Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is bike parking not more ubiquitous and what can be done to normalise cycling ?

• 14-05-2021 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

At most supermarkets, there is a myriad of car parking but at most there is no bike parking. Where I grew up and where half of me comes from (Sweden) bike parking is very ubiquitous, it's seen as something normal.

If a supermarket employee wants to cycle to work for example, there is no place to park. There is no place for me to park my bike at work either should I choose (I don't btw because drivers are lethal on my commute to work).
    I could only imagine the shop managers reaction if a worker in Ireland asked for bike storage. Add to the fact that you can bet a months wages your bike will be gone if it's in any way decent when you finish your shift or possible damaged due to the frustration if it's locked of not being able to steal it.

Also, why are there so few female cyclists here commuting or going to school? I'm a 28 year old Swedish girl, teenage girls and girls in their 20's regularly use bikes in Sweden, regardless of whether or not they have a car.

What needs to change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Planning permission, and grants to add facilities.

fwiw, after nearly 6 years of me pushing my employer, they're finally installing a cage. I was in the Office yesterday and the team looking after it brought me down, and I think I've managed to convince them it needs sheffield stands not the wheel in yolks that are weaker metal than my lock!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Whatever about where you work, or where you shop - sure lots of people can't have bikes were they live! Apartment blocks with no (or crappy) bike parking and not allowed to bring bikes into the block or apartment or onto balconies. Kerrayzeeniss

saw a news article yesterday saying 7000 bikes stolen in Ireland since January 2020, that will probably put a lot of people off,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

saw a news article yesterday saying 7000 bikes stolen in Ireland since January 2020, that will probably put a lot of people off,

Aye, unfortunately most Bike Parking that is provided is sub standard, and if you are putting a bike there every day i.e. commuting it's easy for someone to take note, obtain required tools, and come back and steal it at a later date. The minimum that should be considered by a workplace imho is a cage that is controlled by passcard or key, with good concrete fixed points inside to easily lock the bike and wheels to properly. Ideally it would be covered by a Camera and in an indoor locked carpark, or right out the front of reception in the most visible position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

fat bloke wrote: »
    Apartment blocks with no (or crappy) bike parking and not allowed to bring bikes into the block or apartment or onto balconies.

When I lived in an apartment I just brought it up to my balcony anyway.
    Bikes were regularly stolen in the underground carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they don't provide bike racks because there's not enough demand for cycling, i suspect would be a large part of the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I always wondered why there hasn't been more cages installed and even pay by hr parking fees attached.

I would happily pay a few euro to keep the bike safe, still way cheaper than car parking and for many bikes, ebikes and escooters it would be value for money. Even on the state if they weighed up the cost of bike crime in gardai time (assuming they actually do something about it) - it would be worth while.

Overall Ireland is failing with regards to creating a bike friendly situation - I don't use mine and when i use the escooter i bring it into stores with me (a pain but better safe than sorry).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

they don't provide bike racks because there's not enough demand for cycling, i suspect would be a large part of the answer.

My local Tesco and SuperValu have shops beside them, cafes, butchers etc and there's only ever 1 or 2 bikes locked at them at most and they're frequently empty. There's simply no need to change anything as there's no demand.

There's very few cyclists on the road in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've noticed around my way in Dublin 5, they are putting sheffield stands in the most ridiculous places where no one is ever going to park their bike, the corners of roads where there is absolutely no reason anyone would stop there.
    I think they're just trying to waste a budget they've been allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

DaveyDave wrote: »
    My local Tesco and SuperValu have shops beside them, cafes, butchers etc and there's only ever 1 or 2 bikes locked at them at most and they're frequently empty. There's simply no need to change anything as there's no demand.

There's very few cyclists on the road in the grand scheme of things.

Plenty of cyclists, without the correct infastructure people wont cycle to the shop, in My local Lidl I have to lock my bike to the trolly stand. On the other hand with my employer (when the office was open) it was a fight to get into the secure bike storage first and it is a first come first serve basis. Since covid has started they have put in more bike storage.

• Advertisement

As a want to be cyclist I stopped because it was so dodgy storing the bike.
    I actually got an e scooter as it can fold up and be stored easily enough. Also get away with bringing it into shops (becoming an issue now due to kids sadly).
    I really doubt i am alone on this front, Especially when it comes to City centers, if the storage for a few thousand bikes was there I dare say it would be utilised very quickly.
    Most people I know who cycle right now try to use workplace store rooms etc.

Also lets be honest as a car driver as well - I use the car for the weekly shop so saying no bikes outside Tesco just fits common sense - hardly getting the weeks shopping into my back pack now am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Also lets be honest as a car driver as well - I use the car for the weekly shop so saying no bikes outside Tesco just fits common sense - hardly getting the weeks shopping into my back pack now am I.
    When I was commuting, I wouldn't have had to do the "big" shop if there was secure bike parking. I could've stopped a few times over the week.

I actually did this regularly when we were camping in France - I'd stop off on the way home from my morning spin at the local lidl. Two pannier bags full is more than you'd think!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't own a car so I do all my shopping by bike, many people do, some adequate bike parking is hardly too much to ask for

Macy0161 wrote: »
    When I was commuting, I wouldn't have had to do the "big" shop if there was secure bike parking. I could've stopped a few times over the week.

I actually did this regularly when we were camping in France - I'd stop off on the way home from my morning spin at the local lidl. Two pannier bags full is more than you'd think!

No argument was just responding to davey who was a saying bike racks at his local supervalu were under utilised.

If I could leave the bike or scooter safe I'd use them even more.

Had really hoped with the greens in Gov they would have done more on this front.

I did see a company has applied for planning in Dublin City centre for pay per hr/day lockers aimed at ebikes and escooters. Hopefully these take off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Nobody's expected to do the weekly shop with a bike if you have a family and kids but there's a huge number of people driving to get bread and milk or just get a bags worth of stuff. The self service queues are always huge in my Tesco, a huge number of people are within walking/cycling distance. There's also a SuperValu and Lidl 5 minutes away with a second Lidl 15 minutes away.

People can cycle if they want to, they just don't. Obviously there's scenarios where you're on the way home from work or something or have kids with you, fair enough. A large majority of the population are just lazy.

Going back to my original point, the bike racks are limited/crap because there's no demand and considering how many people go to these places and aren't doing a weekly shop, the opportunity to cycle is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

they don't provide bike racks because there's not enough demand for cycling...
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    ...There's simply no need to change anything as there's no demand...

... want to be cyclist I stopped because it was so dodgy storing the bike...
    I really doubt i am alone on this front, Especially when it comes to City centers, if the storage for a few thousand bikes was there I dare say it would be utilised very quickly.

Chicken and Egg... If you build it, they will come...Build for cars, get cars - build for bikes, get bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I started with sdcc recently and it's quite the opposite.
    Secure bike parking that is covered from the elements. A stationery bike pump and various tools (on a suspension wire) that you fix your bike with.
    Its really good to see and I went out and bought a 2nd bike tonight as a run around. Going to cycle more now because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,289 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

One thing that can be done is to keep highlighting the need to retailers.

Talk to the local manager in the shop. Flag it up on Twitter or whatever social media you use. Keep banging the drum. Don't expect results quickly, but it does change thinking over the years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Last Autumn, Tesco Maynooth introduced these pay as you go bike cabinet things outside their front door. No other bike parking facilities immediately visible.
    I emailed them asking why there was ton of free car parking yet the only visible bike parking was payable. Would they not provide some Sheffield stands to encourage customers to cycle?
    Got a reply back a few days later saying that whilst the cabinets are a non-Tesco venture and there was a of places around the retail park at which you could leave your bike. As it turns out these are all the wheel rack things that I wouldn't put a bike near.
    The likes of Aldi and Lidl are good at having Sheffield stands. My local SuperValu and Tesco (not Maynooth) don't have anything.

Also, I emailed Liffey Valley customer services a few days ago asking if they had anywhere to leave bikes as there is nothing about it on their website (even their "Getting Here" page refers to cars, busses, coaches and trains but nothing about bikes). Anyhow, they must be very busy as there's been no reply :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My office has 30+ spots, all Sheffield's. All secure (in so much that nobody even locks). Showers available. Most I've seen is 4 bikes and one escooter. Often my bike is on its own.

The crazy **** on the roads is the problem. Blame AGS 90% and 10% apartment developers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ED E wrote: »
    My office has 30+ spots, all Sheffield's. All secure (in so much that nobody even locks). Showers available. Most I've seen is 4 bikes and one escooter. Often my bike is on its own.
    how many people in the building?

you'd often have seen 60 bikes in the bike shed where i work, but AFAIK there would typically be over one and a half thousand people in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

how many people in the building?

you'd often have seen 60 bikes in the bike shed where i work, but AFAIK there would typically be over one and a half thousand people in the building.

Not a huge number but enough that we nearly always run out of car parking.

A colleague was cut up by a car 100m from our front gate. Car in the wrong. Driver got out and decked my colleague. Facilities help but they're secondary to the game of dodgems that is Irish roads.

Advertisement