would have always interpreted that to mean that if there were multiple outbuildings their "total gross internal area" could not exceed the 25msq. I have lodged numerous garage applications to coco's over the years and have noted the GIFA with dimensions and never queried.

• Advertisement

rayjdav wrote: »
    I would have always interpreted that to mean that if there were multiple outbuildings their "total gross internal area" could not exceed the 25msq. I have lodged numerous garage applications to coco's over the years and have noted the GIFA with dimensions and never queried.

Applications are different though.

You'd need GIFAs for calculations of development contributions etc.

However I'm just going by ABPs interpretations of the regs, as we really don't have anything else to go by.

I've checked and passed numerous garages by internal floor measurement before I discovered this interpretation. Now I check them externally, to be on the safe side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would have always said internal area.
    Planning enforcement officers I know measure internal too.

Now, whether that’s right or wrong is for another thread!

I've just read a recent report from ABP where the inspector refers to the gross floor area of a shed as being internal.

So even ABPs inspectors differ from each other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

From Citizeninformation.ie ;
    Quote;

Building a garage at the back or side of a house so long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 metres in height (if it has a tiled/slated pitched roof) or three metres (if it has any other roof type). This building will be exempt from planning permission once the floor area of all additional structures (both new and previously added) is limited to 25 square metres. Garages or sheds to the side of the house must match the finish of the house and may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses. The new garage should not reduce the open space at the back or side of the to less than 25 square metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Could be read as total area of all additional buildings?

• Advertisement

Could be

But some ABP inspectors have read it as external area..... And some others haven't.

Like a lot of things in this country, it's vague and grey

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

That would be my reading of it also. I have certified a few of these over the years and always quoted internal measurements. That doesn't say I'm right but on a few occasions there would have been a second survey carried out by the lenders agent and it was never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Could be

But some ABP inspectors have read it as external area..... And some others haven't.

Like a lot of things in this country, it's vague and grey

ABP don’t make the rules. If inspectors are applying it as external, they are wrong. Human error I guess.

Floor area is measured internally.
    Footprint is measured externally.

The law indicates 25m2 floor area. The world total does not change how it is calculated.
    Unless the law specifically refers to the external area or footprint, then it’s internal.

Advertisement