Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia Stage 7: Notaresco to Termoli (181km)

• 14-05-2021 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭

Back to the sprinters today with another relatively flat stage which largely hugs the coast as they head further south. The second half in particular is very flat, although there is a slight rise to the finish which might favour the punchier sprinters, although the bookies still seem to see it as a fairly standard sprint judging by the odds.

In that context Ewan was untouchable the other day and it's hard to see anyone but himself or maybe Merlier winning.

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-7-map-774f63006f.png

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-7-profile-n3-e602033667.jpg

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-7-finish-ac0f7de8dd.png

giro-d-italia-2021-stage-7-climb-1b8f178d33.jpg

Odds from Bet365
    Caleb Ewan 2/1
    Tim Merlier 7/2
    Giacomo Nizzolo 11/2
    Peter Sagan 13/2
    Dylan Groenewegen 10/1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

btw I won't be able to do the weekend threads so open call for anyone that fancies it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This is a Peter Sagan stage with Dan Martin as a very sneaky dark horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I don't think the finish is hilly enough for Sagan and definitely not for the likes of Dan. Its also too far out.

However the last km is another mess, with tight turns and street furniture.

There is a very good summary of the last few km, including Streetview photos on this Site

Oh sorry, I thought the climb in the profile was the finish :pac:

Oh sorry, I thought the climb in the profile was the finish :pac:

First profile above with the chequered in it flag is the finish :)

• Advertisement

Pozzovivo is a non starter after a crash yesterday. Damaged his elbow according to Hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How much time is Remco good for in the long 33km TT in the final stage over an average GC Rider like Yates, Bernal, Dan Martin? Up to 90 seconds odd?

However the last km is another mess, with tight turns and street furniture.

There is a very good summary of the last few km, including Streetview photos on this Site

The photo at 400m in particular looks like trouble.

Inquitus wrote: »
    How much time is Remco good for in the long 33km TT in the final stage over an average GC Rider like Yates, Bernal, Dan Martin? Up to 90 seconds odd?

He took about 20 seconds over Bernal and Carthy in the prologue, maybe a minute or more over the 30km TT on the final day?

Enfilade wrote: »
    He took about 20 seconds over Bernal and Carthy in the prologue, maybe a minute or more over the 30km TT on the final day?

And quite possibly another chunk over Dan too.

• Advertisement

The photo at 400m in particular looks like trouble.

If I had to pick a very outside bet for today, I'd go for the likes of Ganna with a Cancellara-stylee finish. That ramp at 1500m is about 10% for 150m. He can't outjump the sprinters teams but he could burn them on current form. The last 1200m is messy enough that the sprinters teams may end up falling over themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If I had to pick a very outside bet for today, I'd go for the likes of Ganna with a Cancellara-stylee finish. That ramp at 1500m is about 10% for 150m. He can't outjump the sprinters teams but he could burn them on current form. The last 1200m is messy enough that the sprinters teams may end up falling over themselves.

Only if Ineos allow him! It does look like something Cancellera or even Tony Martin would try and use the ramp to attack

I think all the GC lads will be fighting to be at the front and there could be chaos.

Dodge wrote: »
    Only if Ineos allow him! It does look like something Cancellera or even Tony Martin would try and use the ramp to attack

I think all the GC lads will be fighting to be at the front and there could be chaos.

He's given them a stage win, a pink jersey and worked his plums off yesterday (even if they ultimately made a pigs ear of their advantage). They might give him a little treat today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, I hope Danhole can stay out of trouble til the race hits the mountains. So far so good - nothing disastrous in the TT, picked up time over a few rivals, and hasn't been taken out by a flying squirrel or anything ridiculous. Whatever about time, with stages like today's and Wednesday's, I take him losing a small bit of time if it meant him staying upright.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hannah Walker is a brilliant commentator. More of her please

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

For some reason I've watched the last 20 km. Highlights have included Ganna having a chat with Viviani, and the peloton going through the litter zone :pac:

I just paid attention again and they're talking about somebody who likes Colombian sweets.

20 km to go

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Eisel said there's train tracks right before the end?

Now if assume there recessed into the ground, but that's the sort of thing that shouldn't be at the end of a stage.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Eisel said there's train tracks right before the end?

Now if assume there recessed into the ground, but that's the sort of thing that shouldn't be at the end of a stage.

Bridge over the tracks rather than on-road tracks, I think

• Advertisement

Serious speed in the peloton now

Serious speed in the peloton now

I think Hatch may faint.

Wow - some job by Ewan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Wow - some job by Ewan!

Looks like Sagan had a bike problem - relatively easy for Ewan, hasn't much competition really it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

So strong. Won it by a mile

Nizzolo and Sagan not even in the top 10.

De Bhál wrote: »
    Looks like Sagan had a bike problem - relatively easy for Ewan, hasn't much competition really it seems

I think he was doing a bit of bumping and grinding before that

They completely missed that on coms, he took a wobble against the barrier I think.

The engine is a bit shagged these days

• Advertisement

That was awesome from Ewan.

Hugh Carthy with a mechanical... does he lose time?

Advertisement