Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extremely Quickfire Walrus

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Congrats Neo (again)

Excellent job Shane, a Walrus (sign-ups, ranking, and reveal) in less than an hour, now I've seen it all.
    it helped that I knew them all! Apart from The Purple Tin's obviously :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,271 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Trigger wrote: »
    Congrats Neo! some night!

Delighted with second place even if i have to share it! Love Jump around

You nearly had it all to yourself, my PM originally had Tubthumping by Chumbawumba and I changed it at the last minute. Probably a good thing, I doubt it would have come as high as second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

well done Neo, Shane,
    night y'all

Well done Neowise, some night you're having! :D

Thanks for running Shane, cool concept and a couple of new tunes for me to discover (I didn't recognise "Here Comes The Hotstepper" by the title but listening to it I recognise it now...still haven't pressed play on whatever it was the purple tin sent in!)

This was the other one on my shortlist, wonder if it would've done any better?

This was the other one on my shortlist, wonder if it would've done any better?
    Love it, maybe one or two places higher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That was entertaining, cracking tunes even though some artists had other hits

Thank you Shane and congrats Neocwise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

still haven't pressed play on whatever it was the purple tin sent in!)

It was my favourite of the lot. I would've crowned it the winner from this bunch (and I like all of the songs).

It was my favourite of the lot. I would've crowned it the winner from this bunch (and I like all of the songs).
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ecrogr8c5cr4cp27y4td8eqyf1folkht2t39q4om&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Registered Users Posts: 21,820 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Last post and I'm gone ,.in bed , Netflix - Breaking Bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah, I'd gone to bed and missed the fun!
    Great work Shane :)

How would Republica, Ready to Go have fared for me? That's what I'd have picked
    Her version is very good but I actually do prefer the grungey sound of the original.

Linky for those who haven't heard it.
    Kol wouldn't let that into the comp. Ednaswap wrote it but the first recorded version is the Danish one. It's in his walrus though ;)

Edit: Chesney Hawkes was 90s too, the king of the one hit wonders :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I was going to enter this but to be honest fell asleep trying to pick a song.
    What does one-hit-wonder mean?
    I see Lou Bega is here with Mambo number 5 but he had more than that.
    And someone mentioned Natalie Imbruglia had a decent enough music career, how is she a one-hit-wonder?

Only asking, not a complaint or anything.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

And someone mentioned Natalie Imbruglia had a decent enough music career, how is she a one-hit-wonder?

I generally think of it as one mega hit with everything else not being very notable, though she did have at least one more UK top 10...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,271 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ari101 wrote: »
    I generally think of it as one mega hit with everything else not being very notable, though she did have at least one more UK top 10...

I think that's very much the case. Until Toto said it to me one day, I had no idea that Hanson actually had other hits (she was a fan back in the day). I just looked it up and they actually had two other top 5 hits in the UK and another 5 in the top 40, but who can remember anything other than MMMBop? And given that the whole thing was done and dusted in an hour, it's only natural that songs will have been chosen that don't strictly meet the criteria. I'd say that there are very few of us would remember too many songs that were entered as anything other than one hit wonders. But the most important thing is that it was good craic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think Google and the internet in general are to blame for that... If you google One Hit Wonders of the 90s a few lists come up and both Torn and Mambo No. 5 are high up on most of them.

Considering this game was done in less than an hour total and people were rushing to pick something, the lines were always going to be slightly blurred in terms of fitting the category, but regardless of that, Walrus categories are always open to interpretation (its a bit like SHEEP in that there are no wrong answers) and whoever is judging can decide if the chosen songs fit the category well or not and take that into consideration when ranking. Sure its all meant to be a bit of fun at the end of the day. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Zaph wrote: »
    I think that's very much the case. Until Toto said it to me one day, I had no idea that Hanson actually had other hits (she was a fan back in the day). I just looked it up and they actually had two other top 5 hits in the UK and another 5 in the top 40, but who can remember anything other than MMMBop? And given that the whole thing was done and dusted in an hour, it's only natural that songs will have been chosen that don't strictly meet the criteria. I'd say that there are very few of us would remember too many songs that were entered as anything other than one hit wonders. But the most important thing is that it was good craic. :)

Oh I know that and ragin' I fell asleep (was driving most of the day) I am not trying to start an argument or complain, just wondering. I was trying to think of anything apart from MmmBop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Good on ya Neo, you were on fire last night.
    Nice work Shaney, you and Necs must surely take the record for the fastest ever Walrus and Sheep :eek: I can't see anyone doing one faster than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,820 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

How's the head this morning TPT?
    I take it you can see the screen again properly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    How's the head this morning TPT?
    I take it you can see the screen again properly :)
    Not too bad Mam thanks for asking.

A hangover effects the brain, therefore I feel only a small amount of pain ;)

Advertisement