Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Types of passing in GAA - help

• 14-05-2021 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Can someone help me I think I'm going crazy.

So tonight I was helping my husband learn the basics of football. We were going through the basics of hand passing and fist passing and then I recalled out of nowhere a third type of passing taught to me in sixth class by my GAA mad teacher called the pop-up pass or maybe the pop pass.
    To do this pass you make a fist but rotate your hand 90 degrees from standard fist pass so the ball hits the top of your hand between fingers and thumb - your thumb is not in the fist obviously.

I personally have never ever used it through my time playing football, never heard of it post sixth class and cannot find anything on Google. I am beginning to think I made this up but the memory of it is very clear and the teacher was super into GAA so I don't think he was making it up for the craic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Haven't played football in years but I used always play hand pass with the top of my fist as you described. Never used the palm or rarely across the closed fingers and palm combo

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭thefa

To me a pop pass is just a short, soft handpass onto a runner rather than a specific technique.

Think open handed is more accurate. Clenched fist if you’re trying to leather it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I'd guess this was just a technique he used for helping beginners pick up the skill of a short handpass, similar to how young kids are taught to spin the ball onto their foot when they're learning to solo for the first time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Lougho

Pop pass is used when a player is running into the trajectory of the pass so it's a slight rest under the ball at 90° pop it up into the bread basket and they dont break stride

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bauney

Never heard of the term nor ever seen it been taught as a technique but I have seen it used in games locally and on on TV. I would say it originates from Aussie Rules. Perhaps that point of that oval ball is easier to pass that way. I have used in at times in training and club games. Like alot of things, it takes a while to condition/harden that part of hand as it is uncomfortable at first.
    I believe it is easier to control a soft gentle pass this way rather than (a) risk a too hard closed fist pass that is too hard or (b) risk an open handpass that ref could call for throwing as the action is so gentle. This pass is usually very flat and straight (not a lofting lobbing pass over guys) Thats my thinking.
    You see intercounty guys going it such as Dublin's James McCarthy.

• Advertisement

Never heard of the term nor ever seen it been taught as a technique but I have seen it used in games locally and on on TV. I would say it originates from Aussie Rules. Perhaps that point of that oval ball is easier to pass that way. I have used in at times in training and club games. Like alot of things, it takes a while to condition/harden that part of hand as it is uncomfortable at first.
    I believe it is easier to control a soft gentle pass this way rather than (a) risk a too hard closed fist pass that is too hard or (b) risk an open handpass that ref could call for throwing as the action is so gentle. This pass is usually very flat and straight (not a lofting lobbing pass over guys) Thats my thinking.

Example of it in AFL.
    Meant to add in previous post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Lougho

bauney wrote: »

Pop pass is used in most teams now that use running half backs. James McCarthy, Jack, Lee Keegan are players I see using it alot

Advertisement